Custom trailer build starting

techspy

I am having a local custom trailer builder put together a frame for me to customize. It will be a 4x6 bed that is framed to 4 feet tall. I will enclose and finish it myself. I am sourcing parts and hope you guys can point me to some unknown sites with some good deals.

- Entrance door. Looking for a side entrance door with window and screen. So far this is the only one I have been able to find; https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Teardro...c:g:gGwAAOSwL9pacLIH:sc:UPSGround!28105!US!-1

- Rear large cargo door. This seems to be the best deal I have found so far but I would like one larger. Like 36" to 48"x 36"; https://www.ebay.com/itm/clay-48-x-...220161?hash=item1eea421cc1:g:s6EAAOSwRNRbIUbk

- Underbody tool box- I want to get a couple of these to mount in the sides, above the wheels for storage and to act as the top of the fenders. 36"to 48" long is what I am looking for. I have found aluminum and polymer such as these; https://www.amazon.com/Lund-76248-4...537585471&sr=1-10&keywords=underbody+tool+box

I will be documenting the build here. Thanks for any info.

techspy

Yep, it will be for sleeping when the awning/room is too cold. About $700 for the trailer. This is the one i showed them to model it after. It should be just like this but with a flat roof line and longer triangle tongue for mounting a box. Pict taken from another build thread on here.

Attachments

• trl.jpg
    trl.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Subscribed. Interest to see how this turns out, what material will you be using to enclose it? I’m starting on my camper platform build on my XJ so keeping all living setups in mind.

techspy

I will be using sheet aluminum. There is a distributor nearby. I think it will cost me about $200 total to cover the sides and top. There will be rigid foam inside that and then paneling of some sort.

Yeah, I saw that website already. It seems they are the same parts I linked to. I was hoping there was another source for doors etc that weren't as expensive. I am able to find surplus RV windows etc pretty cheap but none as a small door that is lockable, has a screen option etc.

Louisd75

Adventurer
Yeah, I saw that website already. It seems they are the same parts I linked to. I was hoping there was another source for doors etc that weren't as expensive. I am able to find surplus RV windows etc pretty cheap but none as a small door that is lockable, has a screen option etc.

That's Vintage Technologies (if you look at the seller name you linked to and the name of the company I linked to you'll see they're the same vendor). They sell stuff on Amazon and eBay, but they mark it up a bit for those sites. It's cheaper to buy directly through them, but it usually involves an email and a phone call. There's not a whole lot of competition unfortunately. You may be able to get the price down a bit if there's a teardrop manufacturer near you that uses the doors and buys them in bulk.

It seems like those doors are always between $300 and $400. They're a frequent topic on the teardrop builder forums... It's faster to buy a door, cheaper to build a door, time vs money. It may be cheaper to buy a big RV cargo door and convert it but I'm not sure you'll like the results. The inexpensive RV cargo doors I've looked at all seemed pretty flimsy, the stout ones weren't inexpensive.

techspy

Yep, I have learned there seems to only be one manufacturer. I did find some for about $150 that just don't have the screen and opening window in the door. May go that route and just add another screened window on the other side. They can be had for about $50-75 it seems.

Mr. T

How do you plan to attach your awning fixed or adjustable like my awning.

Attachments

• IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 48

techspy

Oh actually I am attaching it to my Suburban. I have thought about making an awning mount for the trailer but not at first anyway. I do like the way you have yours mounted though.

Mr. T

Oh actually I am attaching it to my Suburban. I have thought about making an awning mount for the trailer but not at first anyway. I do like the way you have yours mounted though.

The advantage to having the awning attached to trailer is you can still use your vehicle without having to take down the awning first.

Last edited:

techspy

True but I will be using the awning at times when I am not actually out camping etc and wont have the trailer. I go target shooting and other outdoor stuff where I would want the shade.

techspy

The builder will be picking up the axle today so it shouldn't be long before I get the trailer. I am trying to decide on wheels/tires. I am leaning towards a 15x8" steel wheel with 235/75r15 all terrain tires. I have found some pictures showing this combination and they look like what I am after. Any suggestions welcome. It will be pulled by my Suburban for reference so I am wanting it to be similar in stance.

burb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior