custom propane tank

jrfromafar

Adventurer
I have 6" width in a wheel well next to my camper where I want to store a propane tank.

is a configuration like this possible (without breaking the bank:) ??

custom propane tank1.JPG

Dazrin

Adventurer
I have 6" width in a wheel well next to my camper where I want to store a propane tank.

is a configuration like this possible (without breaking the bank:) ??

I highly doubt you will be able to get one with angles like those. There is a reason they are cylinders.

jrfromafar

Adventurer
I doubt it too. Am racking my brain trying to figure out where or how to carry a propane tank. Don't want to mount it on the back of the camper, and don't want to have to use a hitch cargo box. And there's that empty space in the wheel well with just a 6" width, not accessible from inside the camper.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.....

drifter_r6

Observer
I researched a slim-line cylinder in past but can't find the specifics/links any longer. :( Don't quote me, but I believe they make a 6lb propane cylinder that is 22"x6.5". Connect 2-3 of those together and you should be good for 18lbs. Here's a pic I kept:

6lb.jpg

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Pressurized gas is always in cylinders since that is the best shape to hold the pressure.

And here in the US propane fill stations are required to check the DOT inspection date on a tank before filling. You might be able to get a slacky tech to fill your custom tank without checking the date, but probably not every time.

If you happened to get in an accident and a lawyer found you were using a non-DOT approved tank you could be open for liability.

I highly doubt you could get the DOT to inspect and approve a custom tank, even if it wasn't cost prohibitive.

You could also look into forklift tanks. They come in a variety of sizes, but you need to find one designed for the proper orientation. Most forklift tanks I've seen are designed for horizontal mounting. The pick-up tube will be in the wrong place if you mount a tank in an orientation it's not designed for.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Just a thought, but if you are only running one or two appliances, like say a two-burner cooktop and occasionally a heater, you could use that area as custom storage for several 'disposable' cylinders, or if you want something a little more refill-friendly, some BernzOmatic cylinders. Matter of fact, you may be able to put a two-bottle manifold in there and have room for extra cylinder storage.

java

Expedition Leader
The cylinder Drifter posted are still available. Just expensive and hard to find. I have an ~8lb tank, its only 8" diameter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles