Custom overland camper from 5 tons

jcdostie

The project is:
1- Have a comfortable ride. I mean Air Ride. The idea is to have Air Suspension at the front and rear by removing most of the spring leaves

2- My girlfriend wants to have a car instead of a motorcycle. The smallest car I can find that’s street legal in Canada is a Smart. So, for me, I don’t want to tow a car or a trailer in the back. That’s the garage part. We will have to extend the frame and move back the axles

Those 2 steps are gonna be done this fall

Let’s see after if we meet our 2 criteria. Then we can move on to the cam’er side

JC

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Observer
Good luck on the build! I love the Franken-cab. Some don’t, but I think it looks cool on the inside and out.

Keep us updated on your suspension mods. That is a very important upgrade to these vehicles.

I have considered replacing my rear cab mounts with air ride bags, but need to make sure it doesn’t effect steering linkage, electrical, AC hoses or wiring.

A big rig spring shop should be able to design a front end spring/air bag combo that will do a lot to tame the ride. The rear may be a bit more complicated if I want to keep the articulation.

jcdostie

The front and the rear suspension is not very complicated to change to air ride.
For the rear, simply remove most of the spring leafs (leave 2 for the longitudinal rigidity) and put 2 balloons at the front and rear end to get the suspension on air. Then, add 2 torque rod for each differentials.
Like that
a685d6a99c474da9ee8e50d790d0944b.jpg

JC

pairospam

Observer
Hi, JC:

I understand pretty well why you want to swap to air suspension. This things look terrific but the drive is miserable.

Why do you want to add torque rods and leave a couple of leaves for lateral control of the differentials? IMHO, if you want to put air as the suspension system for the truck, then get rid of the leaves and install a nice panhard rod.

The original links are more than capable of holding the differentials in place while moving up and down, and the panhard provides smooth lateral control of the movement following its arc.

Moreover, eliminating the leaves makes the differentials independent one from the other, making the ride even smoother, especially when offroading.

Just a thought.

Good luck with your project.

Pairoa

jcdostie

Hi, JC:

I understand pretty well why you want to swap to air suspension. This things look terrific but the drive is miserable.

Why do you want to add torque rods and leave a couple of leaves for lateral control of the differentials? IMHO, if you want to put air as the suspension system for the truck, then get rid of the leaves and install a nice panhard rod.

The original links are more than capable of holding the differentials in place while moving up and down, and the panhard provides smooth lateral control of the movement following its arc.

Moreover, eliminating the leaves makes the differentials independent one from the other, making the ride even smoother, especially when offroading.

Just a thought.

Good luck with your project.

Pairoa

Thanks Pairoa for the idea. I will explore that this week. You’re right about panhard rod. I’ll keep posting more

JC

Chuckles!

Observer
JC, did you consider the M927, M928, or M942 series trucks? They are extended-wheelbase versions that have a bed long enough for a standard 20' ISO container.

The modern cabover replacement versions are M1085, M1086, and M1096.

quickfarms

Adventurer
The spring suspension can be tuned to work fantastic for an RV. With an RV the load is constant so you just need to have all the springs rebuilt for the actual weight plus a little cushion. On my truck I had the suspension, all 6 springs rebuilt to cover what it actually weights plus 5,000 lbs and now it rides better than my wife’s car. The air ride seats in the cab barely move now and this was a lot cheaper than doing an air ride conversion.

a9bec15c29d9c26f2d3afb510ef7a7b1.jpg

Chuckles!

Observer
Here's a long-wheelbase one that just popped up on eBay, looks clean and not too far from Quebec:

jcdostie

I told you we are moving to another project, I will start a new post with it....FREE STAR is coming alive
JC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles