Custom Netbook Topo GPS system

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I like it. Can't wait to see pics of it installed.

Here's an idea in case you hadn't considered it... apply uhmw or some other low wearing, non-marring material to the surfaces that contact that 'pretty white' notebook.:ylsmoke:

So it stays white.:victory:

sprocket3

Adventurer
How long does the gps last on batteries? Myself I went with a wired gps (USB) setup because I didn't want to be concerned with possible bluetooth issues or having to constantly change gps batteries or remove them for extended non-use periods.

As for putting the topo software on the faster 8gb drive, you may find it runs fine on the bigger 'slower' drive too which will allow windows to run better since it will have more swap space available on that primary drive.

Thats some nice fab work. Def post pics of it in place w/ the Laptop & Monitor mounted. Also, how will it fare in an accident? Hopefully not an issue w/ it becoming a projectile?

The battery lasts a long time (over 12 hours), but I have had a couple bluetooth issues and would rather use a USB unit at this time. I really can't say that I have ever used anything bluetooth that worked very well.

I wish i had just installed everything on the large drive except windows at this point like you did. I'm worried in will need to redo stuff as I get the disk full error all the time now after installing updates.

Thanks, I didn't use the monitor and went with only the laptop screen. If I was going to do it again I would use the smaller ASUS as it's close enough to my face I don't need that big of a screen.

sprocket3

Adventurer
I like it. Can't wait to see pics of it installed.

Here's an idea in case you hadn't considered it... apply uhmw or some other low wearing, non-marring material to the surfaces that contact that 'pretty white' notebook.:ylsmoke:

So it stays white.:victory:

Well it's a little late, but good idea. It's not so pretty now.

sprocket3

Adventurer
Here are some pics of the final install. I painted the mount black and used velcro to hold the things in place on the front. Also the velcro helps to hold the screen closed on rough roads.

Seems to work great and I like having the dash area free.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN2938.JPG
    DSCN2938.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 507
  • DSCN2939.JPG
    DSCN2939.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 505
  • DSCN2940.JPG
    DSCN2940.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 506
  • DSCN2941.JPG
    DSCN2941.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 505
  • DSCN2942.JPG
    DSCN2942.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:

HeftySmurf

Observer
I just started a new project and thought I would do a build thread here instead of the Land Cruiser site. I decided to do new GPS system based on a netbook, holux gps and a custom 3 key input system.

Here is a quick breakdown:

1) Asus Eee 1000 with 40gb Solid State Drive
2) Holux GPS slave unit.
3) Datalux LMV10x LCD display
4) Logitec Trackball
5) Custom "keyboard" that consists of "Cntrl" "G" and "T" keys.
6) NatGeo Topo software

The plan is to mount the Datalux on the dash board in a custom mount that keeps it out of the way yet still lets me see it when driving. I went with this Datalux model as it seems to have enough power to be viewable during the day in the sun. I don't have it yet but i'm guessing it will be based on the specs.

I'm going to put the ASUS behind the driver seat in the pocket and attempt not to even touch it during the trips. The display will be on the dash and all the TOPO commands that I ever use are Mouse and Cntrl - T/G to run the GPS.

So today I took apart a USB keyboard that I had and figured out what does what to the point that I'm ready to make my three key input device that will also hold my trackball and sit on the arm rest of my Land Cruiser. Should be easy with a little soldering onto the keyboard circuit board.

http://www.datalux.com/lcd_lmv10.asp

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product1000.html

Wow, I understood GPS......... but I have no clue what your talking about!!!:coffee:

pesimsmd

How where you able to have the display screen rotated 180 degrees. is it located in the native software or was it a program you added to get it to rotate. I have the Acer One Series that I use with a computer table in my 100. It would be nice to build a setup you you have to get things out of my way. Do you find it hard not have access to your rear view mirror?

Thanks

sprocket3

Adventurer
How where you able to have the display screen rotated 180 degrees. is it located in the native software or was it a program you added to get it to rotate. I have the Acer One Series that I use with a computer table in my 100. It would be nice to build a setup you you have to get things out of my way. Do you find it hard not have access to your rear view mirror?

Thanks

The display driver that came with the Asus and seems to be a standard windows driver for XP had that feature. It's under settings, rotate.

It doesn't bother me too much. I also find that I put it up a lot of the time as well. I might drive a road for an hour or two and only use the screen a couple times to see if I should turn or not.

Also I would use the smaller Asus if I had the chance to do it again. Though I don't plan on doing that again as the mount was a pain to make.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Also I would use the smaller Asus if I had the chance to do it again. Though I don't plan on doing that again as the mount was a pain to make.

I prefer the smaller netbook as well (although I have an Acer) and with my rig, the mount took me all of 20 minutes to fabricate...:Wow1: albeit I didn't mount it on the roof... but then again my layout affords me to mount it directly to my dash and attached the purposefully light netbook to the mount via Velcro.

2449143270104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

2309803150104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Strizzo

Explorer
The display driver that came with the Asus and seems to be a standard windows driver for XP had that feature. It's under settings, rotate.

It doesn't bother me too much. I also find that I put it up a lot of the time as well. I might drive a road for an hour or two and only use the screen a couple times to see if I should turn or not.

windows will also do it with a keyboard shortcut, CTRL + ALT + the arrow keys let you rotate the display 90,180,and 270 from "normal". this way you don't have to go through settings menus

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Very cool idea, and well executed. I like the headliner mount.

Quick question: how much did this run you? I'm looking at doing one of the EEE pc's, but primarily for Ham digital comms, and I was going to dedicate a Lowrance GPS for the mapping/tracking stuff.

Price is always important though...I wonder if it's cheaper to do the Asus v. the Lowrance, or if it works out about the same. Lowrance units I'm looking at run $600 to $1400 or so...depends on bells and which whistles you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior