Custom made hitch mount swing out spare tire carrier on 2017 WK2

MccannUSA

Hello all,
Just got my swing out tire carrier finished up and ready for powder coat! It was custom made by Detours Offroad and is fantastic! If your thinking about getting one I would definitely look into these. He custom makes each one, vehicle specific and mine came out great. Great fit and comes ready for paint or powder coat. I added the gas strut to mine but if I would have thought about it when I ordered it, I'm sure I could have gotten it that way. Cost is comparable to Wilco.
20180625_190716.jpg20180625_190724.jpg20180625_190755.jpg20180625_190806.jpg20180625_190840.jpg

Last edited:

MccannUSA

If you didn't have bag on tire, would the backup camera still be somewhat functional?
yes but not great still. The way it sits now I can see the ground behind the bumper/ under the spare tire, so I still can see when to stop to not hit things down low right behind me but can't see anything higher than the bumper. With the bag off I can see some things up high that are off to the sides (thru the spokes) but can't really see anything directly behind me at all.

MccannUSA

What bag is that on the tyre?
That is a bag made by Nomad Adventure Gear. This one is the smaller one that was made to go on the ladder, but works well on the tire too. They also have a bigger one that goes on the tire as well. They are not yet available for sale but will be soon. If you want updates just let me know or I have a facebook page at McCann USA to follow while the web site is being finished.

aaen

Adventurer
yeah, I'd like updates, I figure i have another couple of trips left in the old trasharoo. then she will go the way of the garage bin.

Alloy

Is there something beside the latch to keep it from swinging out if the latch releases?

MccannUSA

Is there something beside the latch to keep it from swinging out if the latch releases?
Nothing else to stop it from opening, although I wouldn't mind setting it up to accept a lock so that it can't be opened, accidentally or otherwise. The gas strut does stop it from opening too far and hitting the side of the vehicle though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles