Custom LiFePO4 Accessory Battery Cabinet and DC|DC Charging System - FJ Cruiser

itllgrowback

IMG-20221209-151310475-2-1.jpg

I recently spent some time troubleshooting why my Dometic CFX3 55IM fridge wasn't performing like I thought it should. The long and short of that was voltage drop and the limits of the one battery; even with their upgraded 10ga hardwire kit and a good AGM battery, the setup was simply not able to supply enough voltage to both power the fridge as needed, and keep the starting battery at a proper state-of-charge. So I decided to install a dedicated LiFePO4 battery and DC|DC charger to supply the fridge and any other future devices. (Offroad lights and radios, etc, are powered through a distribution block which is still fed by the starting battery, but those devices are generally only in use while the engine is running).

So for this project, I needed a battery, a charger, some heavy cable, some outputs, lots of bits and bobs, and a cabinet to house it all. I'm going to try to document all the pertinent info here for the future and in case it's helpful to anyone else. A lot of the following is already well-published here, but I learned a lot and maybe it'll help someone else to have it organized this way.

Electrical Theory:

Lithium-ion Batteries for an Accessory Setup:

Compared to Sealed Lead-Acid (SLA) batteries, Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries can be discharged more deeply (80% versus 50% for SLA) and they can be discharged many more times without losing capacity (2000-4000 times for LiFePO4 versus something in the hundreds for SLA). Lithium-ion batteries also recharge much more quickly than SLA batteries do. Their discharge curve is very flat and voltage stays higher compared to SLA - a fully charged and rested LiFePO4 will hold something like 13.5v and will still provide something around 13v at 80% discharged; after which the voltage quickly falls off a cliff. AGM batteries by comparison start at 12.9v fully charged and drop to 12.2 at their 50% discharge floor.

LiFePO4 batteries are not generally acceptable for use as starting batteries, but for deep-cycle accessory batteries, they excel.

Dual-Battery Considerations:
In a dual-battery setup, when using two batteries of the same type, using a simple charging relay, something like a Blue Sea ML-ACR, to charge both batteries works fine. Using two batteries of different types, however, necessitates the use of a DC|DC charger like the Victron Orion, or something from Renogy or others, because the lithium-ion charging characteristics are very different from that of an AGM or other lead-acid battery. A DC|DC charger allows you to make settings to prevent the alternator from overfeeding the low-resistance lithium battery, and to supply an appropriate charging voltage scheme; in some cases, these are in default sets that need no changes beyond specifying battery type.

Alternator Sensing and Battery Isolation:
A feature of the Victron Orion (versus other DC|DC chargers from Renogy for example) is that the Victron has a built-in algorithm for sensing when the engine is on – no signal wire from the alternator is necessary. The Orion will sense when the voltage has risen enough to indicate a running alternator, and only then will the charger turn on and feed the aux battery; it will also sense when the engine is off, and turn off the charger. This isolates the starting battery from the accessory system while the engine is off.

Charge Considerations:
Generally, a 12v LiFePO4 battery wants to charge at 14.4v (or something above 14v). As for current, LiFePO4 batteries can be charged with as much as 1C (meaning, 100% of the Capacity); so a 100Ah battery can be charged at 100A; doing so significantly reduces battery life over time, however. Ideally, the charge current should be between .3C and .5C for long battery life. So having decided on the Victron DC|DC chargers, the choice was between one model which provides 18A, and two others which provide 30A. In order to stay within the .3-.5C guideline, a 30A charger necessitates a battery with a capacity of 60-100Ah, 100Ah being more conservative. In my case, I didn't have space or need for that much capacity, so I looked at the 18A version, which wants a battery of 36-54Ah. Dakota Lithium has a 54Ah battery with an 11-year warranty, and the form factor was perfect for my use. I decided on the 54Ah Dakota, and the 18A Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC|DC Charger.

Overall Electrical Layout:
So the overall power flow in my system is as follows: the alternator feeds the Starting Battery (an Odyssey PC-1500 AGM), which then feeds the Victron Orion charger in the rear cargo area. The Orion then feeds the accessory battery (the Dakota Lithium 54Ah LiFePO4) which supplies downstream output like the Dometic fridge and Anderson Powerpole outlets.

The wiring from the starting battery to the rear system is 6ga, protected by an inline 50A ANL fuse in front of the firewall. In back, the 6ga terminates at a 75A Anderson Powerpole connector, making connecting it to the cabinet a breeze. The 6ga from the other connector then connects to the charger input, and there is also a 6ga ground to chassis at that point, also with Anderson powerpoles.

Once it passes through the charger, the negative in the accessory system is NOT grounded to chassis; there would be no problem in doing so, but it would require another heavy gauge connection out of the cabinet, whereas right now it is more self-contained (the two 75A powerpoles are the only connection from the vehicle to the cabinet). The accessory battery system is essentially a closed loop, isolated ground system past the charger.

Output from the charger travels via 8ga cable (I’ll call it C+/-) to inside the cabinet. The C+ lands on one end of a 50A ANL fuse protecting the battery, and the C- goes to the System side of a Victron SmartShunt.

Shunt and Battery Monitoring:
The SmartShunt is there to monitor not just the voltage of the accessory battery, but also current through it - and from that derive its charge state, total and remaining capacity, discharge history, trends, etc. It has Bluetooth built in, and their software app makes setting the unit and monitoring it easy. The shunt sits inline on the negative side; only the accessory battery (AB-) is connected to one side; all other inputs and loads (their negatives) are connected to the opposite side. It also has a small (18ga) input from AB+ to power the unit and for voltage monitoring. Sidenote: It will allow you to monitor a second battery voltage (the starting battery for example) but only if it shares a common ground. If I later decide to ground the accessory system to chassis, then it would be easy to add the starting battery to the shunt’s monitoring (but for voltage only, not current – so it’s not a priority; I can easily read the starting battery’s voltage elsewhere, nearer the battery itself).

Outputs:
The output from the charger, after the 50A fuse, goes to the accessory battery, and also to a 30A ceramic fuse on the output side of the cabinet. That 30A fuse protects the wiring in the cabinet, which is all short 10ga runs. The fuse is a panel-mounted ceramic 10x38 fuse, and can be changed from the front side. The O+ from the fuse then lands on a Bus bar at the bottom of the output side of the cabinet. The output negatives have their own bus bar there as well. Each output device is fed from this bus, via 10ga wire: the Anderson Powerpole outlets, the USB ports, the battery voltage display, any future additions. The 30A fuse protects the cabinet wiring, not any potential accessory loads themselves. If smaller devices are plugged into the accessory output, they need to be fused according to their own needs.

The Dometic fridge is plugged into an Anderson Powerpole port on the right side of the cabinet, which is powered from the shunt/ANL fuse directly, protected by a 20A panel-mount 10x38 ceramic fuse.

Info on the cabinet build in the next post.

Last edited:

itllgrowback

Cabinet Build:

There were a number of factors to the shape of the cabinet, in order to fit it into the available space. I basically had to rough it in place and figure out the angles as I went. I used MDF because it's just so dadgum easy to work with and holds up well.

These guys need a bit of explanation:

I needed to secure the back of the cabinet to the side of the cargo space. I haven't mentioned the CO2 tank that sits atop everything, but it does, and it would be pretty top-heavy if it weren't secure. There are two M6 threaded holes in the chassis for factory lash-down points, but they are set far behind the cabinet walls, and it was tricky to find the point they would land on the face of the cabinet - a hard thing to measure. I ended up using a laser at approximately the right height, and lined up each hole then installed the cabinet and made a mark. These ended up being off by about a half inch so with some water putty and a 2nd try, I got them lined up perfectly. To make the spacers, I simply used a hole saw on the drill press and banged out a set of discs from 3/4" lumber and glued them together. The end disk of each stack had a 1/4" pilot hole through which I passed a M6 Socket cap screw from inside. The rest of each stack has a 1/2" pilot hole, and the face of each has a threaded insert to receive a machine screw. I didn't have any metric threaded inserts so I used 5/16" for those. So the hex wrench passes through the threaded insert to tighten each stack to the chassis, then the cabinet sets up against the spacers, and the 5/16" button head cap screws fix the cabinet tightly to the spacers.

And here are some more build pics showing a bit of the process:

IMG-20221209-150350948.jpg

Last edited:

itllgrowback

Victron Device Setup Info:

Settings for the SmartShunt are as follows (changes from default values are marked with an Asterisk):

Battery Capacity: 54Ah* (Specify your battery capacity)
Discharge Floor: 20%* (what value to use when determining "empty")
Charged Voltage: 14.2v (Set this to .2-.3v below the absorption voltage set by your charger)
Tail Current: 4.0% (what value as a percentage of capacity is used to indicate charging has completed)
Charged Detection time: 3 min (how long to wait to determine full charge parameters have been met)
Peukert Exponent: 1.05* (A constant. LiFePO4 uses 1.05)
Charge efficiency factor: 99%* (Constant. LiFePO4 are 99% efficient)
Current threshold: 0.10A (Default)
Time-to-go averaging period: 12m* (Default 3m; Set mine longer to try to smooth out the Dometic compressor on/off cycles)

Battery starts Synchronized: OFF (ON sets the SOC to 100% after any reset)
State-of-charge: (Current SOC - Specify it if you know it, otherwise you can guess or Set to Synchronize).
Synchronize SOC to 100%: Y/N (Manually Synchronize - basically performs a reset and Synchronization)

Note: the above values do not affect how the battery is charged; only what's being reported to the monitor.

For the Orion-Tr Smart DC|DC Charger, the setup numbers are as follows (start with the Smart Lithium LiFePO4 preset):

Absorption voltage: 14.40V*
Float voltage: 13.50V
Bulk Time Limit: 10 Hours
Re-Bulk voltage offset: 0.10V
Fixed Absorption time: 2 Hours

Last edited:

Koenbro

Amazing write up, great build, thank you sharing.

I am adding a Renogy 100AH battery to my 1Gen Tacoma, to run ham and CB radios and future add-ons like a fridge, and am interested in adding a Victron Orion TR DC-DC converter. What is the difference between isolated and non-isolated for such an application? I see you went with an isolated one, is that mandatory? Thank you.

itllgrowback

Amazing write up, great build, thank you sharing.

I am adding a Renogy 100AH battery to my 1Gen Tacoma, to run ham and CB radios and future add-ons like a fridge, and am interested in adding a Victron Orion TR DC-DC converter. What is the difference between isolated and non-isolated for such an application? I see you went with an isolated one, is that mandatory? Thank you.

Thanks! I like to document things well on a project like this - and one reason is that I often refer back to it myself for details when I forget!

As for the Isolated/non isolated, I could have used either in this case. In some applications, like in a fiberglass fishing boat or something, there is no chassis ground to use for the battery circuit, so you need to share the ground and pass it through to the output (non-isolated version). But in a truck or most vehicles, the ground is shared through the chassis anyway, and so you can use the non-isolated version there as well. In most applications, non-isolated works fine.

The Isolated version allows you to connect the ground to chassis on each side of the charger, which would probably be a good idea if the charger is used for a towed vehicle - because it is not a shared ground between truck and trailer.

In my case, the fact that they only offer the 18A version in Isolated made the decision for me, because the 30A version was too big for my system. I simply treated the cabinet as a separate entity with its own circuit, and left it isolated. That actually worked out well because I can remove the entire cabinet after simply unplugging the charger inputs - there's nothing else connected electrically to the chassis.

On yours, with a 100Ah battery, the 30A will be perfect, so you can save some money and use the 30A Non-isolated version.

Koenbro

Very helpful, thank you both @itllgrowback and @Verkstad. I already have a non-isolated Victron Orion and was planning to connect with the shared ground, so it sounds like this will work for my application. Will remove the bed of my Taco and fabricate a mount for the battery on the chassis (I hope it will be easire with the bed off) but will place the DC|DC converter in the cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier