Custom Hard-Sided Wedge Camper for 2nd Gen Tacoma

scallywagle

Hello fellow adventurers and explorers!

I’m putting back up for sale my custom, homemade pop-up truck camper designed for a 2nd gen Tacoma with a 6ft bed. The camper was a labor of love built by me over the course of about 6 months during 2020. My design goals were to create a system that was lightweight, sturdy, highly insulated and aesthetically pleasing. Since its completion I’ve used it on many an adventure and it has proven itself a comfortable and dependable shelter for me and my dogs.

Unlike most other wedge campers I opted to make the expanding wedge walls solid as opposed to canvas/fabric, giving the added benefit of improved sound and weather insulation and an overall greater sense of security. The construction is primarily 2” thick EPS foam and fiberglass composite panels secured to a wooden frame (wedge walls are 1” thick). The outside is coated in 3 layers of marine topside paint. I don’t have an accurate weight for it but my best guess is somewhere around 300-350lbs. It’s secured to the truck using regular truck cap clamps.

Features:
  • 2 baggage hatch doors w/ keyed locks
  • 2 sliding camper windows w/ screens
  • Plexiglass rear hatch window w/ 2 keyed T-handles on hydraulic struts
  • Sliding window that creates pass-through to truck cab
  • Large, hinged plexiglass window on rear wedge wall
  • Custom blackout curtains w/ Velcro
  • 2 - 150 lb gas struts to assist lifting the wedge
  • Sleeping platform (7.5’L x 5’ W) with removable panel
  • Tallest standing height is more than 7’
  • Twin foam mattress included (if you want it)
I feel that it’s important to stress that this build is by no means commercial quality. While I tried my hardest to make it as clean, precise and strong as possible, it’s still my first foray into such a project and as such has its share of quirks and blemishes. I want to be as transparent as possible about that so you don’t have any misconceptions. It’s ready to be used and enjoyed as-is but I think the buyer should have some basic tool/building skills to be able to address any potential future issues and/or improve upon the design/aesthetic.

I’m selling the camper because I have mounting school expenses and less and less time to use it. I feel guilty having it sit in my driveway when I know someone could and should be enjoying it!

Pricing is negotiable and I’m open to offers. I’m not trying to turn a profit on this and would prefer to find a buyer who I know will use and cherish it as I have. Hit me up if you have any questions or concerns and we’ll go from there. Located in Albuquerque/Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Camper Frame.pdf
    617.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0188.jpeg
    IMG_0188.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0275.jpeg
    IMG_0275.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0296.jpeg
    IMG_0296.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0920.jpeg
    IMG_0920.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 347
  • IMG_1156.jpeg
    IMG_1156.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0320.jpeg
    IMG_0320.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0367.jpeg
    IMG_0367.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 307

dilbospaggins

Wow so rad! Are you interested in a trade? I built out this tradesman shell and have lived in it for a couple summers. Electrical and water. 6’ bed Colorado.

Attachments

• 6112D3AE-29D8-46EE-A827-58175D84D64D.jpeg
    6112D3AE-29D8-46EE-A827-58175D84D64D.jpeg
    710.7 KB · Views: 68

scallywagle

Nice rig! Unfortunately I'm more in need of money than I am for camping these days. I wish it was the other way around!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94