Custom frozen lake ice recovery equipment fabrication advice

Gravel Lizard

Just joined the group and this is my first post. I own a 2004 chevy tracker I have outfitted for ice fishing in northern canada. It's running a 4.5 lift with camoplast Tatou tracks. Its strictly used in winter to traverse frozen lakes across 3+ feet of ice so I can get to fishing locations you can normally only get to by snowmobile. I always carry a 10" auger with extensions.

I've recently started working on the winch bumpers so I can self recover because im often out alone in areas where no one would dare come to save me as no other vehicles could get to where I am.

My question for everyone is if they have ever created any sort of custom ice anchors like a T bar to put down a 10" hole in order to pull themselves out. Looking for tips or advice on custom recovery equipment I can fabricate to self recovery on lakes through ice.

Below I will post a photo of a similiar lighter duty device an atv would use to self rescue.

Photos from last winter are with a 2" lift and as it sits in my shop with the new 4.5" for the upcoming winter Thanks!

IMG_20200307_095956.jpg
20190704_214153.jpg
IMG_20190731_190945_542.jpg
IMG_20191216_130813_364.jpg
IMG_20191231_092320_191.jpg

20200801_211447.jpg

Attachments

• ATV_anchor_001s.jpg
    ATV_anchor_001s.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Two different possible approaches.
1. A sophisticated expanding devise that you drop down the hole, use, then collapse mechanically (screw drive or activated by a pull cable from the top?), remove and stow for next time.
2. A cheap collapsing boat anchor and webbing strap. Drop it down the hole (maybe 4"instead of 10"?), do your recovery and then cut the strap and abandon the anchor.
https://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/...hZegge1IJ2qwgAhzuafa0tHN8rQNgtU0aAjb0EALw_wcB
Light, cheap, carry several?, ecologically not as sound.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Ice climbing screws or something similar to an ice axe that grabs the edge of the hole but doesn’t actually drop through? It seems like it could be done relatively easily.

If you go into production, You might even sell as many as 3 if you market it well.

1000arms

A piece of heavy duty tubing, with a recovery-attachment-point in the middle, a light tube-recovery-chain attached in the center of a piece of flat bar welded across one end of the tube, and a 36 inch across "X" (cross) at the end of the tube-recovery-chain preventing the light tube-recovery-chain from falling through the hole.

To use, connect the winch to the recovery-attachment-tube, insert the tube in to the hole augured in to the ice, lower the tube in to the water below the ice, pull the tube against the bottom of the ice, then recover the vehicle.

To recover the recovery-attachment-tube, release tension so that it dangles from the light tube-recovery-chain, and pull up it through the augured hole in the ice.

One might need to attach with a strap or chain to keep a winch-line from cutting into the edge of the hole in the ice.

bas157

coolest Tracker I've ever seen. Why not a beefier version of what you posted that ATVs use? What about using a the Pull-Pal design as a start?

Madoxen

The folding ships ankor would work if you did bot lock it open . The gravity will open the claws then after u are free use rope tied to the other end of ankor to drop it deeper in water then pull it up with the claws now closed

frans

Adventurer
Base the anchor on a sheet rock screw concept?

Attachments

• 0A78065A-613D-47E1-8282-FA070868FCC6.jpeg
    0A78065A-613D-47E1-8282-FA070868FCC6.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94