Custom Curtains for my truck topper, pictures!

Coscienceguy

Observer
Good evening, I've searched a lot of threads for how someone would mount curtains in their truck topper, especially for the folks out there who have their sleeping platforms built in the back. I came up with nothing that was an actual fit! So, I decided I'd sew my own curtains, and mount them for the sides and back of my sleeping platform in my F350. On to the pics!
Beginning of 2014 to Spring Break 114.jpgBeginning of 2014 to Spring Break 113.jpg
Here is a shot of the side curtains. I sewed them with about a 1" loop on the top and bottom so I could slide my stretchy string through. I wanted them detachable so I could clean them, given the fact that they are white camo(my favorite, and wife approved:)). I measured where I wanted my curtains to cover, and made plans for fabric off of that. If you like the bunched up look, make them longer than you need so you have the excess length to give you that bunched up look. The sides have two strings, one for top and one for the bottom so they don't crowd the sleeping area, that means each side window has 4 blocks that I glued. On the top back ones I also mounted the back curtain, and a little hook that comes in handy to hang a jacket, headlamp, or keys on while camping. The bottom back blocks on each side have a hook for the side curtains, and a nice little curtain retention for the back curtain as you can see.
Beginning of 2014 to Spring Break 117.jpg

I used liquid nail to glue to wood pieces to my fiberglass. I used a harder wood, and sanded it down before gluing. Let it cure for at least 24 hours before testing out your curtains. I used the stretchy string from the fabric store, but it sagged way more than I thought it would. So, I pulled it super tight and made a loop to attach it with, the initial plan of using carabiners was no longer needed.

Beginning of 2014 to Spring Break 115.jpg
For the back, I used two simple pieces, and a bigger loop on top because I was using a bungee cord to stretch that. I thought the wood blocks wouldn't be able to handle the pull of a bungee cord, but they did! So maybe for the next curtains I will use bungee cord all around instead of stretchy string.

On the back curtains, I used 4 small magnetic nuts that I sewed into the bottom spread out, for if I ever wanted it to magnetize down. It adds weight to let the curtain hang down anyway. Where the two curtains meet, I sewed in velcro patches to keep the light, and looky-loos from seeing in. My wife likes to sleep in so i can close those and let her sleep.

The curtains all around make the truck more private, and easier to change clothes in for the wife. The white doesn't block out the light too well, obviously, but again, I like the camo pattern. One could certainly sew in a black fabric behind to block the light.

I did make panels for the head of the bed as well, and planned to hang them with magnetic nuts, and strong magnets glued to the topper, but the magnets didn't hold well with the glue, and I could see pillows pulling them down at night. I will eventually mount them on a string of some sort and then the sleeping platform will be totally private.

If anyone would like to see more pictures, I am happy to take more and show you more detail.

Here is a patriotic pic of my truck without the topper on:) He's come a long way.IMG_0331.jpg

Elastic cord is a good idea. I have mine with the basic old curtain hanger but its very flimsy, but it was the only thing I could think of at the time. I will be redoing mine now with your idea. Thanks.

Mr.LouRead

My plan for privacy in my new top is to use Reflectix Double Reflective Insulation R-3.7 and cut to the size of the windows using 1” square stick on Velcro for attachment.

bicyclist

Observer
My plan for privacy in my new top is to use Reflectix Double Reflective Insulation R-3.7 and cut to the size of the windows using 1” square stick on Velcro for attachment.

I just did this the other day. When not in use, the rolled up window covers make a fairly substantial bundle. Gotta figure out where to stash it.

brian90744

American Trekker
RV curtain track

I used RV curtain track, from most RV supply stores, removed the side window frame screws and drilled holes to match window screw holes. wife made the curtains. Done.

Attachments

• curtain  track 2.jpg
    curtain track 2.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 51
  • curtain  track 1.jpg
    curtain track 1.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 46
  • curtain mount 1.jpg
    curtain mount 1.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 44
  • curtain tye-back.jpg
    curtain tye-back.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 43

Coscienceguy

Observer
Thanks for the compliments, and other ideas, hopefully it helps anyone out there looking to do this, I know we have already enjoyed the privacy we have gained from this, especially at the end of the bed with the topper open:)

GCAdventurer

Where did I put my keys??
IMG_2938.gif
Its very easy to make curtains for rectangular windows, but making them for the rear vent windows on my rig with its rounded end and curved body ended up becoming a nightmare. This photo is of my first setup. basically stretchy cord attached to the roof with eye hole screws. Crude but effective. Due to the curvature of the van, they draped into the 'living quarters' quite a bit. Now that the rig is a bit older, and I gave up worrying about putting screw holes into the interior panels, I have mounted them within the 'window frame' with sash rods. Works excellent, gives more interior space and looks more professional.
IMG_0593.JPG
I still used the stretchy cord on the rear hatch because of the span but I have a centre support to prevent sag

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94