Custom camper on 2012 Tacoma (SIP)

paddlequest

Adventurer
I have a well built 2012 Tacoma DLCB that I built to travel throughout Central America a few years back. The truck slowly got modified over time and has been a fantastic travel and living platform for a few years now. It’s current state:
- 3” OME lift
- 33” Toyo MTs
- ARB front bumper w Warn winch
- AllPro rear bumper with double swing outs
- spare tire carrier
- Double jerry can box (custom fabricated in Costa Rica)
- two AGM batteries (electrical system has been the bane of my existence with this truck...new build will easier access, cleaner and simpler
- lights and fans in the cap
- 20 gallon fresh water w 12v SureFlo pump (2 external shower connections
- Baja designs basket rack over the cab
- custom fabricated exoskeleton basket rack over the cap. (Custom fabricated in Nicaragua)
- Rigid small LED lights on the front bumper
- Safari Snorkel
- ARB 50 qt fridge in the back seat space (blanked) on passenger side

Goals for new build
1) Indoor sitting/ working space
2) Indoor cooking space

Plans for new build
1) remove all existing racks and cap.
2) remove the bed of the truck
3) Build a flat deck with storage boxes forming the wheel wells (all aluminum)
4) Build a pop top custom aluminum camper to mate with the flat deck.
5) build an extended basket rack over the cab, windscreen and part of the hood. (All aluminum but rhino lined)

All of this will happen over the winter months, while I am out of the country working. I will update this build thread as able. I am super lucky to have found a master welder/ aluminum boat builder here on Vancouver Island that is keen to take on the project. He will take photos and video as the project progresses.

Feel free to offer insights or criticisms or suggestions. I have not seen a build like this before so information is scant.

Cheers and happy trials
Dave

Attachments

• 22AB7586-4D19-4134-AACA-A25FB5169150.jpeg
    22AB7586-4D19-4134-AACA-A25FB5169150.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 86
  • 024EFA5F-315A-449C-A45B-C903C1C4F1B8.jpeg
    024EFA5F-315A-449C-A45B-C903C1C4F1B8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 86

paddlequest

Adventurer
Well things never happen as fast as we might like. But, the build process is underway. The old capper top, water and electrical systems were removed and it has been replaced by a custom flatbed. The truck is looking pretty good I think.

IMG_flatbed2.jpeg

Flatbed.jpg.jpeg

Phase 2 of the build is underway. It is getting an 8ft x 4.5ft x 6” deep roofbasket with kayak cross bars mounted over the roof and half of the hood. The portion over the hood will be stabilized by vertical supports that connect to plates on the quarter panels. The hood is getting rigidizing checker plate steps to protect the hood and enable standing on it to load kayaks and gear. The rack should be finished in a week.

Phase 3 is a custom pop top camper that will mount on the flatbed. Unfortunately, funds dictate that phase 3 will have to wait until funding options arise or I figure out a method of making money during these crazy days!

Updates to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_flatbed2.jpeg
    IMG_flatbed2.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

paddlequest

Adventurer
Phase 2 of the build is underway! My builder buddy (Brad) is building a large roof rack/ basket. It’s 8ft long x 4.5 ft wide x 6 inch deep. It will have embedded LED spot lights in the wind deflector on the front and have welded in cross bars for kayak carrying, and foldable yak stackers built into the cross bars. The rack is long enough that it will extend out over the hood of the truck a fair bit so it will get vertical supports that connect to the quarter panels. The hood will also get rigidized and protected to allow standing on it and loading kayaks and gear. It’s all coming together! installation of the rack will happen this weekend. I am super stoked!
60870387046__DD0C00D6-C184-4E70-90B4-B8980B484E96.jpeg

60870407167__2CFE5176-654A-4113-AFE8-B9673F62AF62.jpeg

Any feedback or ideas out there are most welcome!
Thanks
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles