Custom camper, insurance coverage?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
For those that have had a custom camper built or have built their own, how about insurance coverage?

If you have coverage, how are you doing it, and how much does it cost?

Im assuming to have it insured it will have to be registered.
And in order to register, it needs to have a title.
Obtaining a "custom-built" title is pretty easy in Idaho.

Im looking at options right now for my custom pickup camper, and trying to determine if it is even worth the hassle and expense.

rrliljedahl

Observer
I just went thru this earlier this week.

My state is NC.

I have a custom truck camper mounted on my flatbed truck. Camper is technically detachable but I did put a passthru between truck and camper.

I called USAA and described that I had "Detachable Truck Camper" now on my already insured truck.

Agent asked what the camper was worth and then says "not a problem". He put it on my truck insurance policy for full replacement and liability at "no additional charge". He asked for no receipts but suggest I keep a copy for my records in the event of a collision.

He also told me that my homeowners would cover all of my property in the camper for damage or theft at no charge.

If I had titled it in NC as an "RV", there would have been an extra charge.

For those that have had a custom camper built or have built their own, how about insurance coverage?

If you have coverage, how are you doing it, and how much does it cost?

Im assuming to have it insured it will have to be registered.
And in order to register, it needs to have a title.
Obtaining a "custom-built" title is pretty easy in Idaho.

Im looking at options right now for my custom pickup camper, and trying to determine if it is even worth the hassle and expense.
Do you have to register your camper in Idaho? Separate from the truck? I'm moving out there this spring from NC. Tentatively to middle of the Nez Perce, possibly elsewhere. Dan

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
To be legit, yes.

As of just a few years ago a new law was adopted that requires it.

There are some specifics that I dont recall off hand right now, but you may not need to depending upon your situation.

IIRC there are a few ways that allow "grandfathering"

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Feel free to post the info in this thread.

I'm going a completely different route that most will take, so we might as well put this thread to good use :sombrero:

evilram

I'll share. I have a BMY M923a2 that I"ve had a few different insurance providers on. When it was stock the insurance was available through various programs, but with the conversion I ran into more problems. Currently, I'm with Statefarm and pay roughly $60 a month for decent coverage. Getting it set up was easier because a member on another forum did his conversion on his Deuce a few years ago and we live in the same county. So, I just went with his provider so they were already aware of the ins and outs of this sort of thing.

Care to share with the class your "special route"? :coffeedrink:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Sure.

Im on track to start building campers commercially.

To do it, Ill have a manufactures license and dealer license.

Each unit to have a vin so registration is a breeze, and insuring should be a snap :victory:

evilram

Sure.

Im on track to start building campers commercially.

To do it, Ill have a manufactures license and dealer license.

Each unit to have a vin so registration is a breeze, and insuring should be a snap :victory:

Nice... "Should be a snap" is the equivalent of "hold my beer, watch this!". Could be interesting.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yes it could.

Once all the paperwork is sorted and licenses obtained, it should be no different than any other RV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior