custom camper examples

rruff

Explorer
That all said...it seems nobody has used a tonneau cover as OEM style roof. Maybe for good reason? (A tad heavy at #150.) I actually bought one this past week off a 2012 Ford 250 (75"Wx101"L) as a starting point for a canopy pop-up camper. Still thinking many things through for the build but thinking I will base it of this.

Again, a bit heavy but I think there are many advantages & is designed & strong enough to add a Yakima/Thule racks as well as solar etc. It also has existing hardware.

Does it have a lift mechanism? You'd probably want to add insulation... and could build a lighter one, but I've been appreciating the value of off the shelf stuff... ;)

Have you thought about how you are going to build the rest?

TOU47

Great feedback, thx. I agree 100% about weight up high & being as light as possible. Admittedly, before I bought the tonneau cover I had actually thought it was lighter. While it is probably not as strong as carbon fiber it is already formed, shaped, painted, gel coated & good to go now. It also has built in water flow with perfect over hang edges.

And... while I want it to be solid & quality, this is a budget build & this saved me a ton of time & cost me a whopping $200 WITH struts, seals folding & lock/locking mechanisms. (New they are $1,950 with tax & the mechanism works for a wedge build.) Seriously, the only down side seems that it is a tad heavier than I'd hoped...and I wouldn't have minded it another 1-2' in length but nearly 8.5' is pretty good & over 6 wide is great.

As to the rest of the build, I have a Bed-Rug with my current color matched Leer shell. (I will likely sell this shell. I am still debating on many things though & in planning stages. I just thought I'd plan it around this roof piece & go from there.

Regarding the sides, I'm considering composite sides with a basic aluminum frame or 80/20 with the same or foam with aluminum edging (foamie?). I also have considered aluminum frame, AL checkerplate sides or AL siding with foam insulation & FRP inner sides. I want it less than <550# for the entire shell itself so have to really watch it if this is my roof choice.

As far as the inner build I want it basic & modular with a slide out camp kitchen on one side. I am going to splurge on Maxx air fan, solar, a 2nd battery (a LiFePO) since the truck already has a OEM place for it in the engine bay. I already have 2 induction single cook tops & prefer to be all electric since I'm going solar but am still debating on heat options. I prefer to avoid propane entirely unless I go with a portable inline hot water heater which I doubt. I would love ambulance doors but may stay with a large lift maintaining the tailgate for simplicity. (Watching for one of those commercial contractor shells to cannibalize the doors.

I love the rig the Ambition Strikes YouTube channel couple made...but their goals, budget & donor truck were 100% different from mine but really liked many of their techniques. I have many tools but this is a DIY project & I don't weld (I can braze aluminum the way DualEx did) nor do I have a CNC machine. More than you probably wanted & should post here if I don't want to fully derail this thread...I should probably start a new one. ?

trackhead

Adventurer
(y)

51498623755_133aaeee1b_h.jpg

One of my favorite home builds. Wood frame, correct? What else is in frame construction? Probably see you around Idaho sometime.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yes, wood framed, rigid foam, 6mm marine ply ext, glasses/epoxy-coated, and painted.

Frame is a bit of a hybrid, steel (primarily for camper jack mounting) and 1x2 vertical grain Fir

30275792398_772106e37c_c.jpg

Mules

Finished the push up bed platform and carpeted inside. Next up paint and a hundred little things.IMG_6496.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier