Custom Built Micro Camper on '98 Tacoma

Rohde.Soda

Hello All,

Thought you guys might take an interest in my little project camper. I started this thing when the Rona hit and have been tripping around in it and continuing to work on it since. I built a pop-up before this, but after a winter ski trip I decided I needed something solid and insulated. I wanted to keep it small and light with JUST enough space for the necessities (which is why I didnt build it over the cab). Current projects include exterior storage, installing and wiring electrical, planning suspension. The main structure is laminated plywood frames, plywood with fiberglass and Raptor Liner, cedar shiplap on the sides (w/ shou sugi ban).

The entire build (almost) up to this point is documented on YouTube if youd like to check that out, likes, subscribes and notification bells much appreciated:

Also, plenty more pics on my Instagram:
@Rohde.Soda

Ill try to keep an eye on this thread if anybody has any Qs, Cs or criticisms. I love these forums, but tend to be a lurker that comes and goes :p

DSC03432.jpg

Rohde.Soda

Not familiar with PMF, but I would definitely like to build something similar using foam/FRP to replace the heavy plywood. The idea with this one was simple/cheap. Im pretty sure this thing weighs less than 300 lbs, so any lighter would be pretty incredible for the amount of space. I actually just made aluminum cross bars and threw them on today. Next is a custom basket rack for over the truck cab.

rruff

Explorer
Not familiar with PMF, but I would definitely like to build something similar using foam/FRP to replace the heavy plywood.

PMF is a composite with canvas and glue. It's weak stuff. Foam and fiberglass is much better.

Plywood is actually fine too, except for the needing to keep everything well sealed to avoid rot. One thing I discovered is that fiberglass has good strength/weight but is poor in stiffness/weight (worse than wood!). You need a pretty thick layer of whatever your "skin" is to properly protect the foam, and if you use plywood you can have a lighter weight (but thicker) skin to achieve the same result. First camper I made was 3/4" XPS 25psi foam with 2.7mm luan skins and a layer of handlaid fiberglass on the outside. Still think that's pretty optimal for weight with good durability. Any time you can get your basic wall structure <1 lb/ft^2 that's light! The one I'm working on now is PVC foam and handlaid FG, and it's ~1.5 lb/ft^2 before paint.

I saw your build awhile ago when I was randomly searching, and it's a beauty! Great work! (y)

Rohde.Soda

PMF is a composite with canvas and glue. It's weak stuff. Foam and fiberglass is much better.

Plywood is actually fine too, except for the needing to keep everything well sealed to avoid rot. One thing I discovered is that fiberglass has good strength/weight but is poor in stiffness/weight (worse than wood!). You need a pretty thick layer of whatever your "skin" is to properly protect the foam, and if you use plywood you can have a lighter weight (but thicker) skin to achieve the same result. First camper I made was 3/4" XPS 25psi foam with 2.7mm luan skins and a layer of handlaid fiberglass on the outside. Still think that's pretty optimal for weight with good durability. Any time you can get your basic wall structure <1 lb/ft^2 that's light! The one I'm working on now is PVC foam and handlaid FG, and it's ~1.5 lb/ft^2 before paint.

I saw your build awhile ago when I was randomly searching, and it's a beauty! Great work! (y)

I come from the sailing world so keeping things sealed on a land yacht is a welcome challenge.

The key to stiffness with a foam/glass construction is in sandwiching the foam with a laminate on both sides. That will give you a superior strength/stiffness to weight ratio. Also racks up the bill a number of notches. Even on my build, the epoxy resin was easily the most expensive component.

I would love to build a fully composite camper at some point.

john61ct

Adventurer
PMF aka Foamie technique, is plenty strong if done right. The key attribute is it's cheap and well insulated from the outset.

But every build is a new personal experiment, no consensus on just one methodology or BoM.

TNTTT.com is where the "experts" hang out.

rruff

Explorer
The key to stiffness with a foam/glass construction is in sandwiching the foam with a laminate on both sides.

Yes, that's how I did it and how I'm doing it. The panel will still be less stiff compared to other skin materials. Carbon for instance is only a little stronger and ~3x stiffer. Low stiffness can be a benefit if you need flex... just realized your truck has a pretty flexy frame... curious how the camper behaves at maximum twist?

I tried several different brands of less expensive epoxy and settled on Ebond. It's <$30/gal but shipping for me is ~$15.

PMF aka Foamie technique, is plenty strong if done right. The key attribute is it's cheap and well insulated from the outset.

I thought it was a great idea until I built some samples. The one with FG skins that weighed less than the PMF panel shown below sagged <.25" overnight. The PMF seemed ok at first, but then...

PMF_block_sag.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
No one claims they have the "same kind" of strength as FG.

No foamie would ever be put to work bearing that directional nor that heavy a load.

In actual use in real life, plenty strong enough.

Rohde.Soda

Yes, that's how I did it and how I'm doing it. The panel will still be less stiff compared to other skin materials. Carbon for instance is only a little stronger and ~3x stiffer. Low stiffness can be a benefit if you need flex... just realized your truck has a pretty flexy frame... curious how the camper behaves at maximum twist?

I would argue that the issue in that experiment is as much the core as it is the skin. The purple foam has pretty poor shear strength and characteristics, that makes for a lot of movement in between the skins, which compromises the integrity of the sandwich.

Im sure my camper has some ability to twist with the bed, so far it has been fine and hasnt broken the seal at the bed rails (which is just exterior caulking). Cant say that Ive gotten TOO aggressive off road though

rruff

Explorer
In actual use in real life, plenty strong enough.

Just letting people know what to expect. If you are making a small camper and are ok with a weak shell, then it can work. You'll need to reinforce the roof though, if you don't want it to sag under it's own weight.

PMF-foamie construction is only slightly cheaper than hand laid fiberglass and foam, assuming you use the same foam and shop for low prices on cloth and epoxy. The main advantage with PMF-Foamie is that it's quicker and easier to work with.

I would argue that the issue in that experiment is as much the core as it is the skin. The purple foam has pretty poor shear strength and characteristics, that makes for a lot of movement in between the skins, which compromises the integrity of the sandwich.

The core is the 25psi XPS typically used in foamies, and it was fine with FG skins. The issue was a crazy amount of creep in the PMF skins. I flipped that piece over to make an arch and set the block on it again, and it slowly straightened out in less than a day.

I'm gonna post a couple of your videos here, because your build and videos are top notch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94