custom a/ts, redneck style

MontySquareo

about a year ago i found some very lightly used cooper discoverer HTPs for a really good price, but I wanted a/ts. my dad has a tire knife, and has regrooved heavy truck tires before. together we came up with the idea of turning the coopers into a proper a/t, and we figured it would be safe as long as we didn't cut deeper than the original tread. these tires have been great for a year, no hum or other funny business.

original tread pattern, not exactly the same as the HTPs I got, but really similar.
images.jpeg
modified tread pattern, only the one tire has the triangle treads. the other tires i just cut the original grooves longer.
IMG_20220122_180017859~2.jpg

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Very cool! I recently scored a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATR, lightly used and abused, for basically free. They're in good shape but I really don't like the tread. I was considering giving them similar treatment so they can be a little more aggressive... Your experience pushes me closer to doing just that. Thanks for sharing!

20230105_205201 by Tim, on Flickr

1stDeuce

Explorer
I bought a knife as a way to extend the usable mileage from my tires, and to improve the snow performance of non-3-peak rated tires. I deepen the grooves that are shallow when the tire hits about 50%. Seems to get me one more winter of good traction even though the tread depth is starting to get lower than I like. I'm glad you are happy with your mods!! Extending the outer grooves should do wonders to prevent hydroplaning too...

MontySquareo

it never rains in Arizona, you could run drag slicks 95% of the time lol. i have very little experience with hydroplaning. im considering getting some more cheap tires and customizing them because you can get some tires for cheap but never the tires you want

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier