Custom 80/20 Roof Rack Build Thread! ...Engineers Gone Wild!

Chunks

What follows is my half hearted, and quarter cared-for, attempt to document the design, procurement, build, and testing of an 80/20 (T-Slot style) based roof rack. As always, all feedback, insights, scathing criticisms, and ad hominem posts are not just welcomed but encouraged.

Incompetent List of Constants (or otherwise called... ******** I can't ignore despite my desperate desire to do so)
  • Tent
    • James Baround Space XXL (Ext Dim 89.5" x 64.5")
  • Tent Mounting
    • Two (2) front runner load bars (~50 something inches)
  • Load Bar Mounting
    • RSi SmartCap Evo
  • Vehicle
    • 2019 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 4x4 w/ 5.5" bed, 3.5L EB. (Lift, tires, and wheels coming soon to a theater near you)
  • Me, Myself, and I
    • 6',6" and 280 lbs of anxious, paranoid, risk adverse, and grouchy engineer (forever junior junior junior junior junior junior junior junior aerospace engineer level -1)
  • My better half
    • 6', 2" and... nevermind that (height/weight proportionate... ya know, when you read that on a dating sight you're in for something... special)
Incomplete List of Requirement / Goals (or otherwise called... ******** I immediately ignore)
  • Weight
    • Less that 50lbs
  • Cost
    • Less than $500 (Baseline build)
  • Structural
    • Improved structural support of tent, particularly around perimeter
    • Relocate ladder attachment points from tent to rack frame (While I know its almost certainly a non-issue I don't like how the ladder loads the tent shell's side wall. Remember, I am paranoid)
  • Functional
    • Provide mounting locations for an awning
    • Provide mounting locations for easy-to-access waterproof soft-sided storage for shoes and what-not while in the tent... or whatever.
    • Baseline frame for integration of lightweight retractable shelve(s) (Phase #2). Main idea here is... be able to make coffee without getting out of bed or using backpacking stove in tent.

I will post a prelim BOM later this week. The truck as it currently exists is showN below...

1627336704883.png

That's all, go away now!

Last edited:

emulous74

I am by no means an engineer, but take a look at Schutt's X-venture 80/20 rack they put on their trailers as it's very simple and very effective at carrying heavy loads, you won't need to overengineer your rack.

Chunks

I am by no means an engineer, but take a look at Schutt's X-venture 80/20 rack they put on their trailers as it's very simple and very effective at carrying heavy loads, you won't need to overengineer your rack.

That looks beautiful! Nice set-up. I am going to give the RTT thing a year then possibly pivot to a trailer setup. Its just a money pit.

80/20 is great stuff though a little know-how is handy since some nuance is needed to getting the most out of it. Couple of points...
  • Its FAR stronger than any brand name load bard you can buy (like Front Runner, Yakima, etc..) with negligible weight penalty. 1010 or 20 series are plenty sufficient. I am planning to use 1010.
  • Cheaper than a all-up load platform
  • Versatile and durable
Some thoughts on robustness...
  • Properly torque all fasteners
  • Use extrusions with the 2 deg locking feature.
  • Only use four (4) channel extrusions where necessary. The one (1), two (2), and three (3) channel extrusions weight less per inch.
  • Use all SS fasteners
  • Use some kind of locking washer or insert where applicable
  • Pin critical joints
  • Use low strength thread locker on critical joints
  • Think about water drainage, add drain holes as needed

A recent side project of mine... The 80/20 (series 1515) cart proof tested to support well in excess of 4000 lbs.

1627395524163.png

Mashurst

Adventurer
Overlanding and its gear quickly become a money pit, in my humble misguided opinion. Yet, we still offer up our meager shekels to the gods of imagined adventure and generalized coolness. What fools we are.

This is poetry!

ricoisme26

I went straight to the RTT trailer method, I prefer to not break camp for local exploration when spending more than one night in a location. But that's not overlanding so what do I know?

jocww

I like how that bed rack raises! But I dont like how its straight up and down Id want it to lean in to follow the contours of the truck. I wonder if this would cause binding though?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles