Custom 4x4 Toyota Sunrader Build

Daniel Hitsman

Here is our Sunrader Build. First picture is what we started with, second is close to complete!

Build:
  • Custom Dana 60 W/5:38s and ARB AIRLOCKER
  • 1984 Toyota Solid Front Axle W/5:29
  • 22RE with 5 speed manual
  • ARB front bumper
  • 9000LBS Warn Winch
  • 2x Hella 50w Driving Lights
  • Bushwacker Fender flares
  • Toyo MT 285/75R16 on 8 Lug Eagle Alloys (8x6.5)
  • Firestone Airbags (rear).
  • Onboard Air System (Viair)
  • Custom Toolbox mount on rear
  • Upgraded Mirrors + mounting two (2) to the hood for better Visibility
Comments, suggestions, feedback appreciated :) 524628524629

shade

Looks comfortable.

Weight?

Fuel economy?

How does it travel on mountain roads?

Interior appointments?

Where have you taken it, and where do you plan to go?

What projects are left?

Any surprises during the refit?

C p weinberger

I love the conversion, I have been contemplating a similar build myself but was hesitating due to negative feedback from Two completed 4x4 sunrader conversions where both builders were disappointed with SRW axle and felt the vehicle was unstable in even mild off road situations.
Have you taken the vehicle off the road, how does it feel stability wise when driving?
Thank you
Good luck

rruff

Explorer
A 2UZ swap is the only way that thing could be any more awesome.

How about Cummins 2.8L?

I have fond memories of living and exploring all over in a '84 Toyota with 22RE with 5spd. But man, that little motor will really need to work hard in this rig!

Daniel Hitsman

I love the conversion, I have been contemplating a similar build myself but was hesitating due to negative feedback from Two completed 4x4 sunrader conversions where both builders were disappointed with SRW axle and felt the vehicle was unstable in even mild off road situations.
Have you taken the vehicle off the road, how does it feel stability wise when driving?
Thank you
Good luck

Very stable off road, due to the fact that my SRW axle is a Dana 60 that goes almost completely out to the edge of the fender well in the rear. Also has a rear sway bar and good shocks.
Stable when driving, but building it right is definitely a solutions to the unstable nature of a stock Sunrader.

Daniel Hitsman

How about Cummins 2.8L?

I have fond memories of living and exploring all over in a '84 Toyota with 22RE with 5spd. But man, that little motor will really need to work hard in this rig!

At this point in time doing an engine swap is not really in the budget. The 22re is geared with 5:29s, which allows it to cruise at 65. Not a whole lot of get up and go, but thats not why you drive a rig like this anyway, you drive it to get out where other RVs can`t go and explore!

shade

Very stable off road, due to the fact that my SRW axle is a Dana 60 that goes almost completely out to the edge of the fender well in the rear. Also has a rear sway bar and good shocks.
Stable when driving, but building it right is definitely a solutions to the unstable nature of a stock Sunrader.
Any before & after photos of the rear end? That has to be an impressive difference.

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
Interesting build- I like it. Was just down in Bend Oregon and saw a very similar rig at a house with what looked like maybe 2 right hand drive LandCruisers next to it in the driveway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles