Current draw on Cobra CPI- 1575

XJINTX

Explorer
Probably a dumb question but?? I am adding this inverter to my homemade expo trailer. I have dual battery setup with a Minn-Kota battery charger setup. In reading about the inverter I see it has, as an option, a remote on/off switch that can be mounted outside away from the inverter location. I will buy if the consensus is turn off and on as needed.
My question is... does the inverter draw current even when no AC is being used? I do go out extended and want as long as I can get with batteries. I have solar charger too but every little bit helps. Should I worry about turning inverter off when not in use?

Maninga

Adventurer
From their product manual.

When the button is in the off position, the inverter draws no current from the battery. When it’s in the on position, but no power is being supplied to a load, the inverter draws less than 600 milliamperes from the battery. This is low current draw. It would take more than a week to discharge a 100 ampere-hour battery at this rate depending on the age of the battery

Sounds like about 14ah/day used to keep it on standby. I think it'd be worth turning it off if you're concerned about battery usage.

XJINTX

Explorer
Thanks, I just ordered the remote on/off switch. My old inverter is in a compartment that is locked so a remote on and off for this new one works good for me. Now I know why I had issues with my batteries while my trailer sat between trips :(

highdesertranger

Adventurer
whoa there at 14a/hr/day x 7 days = 98 a/hr. since that 100a/hr battery should only be taken down 50% you only have 3.5 days on that battery not counting other loads. all remote controlled devices have parasitic loads. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles