Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

Scotty D

I pride myself on being a lifelong skeptic
For years I even had a subscription to Skeptic Magazine.
But if that were my van I would contact the Catholic Church and tell them of your unholy situation.
That van does not need a mechanic , it needs an exorcist.

thezentree

pretend redneck
Needs a 5 gallon can blessing.

I feel really for you brother. Your upbeat reports and attitude are legendary.

Go get your head around something else for a few days.

For real. I lose sleep over what are minor annoyances compared to stuff like this.

Hope your luck with this thing changes soon!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Haha, I need a running engine to get to Bodega Bay to get the blessings! Oh well. I always look at the positives. Like maybe if it was running, it would have gotten in an accident and got wrecked, so I guess this is much better? I mean, I did spend two nights this weekend using the hot tub, so it could always be worse.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Things were going well, full of challenges and tribunals. And then it all went horribly wrong again...

View attachment 747174
Took a bunch of hands to get the hydraulic pump pack on as we never disconnect the lines, but instead remove the pump while it's in the vehicle.

View attachment 747175
More tragedy stuck. Moving things around, dropped the turbocharger on the ground right before I installed it. the leverage from the oil pipe return seemed to trash center bearing housing. That was an expensive hit. It was pretty much a new unit, not sure what to do about that. Rigged up an old turbocharger I had laying around instead and got it running! Started right up once fuel lines were bled. Drove it around, everything seemed well. Then boom! Smoke was everywhere and the dipstick shot out of the engine. It's been a terrible last few weeks. I have no idea what to do with this piece of junk. I guess I need to try engine #5? Still living in the van, but it's still stranded.
Any idea what happened? Used turbo go? Something more sinister?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Ok, it's terrible that the engine is still broken. I got tired of sleeping with the van not being level. So at least this little side project will help me sleep better through the holidays.

PXL_20220401_012328171 copy.jpg
Cut these old scrap boards up and used the router on all the edges. Found some unused space under the couch/bed to store these new leveling boards.

PXL_20220622_125005008 copy.jpg
Painted them a nice yellow so I'll be able to dig them out of the mud after I've driven off of them. With these under the tires, I can also cook on the counter without stuff rolling off like I'm on a boat at sea!

iggi

Ian
Bummer man, I was hoping all was well in the land of the cursed cummins. Maybe Santa will bring you a new motor for Christmas?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Haha, oh it's on the list! But I am working on it. I have lots of different engines now so I can pick and choose my parts! Have some stuff sitting at the machine shop as we speak.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
It’s been a minute since we heard from you. Glad to see your sense or perseverance is still running strong, even if your rig isn’t.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I anticipation of this rig getting back on the road again, I decided to get her ready to tow stuff, like mostly legally. If I do all this work and expect her to run, she'll just run right?

PXL_20220926_181355574 copy.jpg
Got the old hydraulic punch and made a big hole above the rear bumper. Drilled and tapped some smaller holes for the screws.

PXL_20220926_201828009 copy.jpg
Like a factory fit!

PXL_20220926_192947833 copy.jpg
My girlfriend got me this PowerProbe a while back. You can apply 12v power while also testing other things. It was perfect for finding out what wires did what down under. Super easy to to wire in an trailer electrical harness. Did I tell you she's awesome?

PXL_20220926_213334881 copy.jpg
All done with that side quest! Now if only we had an engine that actually stayed working...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online