Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

ExpoMike

Agree. If you have having this much issues with head gaskets leaks, my guess is the head and/or block is warped. Another idea, which I have heard happening (not specific to the Cummins) is if the head bolts are stretched, they will never hold torque. I am not sure on the Cummins but I know many GM engines use torque to yield bolts that are one time only. If you pull them, you replace them. If verifying the head and block are flat, I might try a new set of head bolts.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Yes yes, was originally going to pull the head and check the deck, but now we have cracked pistons?!? The bolts on these Cummins are reusable, as long they aren't stretched and still in spec. But at this point, I wouldn't mind new everything. I want reliability. I can't trust anything anymore. We did break down at a good time and place, so thankful for that. It's cheaper to rebuild the engine again then fill the tank with fuel!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Well, life moves on. Unfortunate that we are stationary, but will make the best of it. Good time to fix other things while we decide what to do about engine.

PXL_20220424_002141111 copy.jpg
Even though we can't drive anywhere, the solar panels are still working and we're still cooking!

PXL_20220504_014518520 copy.jpg
Had to replace the big water pump too. It decided to blow up too. We were chilling in the hot tub and bam, no more water flow. No more hot tub? What are we, peasants? While we didn't have a spare pump, I swapped in the water pump from under the sink to get us by temporarily. Yes, we sacrificed the indoor plumbing for the hot tub. I really have the worst luck with things breaking...

macexpress

Observer
I'm sure you've done your research, but you can pick up a used 5.9 pretty reasonable. Swap over your new stuff from this engine and run it. It's pretty hard to get 2 bad 5.9s in a row

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
These pistons are who knows how old. But that piston analysis is very interesting. Looks like maybe I have an injector or timing issue? But again, I'm not an expert engine builder. Either I need to do lots of reading, or find an expert to do this over right. Maybe I should just start with a different engine and use this broken one as a boat anchor?

Used 5.9's aren't all that expensive, yes. But as ExpoMike stated, this is a 3.9. Trust me, I would love to throw a 5.9 in this rig. But I looked into when the first engine blew, and I got my tape measure out and looked at it again last week. It would take major modification to make it fit. The chassis crossmember is in the way, the steering is in the way, the body crossmember is in the way, the floor will need to be cut out, a new custom doghouse would need to be made, driveshaft shortened, exhaust modified, and the worst part, the custom radiator and intercooler setup I did will all need to be moved and redone. Nope, I got a life to live. The 3.9 is just enough power for me. Right now I'm just working and saving money to fix this thing, again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke