Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Back to tackling things that grind my gears.

PXL_20220324_171443172 copy.jpg
The concept of these party lights is great. The end result, eh, not so much. When you're standing, they glare into your eyes and are very spotty.

PXL_20220324_175307421 copy.jpg
Came up with the idea to add diffuser lens to them.

PXL_20220324_212412840 copy.jpg
The diffuser lenses really help out. Make it seem all 1980's like! These lights are almost totally pointless, but not useless. The switch for them is on the inside of the rear doors. So when entering through the back, these are the only lights to turn on until you find your way to another light. Plus they really set the mood!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
So I've been crashing in a suburban neighborhood recently, and I don't think the neighbors appreciate people showering out in the street late at night. I'm waiting for the police to show up. Boy do I miss staying on BLM land!

PXL_20220412_181506220 copy.jpg
Been tossing this idea around for a long time. But I finally have good plan. Making these aluminum brackets to hold up a shower curtain rod thingy. I couldn't find aluminum u-bolts, so I heated and bent some aluminum round stock and welded them into these grooves.

PXL_20220412_203703242 copy.jpg
This shower curtain rod that I had used on my last rig fits nicely. Just drilled some holes and bolted the brackets right up.

PXL_20220412_203859573 copy.jpg
Perfect! No more free shows! We have future ideas that also incorporate these shower curtain rod mounts...

iggi

Ian
That's great! I haven't gotten around to adding my LED strip lights yet but I assumed the glare was going to be a problem.

Back to tackling things that grind my gears.

View attachment 716089
The concept of these party lights is great. The end result, eh, not so much. When you're standing, they glare into your eyes and are very spotty.

View attachment 716090
Came up with the idea to add diffuser lens to them.

View attachment 716091
The diffuser lenses really help out. Make it seem all 1980's like! These lights are almost totally pointless, but not useless. The switch for them is on the inside of the rear doors. So when entering through the back, these are the only lights to turn on until you find your way to another light. Plus they really set the mood!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Finished up all the innappropriate barriers. Mounts that were made for the shower curtain double for the hot tub curtain. Yes, we have multiple curtains now.

PXL_20220414_192934100 copy.jpg
Built a frame out of some metal pipe. Welded studs that go into holes with two corner supports so the whole thing doesn't topple over.

PXL_20220415_135944474 copy.jpg
Another addition is some ground insulation. It's not much, but it does feel good under your butt.

PXL_20220418_130839862 copy.jpg
And on top of the water I cut some bubble insulation made to keep the heat in pools. This will stop heat loss through evaporation. The white tarp we're using as a privacy wall is 6' high and 30' around. Just held up with some ball bungees.

PXL_20220423_131623845 copy.jpg
And back on the road and the whole setup works great! Welded feet with holes for tent stakes to the bottom of the three vertical poles to keep them stable in the wind. What happens in the hot tub, stays in the hot tub...

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Well, things were going great. But dang it, why can't we keep coolant inside this engine?!?

PXL_20220508_125858819 copy.jpg
Driving down the road, everything is going splendid. Then that smell. And then that white smoke. And then that coolant gauge! Pulled over immediately and found coolant leaking out between the block and the cylinder head. Not going to push this one. Found someone who was nice enough to lend a trailer and got the rig somewhere safe to work on.

PXL_20220604_141523216 copy.jpg
Good thing is that there is no coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant. But really, why would the head gasket fail like this? Either I put the wrong head gasket in or installed it incorrectly. But these are only assumptions. Other than coolant leaking out, it runs great with no power loss. Ugh, will tear this apart and get to the bottom of it. Open to suggestions. At least we still have electricity and the hot tub works great!

Scotty D

Any idea how many miles you have put on this rig so far?
I cant wrap my head around how many problems you have had with this rig.
Does this have like half a million miles on it?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Almost 450k I think. Miles don't mean anything though. It's this stupid Cummins engine that is cursed. No matter what, she finds ways to spit coolant out.

Wyuna

Observer
This is what happens when u use a head gasket that’s not formed from J B Weld :(

hopefully you find an answer to the issue, and it’s a easy fix.

how are u still sane after everything this girl has thrown at you……

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Oh, I have new things to fix with JB Weld, don't worry about that! No easy answer. This engine is a lemon. How am I still sane? Not sure, but patience is running thin, even though I love her so. Is this what being married is like?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Need a few more packages of JB Weld for this one!

PXL_20220606_222424372 copy.jpg
The head gasket is what it is. Not sure why it blew, but it definitely leaked coolant outside of the engine. Won't know why until I get cylinder head to a shop. But upon further inspection...

PXL_20220606_222847637~2 copy.jpg
C'mon, like what is that?!? Why? Pistons aren't supposed to be vented! JB Weld is going to be working extra hard to fix this one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles