Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

macexpress

Observer
Oh sorry, I completely overlooked that yours is the 4bt. I have a 05 mt45 that has a 5.9, so I just get it stuck in my head that everything that looks similar must have the same motor

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
It's all good. The MT45 is a bigger chassis. Can easily fit a 6bt in that rig. Lucky you! But yes, same engine, just with 2 less cylinders.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
The gods have spoken!

PXL_20220617_013300032 copy.jpg
This sweet deal popped up and I couldn't let it slide. Cummins 4bt out of a Ford step van. A little cleaning, flip the oil pan around, new seals, fluids, and we're going to drop her in! That other engine we have is a lemon, I've come to terms with it. I'm giving up on it. This one runs so what do we have to lose?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
We got some updates for ya'll! Finally secured time to get this engine in the garage to be prepped for the swap. Been getting around in an old manual Honda Fit while the van has been down. Boy, those are great little cars! Really nice getting 42mpg. Maybe we can flat tow it behind the van?

PXL_20220817_205741465 copy.jpg
Anyway, time to get working on this thing. Got it for a good deal. But it's old, who knows how old, but it runs. So we're going to do a quick reseal.

PXL_20220817_205631380 copy.jpg
But upon further inspection, I was finding things that I did not like. Many hardware bolts with nut spacers? I have no faith in mechanics. Will be replacing hardware and any old bearing and seal/gasket.

PXL_20220818_012421598 copy.jpg
Also there are these messes. Like what shortcut was someone trying to do to cover this leak up? To be fair, in order to replace the gasket behind the timing case, you need pull the camshaft and injection pump. Well, now the engine is pretty much almost fully disassembled. The entire fuel system, exhaust, intake, alternator, hydraulic pump, fan pulley assembly, oil pan, rocker arm assemblies, lifters, camshaft, and a bunch of other stuff is laying everywhere. I did not remove the cylinder head from the block. We're going to assume the head gasket is fine. Also, these oil pumps last forever, and the water pump is literally the easiest thing to change so that is staying in.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
We got some updates for ya'll! Finally secured time to get this engine in the garage to be prepped for the swap. Been getting around in an old manual Honda Fit while the van has been down. Boy, those are great little cars! Really nice getting 42mpg. Maybe we can flat tow it behind the van?

View attachment 737641
Anyway, time to get working on this thing. Got it for a good deal. But it's old, who knows how old, but it runs. So we're going to do a quick reseal.

View attachment 737642
But upon further inspection, I was finding things that I did not like. Many hardware bolts with nut spacers? I have no faith in mechanics. Will be replacing hardware and any old bearing and seal/gasket.

View attachment 737643
Also there are these messes. Like what shortcut was someone trying to do to cover this leak up? To be fair, in order to replace the gasket behind the timing case, you need pull the camshaft and injection pump. Well, now the engine is pretty much almost fully disassembled. The entire fuel system, exhaust, intake, alternator, hydraulic pump, fan pulley assembly, oil pan, rocker arm assemblies, lifters, camshaft, and a bunch of other stuff is laying everywhere. I did not remove the cylinder head from the block. We're going to assume the head gasket is fine. Also, these oil pumps last forever, and the water pump is literally the easiest thing to change so that is staying in.

You're into it this far, why not replace the head gasket now for peace of mind?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Might as well throw new bearings in it as well. I don't know. This was supposed to be an easy swap, but I keep finding things as I dig deeper. Good thing changing the head gasket later once it's in the van is an afternoon job. But then again, the last head gasket I installed blew up just a few months later. Now I'm questioning my mechanic skills, haha.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
An afternoon job at the side of road while traveling, or how long now? I’m all for not going down the rabbit hole… but every time I see oil on the front of my SBC I wonder if I should have used the last 2 gaskets in the rebuild gasket kit when I replaced the others. I don’t loose any sleep over it… it’s probably from the valve cover gasket that wasn’t quite sitting right:… probably not the head gasket (it only a 50 year old engine with 75k miles).

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Well, that was fun. We ended up changing everything but the piston rings and bearings, haha. I know, we should have just done the whole thing, that's what is gonna happen to the old broken engine! Ready to throw this thing back in.

PXL_20220901_190901509 copy.jpg
Finally got some help to pull this engine out.

received_479501177365972 copy.jpg
Worst part was having to remove the passenger seat with all the hot tub controls in order to get the engine out.

received_1141156210147149 copy.jpg
Did I mention how easy it is to do engine swaps in this thing? I do it once per year, so you know I'm getting good at it.

received_644393600264259 copy.jpg
Multiple Cummins engines, oh boy! Swapping parts over from one to the other. Needed to steal the oil pick up tube, intake, and coolant hose fittings off the old engine.

PXL_20220904_194254934 copy.jpg
Took three days, lots of cussing, and of course dirty hands, but the "new" engine has many new parts and all new seals and ready to get thrown in!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Things were going well, full of challenges and tribunals. And then it all went horribly wrong again...

PXL_20220929_184006449 copy.jpg
Took a bunch of hands to get the hydraulic pump pack on as we never disconnect the lines, but instead remove the pump while it's in the vehicle.

PXL_20220925_235537186 copy.jpg
More tragedy stuck. Moving things around, dropped the turbocharger on the ground right before I installed it. the leverage from the oil pipe return seemed to trash center bearing housing. That was an expensive hit. It was pretty much a new unit, not sure what to do about that. Rigged up an old turbocharger I had laying around instead and got it running! Started right up once fuel lines were bled. Drove it around, everything seemed well. Then boom! Smoke was everywhere and the dipstick shot out of the engine. It's been a terrible last few weeks. I have no idea what to do with this piece of junk. I guess I need to try engine #5? Still living in the van, but it's still stranded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94