Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
There is lots of sun at the beach! Soaking up all that power and cooking up some serious meals. Use the power while you got it right?

PXL_20210617_123057809 copy.jpg
Picked up a waffle iron! Mmmmm, they hit the spot!

978D0D18-86A2-40A1-AAA6-D8A065BF34A1 copy.jpg
Enjoying the beach today. Letting the solar panels charge up the batteries so we can cook dinner.

PXL_20210618_232457208 copy.jpg
Why not have fresh crab! Pressure cooked them with some rice and potatoes, of course we used Old Bay. Had to stop and reset at some point because we didn't have enough water in there to get the pressure cooking going good. Next time we'll have it dialed in better.

PXL_20210619_211229537.MP copy.jpg
Finding other people that can drive this monstrosity. Also, having these headsets in the cab and in the back is awesome! So nice when you need order sandwiches or ice cream sundaes!

PXL_20210620_012154887.MP copy.jpg
Speaking of ice cream, what better to end the day with then ice cream and a movie! We're finding that leaving the bed down and set up is the way to go. We rarely put it up into couch mode.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Things were going great until we noticed that everyday someone was spilling water on the floor.

PXL_20210621_121358171.MP copy.jpg
Getting fancy with our cooking. Baking is now easy, as long as there is sun. Made some super awesome french toast casserole. As always, made enough extra to put in fridge for another day.

PXL_20210616_202311906 copy.jpg
And we got a nice system of washing dishes while driving.

PXL_20210622_214607815 copy.jpg
But, umm, that water on the floor was nobody spilling. Turns out the last week of the water pump kicking on randomly for one second every 20 minutes was actually a plumbing leak. Ripped the entire kitchen out, fixed the leaking hot water fitting, and proceeded to spend the next 2 days cleaning and drying. Worst part is that we had to drain 25 gallons of water! Water is way too precious on the road to just dump like that!

PXL_20210623_151800616 copy.jpg
The plywood back there is kinda messed up. Very glad we sealed the backside and polyurethaned the front. I imagine it could have been a whole lot worse. Cleaned it with bleach and water. Hooked up both portable fans. Rigged up the air heater in a temporary fashion and ran all that through the night. This was good timing since it dipped down into the 40's that night and the heat felt good. First time using the air heat in a applicable way. This is all quite unfortunate and we're quite bummed. All from just a drip. Has anyone had such catastrophe before?

almuric

Assateague? Did you just use Flex Tape to fix it? Or JB Weld?

As someone who's still in the process of building his adventure vehicle, I'm gonna have a hard time not over-tightening every fitting after seeing this devastation.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Haha, yep, Assateague Island. Are you talking about the leak? It was fixed by tightening clamp on a hose and adding a second clamp, the lines that go to and from the water heater. At some point, everything leaked except for those Sharkbite fittings. I was skeptical at first, but dang it, these things are great! No signs of leaking from them. And very glad I used them instead of the crimp fittings. It would suck to have to redo all those crimp fittings I'd have to undo to rip all this out and then get new hose and fittings and redo it all. Easy as pie with the Sharkbites since they can easily be removed and reused. Paid for themselves twice over right here. Next time, everything is getting PEX and Sharkbite fittings.

Farfrumwork

Never that type of catastrophe in any Adv-vehicle of mine, but I keep my water simple (7ga containers, lashed down - just close the spout and keep it pointed up). Running water would be nice though...

I did have something similar occur in my house. The water line into the back of our fridge sprung a little drip, which must have been leaking for a few days before we saw it in front of the fridge. Water in the crawl space below, and damaged floor in the kitchen - good times. Doesn't take much water to cause a big PITA

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Yes, running water is nice. But it comes at a cost, literally. Next build I am incorporating all the plumbing not just in one spot, but inside a waterproof catchpan compartment!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
So are the headsets required to communicate while driving? Or was it just for fun?
If you ever drive a step van at highway speeds, you will understand that headsets are not for show. But they are also kinda fun. Sounds like you're in a podcast the whole time.

Great project and even better pictures!
Thanks! Lots of work done, lots of work left to do...

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Oh geez, does anything not break? We are on a roll!

PXL_20210623_164238532.MP copy.jpg
Got the kitchen back together. Figured we get the compost toilet finished. Mixed some coco coir and diatomaceous earth together to aid in the compost process. We have our doubts, we'll let you know how it goes.

PXL_20210707_131633733.jpg
We store the mix right behind the toilet. Wish it was on the side of the toilet so the toilet seat wasn't in the way, but this is just how it all worked out. Just need a scooper and we'll be good to go.

PXL_20210627_191937905 copy.jpg
Somewhere mostly uninhabited northern Indiana, noticed loss of power, the boost was dropping, and the egt was rising. Pulled over to take a look.

PXL_20210625_144914283 copy.jpg
Well, the repair welds on the turbocharger flange adapter held great. But Chinese steel is Chinese steel. Had this all sitting in the back of my head since we first had it repaired. Sometimes your nightmares come true. Had some broken bolts on the exhaust manifold too. Nothing a torch couldn't handle and replaced with stainless hardware.

PXL_20210625_152552761 copy.jpg
Caught it in time before the turbocharger fell completely off again.

PXL_20210626_150209231 copy.jpg
This ought to fix it! No more turbochargers falling off around here!

Last edited:

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
So we were parked in some Minneapolis neighborhood, on a hill, between two cars. Went to leave and the clutch pedal goes right to the floor. Turns out, all the hydraulic fluid leaked out through a bad fitting. Determined to get where we were going, I man-handled the thing and got it going, even though the transmission took several large blows while I was trying to get out of that pickle. Hopefully the clutch is ok after that mess.

PXL_20210701_183034263 copy.jpg
So here is our culprit. The line going into the slave cylinder should be straight. The metal on the hardline wore out from the roll pin. Could not get it to seal and not leak.

PXL_20210707_145900012 copy.jpg
Also couldn't easily get replacement hard lines, so we came up with our own setup with some stainless steel line.

PXL_20210623_221915086.MP.jpg
Was able to get back on the road and found a nice stream to pump out some water and into our storage tanks. We use the hot tub pump under the passenger seat to suck water out of stream. Works pretty good.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Oh boy, the clutch did not enjoy what I did to it back in Minneapolis...

PXL_20210703_225836220 copy.jpg
So the girls have never read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. So we spent the day floating down the Mississippi in our "raft" and me telling them all about Mark Twain's American classic..

PXL_20210708_174408259 copy.jpg
And then we were off to much more desolate places! Crossing the country without taking the interstates is the way to go!

PXL_20210708_190216876 copy.jpg
But then we broke down again. This time in the middle of nowhere. Van wouldn't go into any gear. Clutch hydraulics worked fine, shift fork moves, just a faint grinding coming from the transmission. We think to ourselves, what could it be now?

PXL_20210708_234938775 copy.jpg
So the van is now immobile. Took the top cover off of the transmission and confirmed that all that was fine. We're tired, so we sit on the roof and watch an approaching storm roll through.

PXL_20210710_144358743 copy.jpg
The next day we came up with a plan to lower the 200+ pound cast iron transmission with some chain anchored to the corner ceiling supports in the cab, and a come-along down to some straps around the transmission. Worked super great and the dirt cushioned the transmissions fall!

PXL_20210710_175955831 copy.jpg
Now that the clutch is all apart, the first thing I notice is when I grabbed the center hub by the splines on the clutch plate, it jingles and jangles all around. That is not normal. If you look carefully, you can see the sides of the hub up against the springs. The faint grinding noises was actually the hub plate riding against the springs. This thing is done for. I'm pretty sure I damaged it back in Minneapolis when the clutch hydraulic line broke and I started it in reverse/hammered it home and it bucked all over the place a few times. Oh well, live and learn.

PXL_20210711_000946323 copy.jpg
So now we had to get a replacement. Being in the middle of nowhere meant we had to load up our backpacks and spend the day hiking some railroad tracks which did take us to the nearest town with an autoparts store. Luckily they had a replacement clutch kit.

PXL_20210711_021307781 copy.jpg
Made it back to the rig just before dark. The next day I pretended to know what I was doing and got the new clutch in. Our hoist system was perfect, never had a transmission go back in so easily! This might be my new preferred method of transmission removal.

PXL_20210711_164048783.MP copy.jpg
I wasn't the only one working. This was a two person job! But now we're good to go and back on the road. What else could go wrong?

iggi

Ian
Oh the adventures! :)
Not sure if it would apply to you but when the clutch slave cylinder went on my old landcruiser the gearing was low enough I could start it in gear. Better than slam shifting it.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
The adventures never end! In Minneapolis, I was parked on side of road on a hill between two cars. Had no hydraulics for clutch, had a hard time getting it orientated to do a 1st gear no clutch start. Had to bump it backwards in reverse, uphill, a few times before I hit the car behind me in order to get enough clearance to swing it forward and to the left to get into the road to do the start. Now, the clutch completely separated, so no matter what, the transmission and engine would never connect. We have the worst luck!

ITTOG

These will be great memories twenty years from now. Good job rolling with the punches and making the best of it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online