Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I would need new engine mounts, different transmission, adapters, new driveshaft, might need to regear the axle. This is a 10k lb brick, so mpg would definitely be single digits. And this is my home. I have nowhere else to go...

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Yay for an update! Been settling into the new home location lately. Did some more cleaning and fully moved back into the van.

PXL_20231104_144640899 copy.jpg
Finished cleaning and scrubbing. Opened every compartment. Placed an ozone generator pack into the living space and closed it up for 24 hours.

PXL_20231104_144934122 copy.jpg
These things create ozone and cleanse the space. It started bubbling as soon as we mixed all the chemicals and it did work! The interior is like a morgue now, void of all life with no odors, good or bad. Need to start cooking in it and stuff to make it smell like people live here.

Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 11.31.59 AM.png
We wanted to relocate the van to more level place to do the engine swap. The tilted front yard was not going to work. The van "runs", but it does not have much power and is stuck in 1st gear. So we got the old work truck fired up and it pulled it off the lawn with ease.

PXL_20231107_150020230 copy.jpg
We did start the van engine so it would have powered brakes just in case. Just needed to sit in cab with foot on the clutch in order to be pulled in reverse. The driveway is very steep down towards the garage with a retaining wall at the end with a six foot drop, so we really wanted to stay in control for this maneuver. It was indeed a three person job! But we got the rig into a permanent location and leveled it all out and stuff.

llamalander

Welcome home! Good news about the chicken death killer--I didn't imagine it was actually possible to get rid of that smell.
When will you start the LS swap?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I'm super paranoid about the fridge now. Like I do not want to leave it for weeks at a time with stuff in it. But yes, very impressed that the smells are gone. I literally almost gave up and threw a molotov cocktail into the thing when I first opened up the van to the chicken fiasco. Haha, no engines until I work more and save money for a new one.

ITTOG

I forgot about the chicken death scene. Now the ozone cleaner makes more sense.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Living in the van while stationary is going pretty well. Been working and saving money and just trying to enjoy life while I got it.

PXL_20231108_232459806.NIGHT copy.jpg
Yes, many things are broken. But, we still maintain our priorities.

PXL_20231117_233705292 copy.jpg
Staying in one place without driving and charging the batteries with the alternator has made it very difficult to run necessities like the fridge and the hot tub. And being the dead of winter in WV we do not get enough sun for the solar to keep up. So I opted to get a 15amp a/c to d/c charger. I wired it in before the rest of the fancy transfer switches and other dodads so this switched outlet always has power when the van is plugged into shore power. So far, it has been working great! It is just enough to stay ahead of all the hot tub stuff when it is running.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Oh boy, taking this engine out this time was with record time despite the less than desirable circumstances!

PXL_20240122_040316492 copy.jpg
It's been quite snowy up here in the WV mountains. Waited for it all to melt and let the ground dry out a bit.

PXL_20240126_214224443 copy.jpg
Finally got a nice day to take the engine out! But we're lifting 1000 pounds on a few small steel wheels. We assumed it wouldn't work without trying. What we did try is putting down hardwood flooring under the van for the engine hoist to roll around on!

PXL_20240126_222701509 copy.jpg
It was strange laying down on hardwood flooring while working on the drive train. But hey, it was comfortable and kept us out of the mud!

PXL_20240126_223944427 copy.jpg
It was very strange to look down and see. Has anyone else done auto mechanics on hardwood flooring before? Are we going to start a trend? Is this how Jay Leno works on his fleet of collectibles?

PXL_20240201_211647201 copy.jpg
Although super heavy, the wheels rolled just fine any which way we needed to go! Better than expected. Highly recommended. Labor to remove engine this time was down to about 6 hours with 3 of us. Unfortunately, getting really good at this...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles