CUCV to Camper - Building a cheap army vehicle into a baja rig

kylethompson

Man what an awesome build! I love some good ol crusty american rigs and I love being able to spot another born for adventure follower!

It's awesome you are just willing to fully commit on projects. last few times I've hit mex it has been to the touristy areas but I need me some camping and some long rights.
Just keep driving! Get any old map and get past El Rosario. You’ll find what you need :)

kylethompson

Nice M1031 and cool build. Been slowly working on my M1010. Where are you located? I am assuming SoCal area. I am in San Diego. My build thread link in my signature. Keep the pics and info coming.
Hey mike. We actually exchanged messages a few times regarding your cucv and that helped me weigh out my confusing bunch of options around gearing, tranny, tire size, power etc. Good to see you here again. I am looking forward to seeing your 1010 finished.

I grew up in San Diego but live in Ojai now. Im in San Diego every other week so maybe some time I can come by and see your rig.

ExpoMike

Hey mike. We actually exchanged messages a few times regarding your cucv and that helped me weigh out my confusing bunch of options around gearing, tranny, tire size, power etc. Good to see you here again. I am looking forward to seeing your 1010 finished.

I grew up in San Diego but live in Ojai now. Im in San Diego every other week so maybe some time I can come by and see your rig.

Cool deal. We'll definitely have to hook up one of these days.

kylethompson

Yesterday I finally put in the blazer 25 gallon tank. I had previously put in a 20 gallon fuel cell with the assistance of a buddy the day prior to a Baja trip. Well, that tank failed at the welds and proved useless. This time it’s a factory Chevy tank and I took more care with the bracing.

I bought generic tank straps and hang those from all thread bolted into the frame rails. I re-used crossmember from the spare tire carrier and remounted it toward the bumper. Friend made a stainless cross member for the forward position. I ended up adding a third cross member for the middle to have something to snug up to that was more level (but still pitched a little toward the front bumper). I needed to pitch it downward a little to avoid the “level filling” issue I had with the first tank. It was a messy process trying to fill the previous tank! Lots of spill back, even when using leveling blocks in the rear.

Tank ready to go up.
d11190e959260edbf9c2d0b76e308dc3.jpg

Since it’s a standard gas tank the diameter of of the fill tube and fuel return are smaller than my diesel fill neck. In Mexico lots of the diesel pumps are only sized for semis so you need that larger fill neck. So I bought a 2” to 1.5” fill neck reducer and also made a little splice (pictured here) for the fuel return thingie.
5f30842985c72ce64cb3a9a65fc0ec21.jpg

I didn’t want to mess with fuel tank selectors or return lines to the engine (I am NOT a mechanic!) so I hooked the output of the new fuel tank to an inline diesel rated pump from jegs (30 bucks or so) and then ran the output of the pump to a tee in the main tank fuel fill line. It’s the same setup as I had with the fuel cell and it works awesome. I have a switch bank in the cab that turns the pump on. It’s nice to transfer fuel while you drive. You can just watch the gauge for the main tank go up and the extra tank go down while cruising on the freeway!
985ed60c0c6690cf364de337ade03aa7.jpg

63a43b40222a701e8104d018d03fa33c.jpg

Now I have almost 55 gallons on board with my jerry can and at 15mpg (much better now that I have OD!) that’s… a long way. 800 miles or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antennaclimber

Very nice work and a great write up on your build.

Having more fuel capacity in a CUCV is almost a necessity.
When I added a second fuel tank on my M1008 Convoy vehicle build, I also added an electric fuel pump to transfer fuel from the right side to the factory left side tank. The factory IP return line going to the left tank remained in place. A second fuel gauge was added as well for the additional fuel tank. The transfer pump is mounted on a cross member between the tanks. With a momentary switch in the cab to turn the transfer pump on, it sure is nice to "refuel" while driving down the road.

20180505_102939_resized.jpg
Please keep us up to date on any more modifications and additions to the M1031 and thank you for taking the time to document the progress and post it here.

Dang.....I rarely read build threads as they typically just don't interest me but this was great. I generally last one or two posts and then I quickly lose interest. Your story & build actually captivated me and I made it to the end. Well done and thanks for posting.....

I quit drinking alcohol maybe 20 years ago and have never looked back.....I believe life is better without it.....good on you.....

kylethompson

Got the fabric in. I went to a local boat fabric guy and had him sew it up. After messing with a couple of designs for a hard side pop up I decided it was beyond my capabilities to do a quality job. Also really wanted to be done with this thing. Haha

Now to take it camping.

Attachments

• 68D83BC2-F485-4F91-B4F1-B256A4509BED.jpeg
    68D83BC2-F485-4F91-B4F1-B256A4509BED.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 141
  • 43E1E0A9-7C2E-4F33-B85C-5761B74BC728.jpeg
    43E1E0A9-7C2E-4F33-B85C-5761B74BC728.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 143

ExpoMike

Very cool!!! I was torn between a hard side pop up, soft side pop up or just a hard side fixed. I ended up going with the fixed option because I didn't want to deal with trying to find someone to do the fabric. Nice job on your setup.

Here is where mine is currently at, with the fixed sides.

0926211420.jpg

kylethompson

Looking good! Did you ever think about making it a cabover? Unless you need that AC unit of course.
Very cool!!! I was torn between a hard side pop up, soft side pop up or just a hard side fixed. I ended up going with the fixed option because I didn't want to deal with trying to find someone to do the fabric. Nice job on your setup.

Here is where mine is currently at, with the fixed sides.

View attachment 705745

ExpoMike

Looking good! Did you ever think about making it a cabover? Unless you need that AC unit of course.

I thought about it but having a Four Wheel Camper popup before, we didn't want to deal with a cab over bed anymore. Since I am doing bunk bed design instead, cab over would be a lot of work for wasted space. As it is, I have a really nice, aluminum storage box that will go over the cab area, once I get that A/C unit off. Plus, I think it would be easier to do the cab over with the M1031 box then the M1010 box. They are built very differently and since yours starts lower, it an easier starting point. To get the strength in the M1010 box, it would require a LOT of chopping up and welding in new structure.

bajaphile

Nice pics! Always gives me a drop in the stomach feeling seeing those locations on the internet though! haha. My dad took me down to those exact spots in the late 80s. We would camp there 1-2 weeks at a time in the winters and never see another truck... good memories there.

kylethompson

Nice pics! Always gives me a drop in the stomach feeling seeing those locations on the internet though! haha. My dad took me down to those exact spots in the late 80s. We would camp there 1-2 weeks at a time in the winters and never see another truck... good memories there.
Totally. No directions, invitations or names though. The fun is in the search and I wouldn't want to take that away from them any more than I'd claim anywhere as "my spot". My baja travels started in the 80s too. As crowded as it is now compared to then, now is a whole lot less crowded than the future! Just enjoy it now and pack out as much of everyone else's trash as you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles