CUCV to Camper - Building a cheap army vehicle into a baja rig

kylethompson

Hello all. I've been reading EXPO for a few years now and gleaning tons of great information. Thanks to all for sharing.

This is my baja rig and I've been working on it, camping out of it, and building some basic mechanical knowledge for just under a year and a half. I know this because I bought the thing the first week of lockdown and had to explain to my neighbors that I hadn't gone full 'prepper' when I rolled up in a crusty camo war wagon. I bought it for a very reasonable price from a fellow on craigslist marketplace after searching for a few months. Here is it how it looked when I got it home.
IMG_4362.png
I am very fortunate to be a lifelong Baja aficionado (my dad worked there and we surfed it all through my childhood together) and my most recent offroad incident down there pushed me over the edge to get a dedicated baja rig. I've always driven my daily driver down there, whether van or station wagon. I've been stuck so many times, but always get out. I just figured if you drive offroad enough, you get stuck. It happens. But the trip prior to the CUCV purchase was particularly bad. A stream had undercut the road and we slid right into the sink hole in the mud. After hours of digging, reinforcement and max tracking I went for a hike to the nearest house and found someone to pull us out.

Packed / Camped / Surfed&Fished Out
IMG_3972.pngIMG_4134.pngIMG_4135.png

...Stuck
IMG_4154.png
It happens. Van didn't turn over and nothing was damaged. As long as patience (and water) last it's all gonna be fine.

So the day after getting home the dedicated baja 4x4 rig search starts... After all the requisite jokes about unimogs and humvees with the wife, I narrowed in on the M1031, a maintenance truck built by GM for the military in the mid 80s. I really like the late 80's and early 90s trucks (wife has an OBS 7.3l F250 CCSB) and the boxy style, sturdy drivetrain and very simple engine of the CUCV series fit the bill. CUCV stand for Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle, by the way. These trucks can be had for 4-10k or so and often come with very low mileage. Mine was 6000 and had 24,000 miles on it. It came with an NP205 transfer case, a kingpin dana 60 with limited slip in the front and a corporate 14 bolt GM axle with detroit locker in the rear. Differentials are geared at 4.56. It has a naturally aspirated 6.2L diesel and a TH400 3 speed as well. So, very sturdy and lots of potential. Plus, all those compartments! I won't lie, that was a big motivator.

First was a trip to my trusted diesel mechanic to change fluids, add shocks (it came with the rear shocks totally missing!) give it a once over and let me know if I've made a mistake before I spend any money. Everything checked out with a clean bill of health and I'm off to the races.

First order of business was to get it painted. I enlisted the whole family and we gave it a good backyard paint job, complete with house paint rollers and 4 year old labor. I did the taping.
IMG_4459.pngIMG_4462.pngIMG_4464.png
I know that some have an affinity for olive drab and camo in general, but it's not my thing. Besides, this vehicle has a very specific new mission - to explore offroad in remote, rural baja california. The very last thing you want when rolling up to a checkpoint, or camping solo in the wilderness in a foreign county is to look like an american military vehicle. Low key, and a good compliment to baja dust were the goals for this color and material choice. I spent $15 on tan spray paint and $25 on a color matched gallon of exterior house paint. I still have a bit leftover and use it for touch up after I accidentally or intentionally run into things.

After that I removed the guts of the maintenance parts in order to open up the box for a buildout. There was a PTO driven generator, an air tank (compressor missing) and a giant inverter and breaker panel. Where I had to cut wires for removal, I labeled each side of the cut with matching numbers so someone could use everything if they wished. I ended up trading these things for a rad toy, which I'll get to later.

Next up was driveability. It's an old crusty truck with bare metal in the cab and one bench seat and I like it that way. No need to change that. But the speed is a REAL issue. No Overdrive, 4.56 gears and little tires meant that the engine and my ears were both very unhappy above 50 mph. Many 6.2L enthusiasts are adamant that the engine won't be damaged by running at or near redline, but the 3000-3500 RPM needed to be barely driveable on the freeway was not going to work. So I bought some hmmv 37" takeoffs with beadlocks. I also had to get some super intense 3" spacers to account for the crazy backspace on the hummer wheels. I could now drive on the freeway, more or less, and the military tires weren't nearly as hard or square as online accounts had me believe.

Along with the 37s, came a suspension lift and some steering parts from Off Road Warehouse. They were very very helpful and I'll definitely buy from them again.

Trying out the new wheels for size:
IMG_4551.png
The pandemic lockdown was bumming us out, so we loaded up the truck with six packs and went to spread some joy around the neighborhood, dropping off gifts and yelling out the window. Here is the wife loading up those handy compartments with beer and avocados. She's 6' and makes the truck look shorter than it is!
IMG_4492.png

to be continued (reached my photo attachment limit!)

Last edited:

kylethompson

continued... post 2

It's not worth much more than a mention, but I chopped up and welded a piece of scrap fencing and made a little ladder for getting to the roof.
IMG_4595.png
And of course I took some breaks to go camp with the kids. I hadn't even touched the camper conversion but who cares - lockdown is boring.
IMG_4771.png
When the lift parts came in I brought the truck to my local tire shop for installation. I also sprung for some new 17" rims and 37" Yokohama X-ATs. The cheap hummer take offs got me started, but I had too many nagging concerns (weight of the run flat inside, those giant spacers, and not least of all trying to deal with a 2 piece rim in the middle of the desert if something goes wrong). On goes the 4" lift and new shoes and it's starting to take shape.

Even with the 4" lift, which was the highest I was willing to go, I had to cut a ton of fender. I've never done any body work before. In fact, I've never done almost anything other than maintenance and tightening things to any vehicle before, so this was all quite the learning experience. I bought a pair of absurdly overpriced bushwhacker flares ($300 for 2 pieces of plastic??) and some new sawzall blades and cleared my schedule.

Mocking up placement/cuts
IMG_4956.png
There was just nothing left really after the required cuts, so I had to figure out a way to keep the inner and outer fender together. I decided to clamp and tack weld them together. We can talk about my welding skills and lack of material prep another time, but it worked.
IMG_4961.pngIMG_4966.png
I somehow spaced on an after photo of the fender flares. But you'll see them in all the rest of the photos. Attached with self tappers.

Once it was driveable I decided to start working on the camping part. There's a really great old book from a guy that camped and explored baja in the 50s. One chapter is dedicated to his vehicles. Since I was a kid and first saw this book I thought it was the coolest setup. So I'm using that as inspiration. Here is a pic of one of his old baja rigs:
RenderedImage.png
Since I removed all the old gen set and other items I have a pretty spacious, if low roofed, interior. On each side of the vehicle are 3 compartments with doors and one door that opens to what previously was the gen set / inverter. After I removed that it left enough space to sleep side to side here, at least for myself. I'm 6'3 and fit great.

So I covered the exposed corrugated aluminum with leftover osb I had laying around and built an extension drawer and bed platform here. IMG_4578.pngIMG_4955.png
kind of skipping ahead here, but having the door there at the bed makes for a nice view.
IMG_6346.png

kylethompson

continued... post 3

Since I was building this for driving to and staying in the baja desert, I knew I wanted to carry some water on board. Emboldened by not completely screwing up either the tack welds on the fenders or the makeshift ladder, I decided to make a mounting bracket for a water tank. I located one that would fit just right and got to it. I also purchased a little 12v pump, a water fill panel and an RV shower panel. Right next to the location for the water tank was a handy panel that really didn't do anything but hold the mud into the wheel wells. So, a perfect spot for a shower head.
Tank and part of the bracket:
IMG_5087.png
Welds starting to approach acceptable, depending on how picky you are.
IMG_5088.png
Paint
IMG_5093.png
Panels:
IMG_5098.pngIMG_5099.png

At the same time I installed some combo cam locks on ALL the outside doors. There was a spot on the T handles for a pad lock, but that rattles a ton and you have to have the key. I like the idea of being able to lock the cab, put my keys in one of these boxes out here, go surf or hike, and be able to use the combo to get my keys out. Safe and convenient. The locks are pretty cheap on amazon and have held up well. I was worried the dust would gum up the works inside but after many trips off road that has not happened. I had to cut a little slot for the cam to move into in the locked position and after the guesswork and adjustment on the first cabinet install, all the rest went smoothly.
IMG_4960.pngIMG_4976.png

Last edited:

kylethompson

continued... post 4

All this work and not enough fun. So I took it out for a little off road testing. Seems to flex well enough for my needs. And it can drive up anything I would want to in 4 LO, especially with that low gearing.
IMG_5003.png

With these nice big tires, I had no way of carrying a spare. 37 was waaaaaaay too big for behind the rear axle. So decided to continue to work on my welding skills by making a tire carrier. I looked into swing away carriers but I didn't want to always be moving something. Plus It's hard to imaging something that big and heavy not squeaking at some point. Breakage was also a concern. So my plan was to make something with thick tube steel, attach it to both bumper and frame, and have it just far enough out so the mini tailgate could open. This vehicle has (or had) a small tail gate and two bifold doors above that.

The idea behind the design is that the main piece through bolts into where the shackle post thingie attaches the frame rail and the two pieces that go off to the left and right connect to the bumper to provide left and right jostling support. Either my design worked because I'm a genius or you could have attached 2x3x3/16 tube steel to anything and it would be strong. Either way, the spare tire is still attached after many hours of heavy bumping.

Mocking it up
IMG_5152.png
All the parts assembled. The two closest pieces (plate and round tube) are from a trailer mounting kit I bought on amazon. The rest is just tube.
IMG_5163.png
With tire and tail gate open
IMG_5166.png

We put up a 100 watt solar panel and connected it with an isolator to one of the starter batteries around this time as well. Bent some flat bar to make a bracket to hold down the battery. My youngest helped with the voltmeter to keep me safe. I'm really happy when they want to help. God knows I play enough nerf guns and pokemon with them, so it's nice to mix it up!IMG_5072.pngIMG_5496.png

Last edited:

kylethompson

continued... post 5

That gen set and the other unused maintenance truck items went up on steelsoldiers.com for free. I figured that if anyone wanted this stuff, it would be a military vehicle enthusiast. Sure enough I got an inquiry and the gentlement even offered to trade! He asked what I needed for the truck and I couldn't think of anything. After a minute of brainstorming, I said something the effect of "very cool of you for offering, but all I really want at the moment is a winch and I assume you don't have any of those you want to give away!". I assumed incorrectly. He said he had a take off winch from an MRAP that he'd be happy to part with. Needless to say I was pretty pleased with the trade. Upon inspection it was a warn 18k industrial series that was wired for 24 volts. This is a particularly nice thing because the CUCVs came with a hybrid 12/24v system. I didn't go over the little military specific wiring things I changed since I don't think they're particularly useful to anyone here, but I did keep the 24V buss in the truck and it worked great for the winch.
IMG_4920.png
I made a mount for the winch and bolted the winch to the plate with the specified bolts. They thread into the case of the winch itself so you couldn't really do it wrong anyhow.
IMG_5167.png
I also installed a backup camera to keep the kids safe and make for more pleasant around town driving. With the giant box behind me, there may as well not even be a rear window.
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 6.46.50 PM.png

Also new around this time were some fold out tables to fit in the remainder of that odd side panel at the wheel wells (both sides)
IMG_6183.pngIMG_6186.png
as well as a usb and switch panel for the extra battery. This goes in the lower part of the dash and it just barely fit! I switch my trail lights and the outside shower water pump with this. I have other plans for the remaining switches.
IMG_5081.png
This was yet more work, so it was time for a family baja trip. In the sprinter again, since the family baja vehicle will be a future purchase, but we take it easy and stay away from mud and sand and all is good. We took 3 weeks and drove the whole peninsula. The little man slayed the fish and his brother surfed long sandy points. It was a great trip.
IMG_5599.pngIMG_5998.png

kylethompson

Does the family sleep in the sprinter when on trips?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yeah the whole family sleeps in the sprinter. Or they did at least... getting ready to sell the sprinter and build out the new family baja mobile - a Jeep Gladiator Mojave that we recently bought. I'm ordering a custom cabover pop up camper for it and I'll probably post pics at some point next year.

With the sprinter, I had a bed platform in back over storage drawers and a bench seat that converts to a bed for the kids. It really is a pretty capable vehicle until you hit sand or mud, then it's basically helpless. But I took that thing for many hundreds of miles of of off road in baja and southern california over the last 3 years and it handled well. Once you air the tires way down and combine realistic expectations with good driving inputs you can get over and through a lot.

jpat30

Adventurer
This is an absolutely awesome build! I love these old CUCVs. They make for such great adventure rigs!

kylethompson

continued... post 6

I took pictures along the way on this build but didn't think I'd actually post anything. Can't believe I'm on the 6th post of pics... I hope that other unskilled tinkerers out there can glean a little confidence from my fumblings with this thing. Just learn on a cheap vehicle and not your new truck!

OK. I left off with a family vacation to baja. After returning I got back to work on the truck. And by back to work I mean spending a half afternoon every other week tinkering. The pandemic threw all kinds of crazy curveballs at us, from selling our business to keeping elderly family members safe from COVID during chemotherapy to quitting drinking... it was a jumble of forward, back and sideways in every aspect of life. Looking back I definitely used CUCV building time as a way to clear my head and focus on little things I could control. It provided a lot of solace. And of course it's just fun to use tools and rip stumps out of the yard with your absurdly oversized winch. Haha.

I made plans for a proper surf trip with a baja buddy for the week of new years eve. I'm sure I'm leaving some things out of the timeline here, but I've already written more than I intended. So here's a pic of the truck at this point in the build on that new years surf trip. You can see the sideways sleeping platform all the way forward in the box. We completely scored. Life is good. And the truck conquered everything we put in its way. The size of the tires really seemed to help on the washboard. Once those 37s are aired down enough the great big sidewalls just absorbed everything. 40-45 mph on rough roads and feeling nothing. The only real problem with the truck on this trip was the fuel mileage. This thing is geared to go slowwwww. Even with the quasi-overdrive of the bigger tires, I went from getting 18mpg (stock tires, rpm at 2200) to something like 10mpg on the freeway (lift, 37s, 2800 rpm). My fuel mileage actually went way up as soon I got on the dirt roads, which was definitely a new experience for me.
IMG_6393.JPGIMG_6422.JPG

I got back from the trip and got to work on the camping part of the truck based on what I learned over new years. First up on this round of improvements was to ditch the tailgate / barn door configuration. I'm sure it served a useful purpose in its military life, but all it did for me was rattle and let the dust in.

So I started the search for an RV door that met my criteria. This was way harder than I thought and probably consumed 3 or 4 full evenings in bed internet searching after putting the kids to sleep. I wanted it to be as large as it could be given the opening I had available, be lockable and be able to open from the inside. It also had to clear the giant spare tire hovering nearby.

This would negate all my effort to carry the spare tire far enough out to clear the tailgate, since the tailgate was gone. But I figure I can mount a bike or trash can into that dead space at some point.

So I bought a door on amazon. Then a week later the guy said it was backordered. This is the theme of the year. Supply chain madness due to covid. Don't even ask me about the dishwasher I ordered 9 months ago... Then I bought a door on ebay and sure enough it arrived. I removed the tail gate and barn doors (probably 200 lbs worth of metal and wood!) and started laying things out.
IMG_6518.pngIMG_6519.pngIMG_6522.pngIMG_6548.png
I bought a stainless boat ladder and installed it on the bumper. I like this for the way into the camper because I will often use rocks or 2x12 to level out the camper, so the distance from top of bumper to the ground varies. Since this thing telescopes, it always reaches the ground no matter how I'm parked. I put some furniture non stick pads on it to cushion it against the door and bungeed it so it didn't rattle. Works great!

Now I can get into the camper, leave it open with the screen for airflow, I have a bed, an awning for shade (didn't mention that part. It's ironman 4x4, super cheap and works great), and a winch for emergencies. There are exactly zero trees where I camp 99% of the time, but I figured between the sand anchor I picked up on craigslist or using the winch to pull out other vehicles it'll come in handy at some point.

Another fun thing about the winch - it came with all the cords cut on it. I wasn't about to spend hundreds of dollars on a rare and specific remote and power connecter for it, so I improvised. I used the CUCV jumper cable port in the grill (which happens to be 24 volt thanks to NATO compatibility requirements) and a cut off jumper cable connecter for the power connection. It's nice to not have the winch hard wired. Peace of mind for me. The search for the male and female ends to make a new remote cable was both long and unfruitful. After a few days I gave up and decided to make my own. In a former life I owned a recording studio and did a TON of cable making and soldering. For low voltage. if you know the pinout of something and both sides match it doesn't really matter what the connector is. I did enough reading on the remotes to know that the voltage going through the remote control was just control voltage and didn't need any special beefy conductors. I figured that mic cable with XLR connectors would work just fine. I bought a generic winch remote for cheap on ebay, got out the soldering iron and made a new cable. There's only three connectors and I found the pinout diagram online so it was easy.

The two new connectors:
IMG_7765.JPG
After making the remote cable I realized a super handy thing about using XLR (regular old microphone cables) - they can be daisy chained! So for the cost of another 25 foot mic cable on amazon (which is like 10 bucks) I can buy myself another 25 feet away from the kill zone if I have to really make the winch work some day. I carry the 20 foot remote and a 25 foot extension under the bench seat.

Now to address gas mileage and RPM issues. After talking with lots of transmission shops and considering a built up 700R4, I bit the bullet and bought a gear vendors overdrive. It was a complicated process but no point in going into that here. The important thing to note is that it's ridiculously awesome. With the OD bolted on I get to keep my TH400 and NP205, each of which only have like 25k miles on them and everything on this truck stays heavy duty. My RPMs dropped way down and now I'm making around 15-16mpg on the freeway, which I feel is pretty darned good for a full size dinosaur with a lift.

Other little things I skipped over were changing all the belts, all the hoses, running injector cleaner in the fuel (huge difference in power! I think it cleaned out the IP pretty well), re routing the air intake from the engine compartment to the front grill with flexible rain gutter hose (look it up on youtube) and putting in a fuel cell between the frame rails where the spare tire went.

Fast forward 5 months from the new years surf trip to the fuel cell install. I bought it on ebay for 200 bucks. I cut out the cross member for the spare tire to make space, cut a hole above the bumper for the fuel filler, and installed an inline pump to move fuel into the main tank via that tank's fuel fill hose. It's basically a tee that you install on the main tank fuel fill hose. Miraculously, all of the systems worked right on install... the day before my next trip. The friend I was headed to baja with (also an expo member) is an extremely talented fabricator and van builder. He helped install the tank by making some custom stainless cross members to hold the straps I made up to the frame rails.

The next day we packed up and headed out for another week surf trip. We scored again (it's a theme). But of course it's not a baja trip unless something breaks, and this trip it was that garbage ebay fuel cell. It cracked at the welds after 2 hours of washboard and dumped 15 of its 20 gallons along the trail. I pick up trash on the beach and recycle so hopefully mother nature will forgive me for the diesel crumb trail I left in central baja.

I can't stress enough how amazing it is having access to all the camp gear from the outside. All packed up and nothing in the bed but chairs and fridge.
IMG_7073.png
The leak discovered
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 6.46.21 PM.png
Since that trip, I've bought a 25 gallon blazer tank and am installing it in the same location. This is a much better way to go, and though I'm not finished totally, I really like the way it's looking. Tank straps not pictured here, but don't worry I won't forget.
IMG_7307.png

Last edited:

kylethompson

continued... post 7

OK I think this is going to get me caught up to where I'm at with the truck. It's not done but man is it getting close. At this point, I can:
-Drive over pretty much anything
-Do safe speeds on the freeway, long grades excepted
-Pack enough fuel and water for a long trip off road
-Have reasonable expectations of reliability based on the new rubber parts, low mileage engine and transmission and new suspension
-Camp and sleep in comfort

There's not much lacking here on this list. It can't take the family on trips, being a single cab, but that's an issue for a whole other thread. One conspicuous point missing on the above list is standing room. I loved pop up campers as a kid. And as a young adult, I bought and loved an 81 westy. It was an incredibly poor financial decision and cost a ton in maintenance, but I just love pop ups.

So I guess I have to build a pop top.

To commit myself, I posted up my cargo rack on craigslist free. I know this about myself that I will dither and do nothing unless I commit. It probably looks careless or reckless to others but who cares.

Before even beginning research I decided the pop up had to have hard sides and a cab over section for sleeping. I figured that my kids might want to come on these more hardcore, less wife friendly surf trips and we'd need more sleeping space.

I started with building lots of little models out of ripped 3/4" ply and plastic hinges. I spent many evenings online looking at builds here, commercially available options, folding cardboard boxes... basically anything I could find that folded up and wasn't made of canvas! I even asked a couple of users here to build one for me. No luck, but lots of friendly and helpful messages. Especially encouraging and helpful were conversations via email with @WY_CC. Thanks man!

I ended up building 3 models based on 1) casa trotter build, 2) the adventure truck 2.0 on imgur (the pre-Hiatus model by the same couple that started the company) and the @WY_CC build.

Adventure Truck model:
IMG_7766.png
WY_CC Model (but without the bifold sides)
IMG_6986 2.png
And I lost the photo of the casa trotter model. But it was pretty rad. Too complicated for me to take on while learning to weld aluminum, but a worthy inspiration for sure! So I decided to do the wedge camper ala WY_CC, but with a twist. Since I have this giant box, I decided to do a side wedge. I saw it first on this cool jeep build by AEV. How cool is this thing?aev-outpost-ii-is-the-awesome-jeep-wrangler-conversion-you-cant-have_1.jpeg:

I wanted to make it out of 8020 so I didn't have to buy a spool gun. But after lots of failed attempts to source the right lengths of 3"x1", I gave up and ordered aluminum tube and a cheap spool gun for my hobart. My hobart handler isn't spool gun compatible, but the amazon spool gun kit comes with a switch you install on the welder to allow you to choose to power your built in wire feed or send power to the spool gun wire feed. It was intimidating to drill into my nice new welder, but the instructions on youtube were pretty darn good and it all worked great. I'm using 1/8" thickness 3x1, 1x1 and 3/4" angle for this so far. And I'm not done yet so after this post you'll be caught up with my incomplete build!

To follow the commitment theme, I drill out the rivets holding the roof on and rip it out! Now I have a giant open utility bed. Not pictured in these photos is also me un-mounting the ply and RV door and trimming it down to fit flush into the opening.
IMG_7619.pngIMG_7620.png
Getting started on welding the frame. The butt joints on the 1/8 tube didn't seem strong enough, so I bought 1/4" thick 1x3 angle online and welded these little strengthening bits on to each edge. I was worried it would look janky but I think it's turning out ok. Why buy angle online you ask? Well if you're using angle on the outside of a joint, the inside of your angle needs to be a perfect 90. Most angle has a little bitty radius to it and won't snug up squarely on the outside of a joint. It's hard to explain, but once you experience trying to make it work with that radius there, you'll know what I'm talking about!
IMG_7370.png
Learning to weld aluminum is humbling. I ran beads on off cuts for a couple of evenings before starting on my frame. Well, I tried to run beads but ended up mostly making a bunch of gross splatter. Other than the fact that it uses electricity there doesn't seem to be much in common with welding steel. I tried every tip I could find online and ended up just figuring out my own way. The only tip that really helped me was pre heating the weld with a torch. But that ended up taking a ton of time so I only did that for these 1/4 reinforced spots.

Everyone online insists that the only way to weld aluminum with a spool gun is to push. Something about the extra need for shielding gas in front of the weld. Well, I only had good results with pulling! Go figure.

Since this is a wedge, there will be one side with a fixed hinge. I decided to use an interior plastic living hinge for waterproofing and 4 exterior stainless hinges for strength and support. You can't see it very well in the below photo, but there is a plastic hinge glued down with VHB foam tape between the lower and upper frame.

Skipping some steps, here is a mock up of how I'll trim out the top with the 3/4" angle
IMG_7603.png

OK, the frame is done. I wheeled my workbench over to the truck and had my wife and neighbor help my push it onto the truck. It fits perfect and is square, so no need to stress about that any more. I welded on some angle tabs to through bolt it to the truck and put in a piece of 3/4 ply with FRP glued to it in the front for the cabover bed. I'm skipping some things for expediency. Also pictured here is the first of the flip up hard panels, just framed in 1x1. The clamps are to hold it in place while the VHB for the plastic living hinge cure.
IMG_7763.png
IMG_7762.pngIMG_7764.png

OK that's all I got for now. Plans for the future are:
*Finish framing and hinges for the two other pop up walls (think I'll have them hinge up to the roof but not sure...)
*Cover the framing for side walls (thinking corrugated aluminum sign panels, but VERY open to suggestions for affordable water proof panels from you all!)
*Windows in at least one of those walls
*install roof rack (generic ladder rack off amazon)
*cover ply on roof with white rubber RV roof sealant
*reinstall solar and lithium battery
*install sound deadening and floor mat in cab
*finish blazer fuel tank install (75% of the way there)
*go surf

kylethompson

This is an absolutely awesome build! I love these old CUCVs. They make for such great adventure rigs!
Thanks! I agree. If it was built to drive in a combat zone, I figure it can get me through an arroyo or two. Plus where else are you going to find a 25,000 mile squarebody for cheap?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Man what an awesome build! I love some good ol crusty american rigs and I love being able to spot another born for adventure follower!

It's awesome you are just willing to fully commit on projects. last few times I've hit mex it has been to the touristy areas but I need me some camping and some long rights.

ExpoMike

Nice M1031 and cool build. Been slowly working on my M1010. Where are you located? I am assuming SoCal area. I am in San Diego. My build thread link in my signature. Keep the pics and info coming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94