Crusader - 2012 JK 2-Door Rubicon Call of Duty build

Goatdog

Hi. I have a 2004 expedition prepped 4Runner (see sig line) that I truly love but wanted to build an overland JK. I'm keeping the 4Runner, as it is everything I hoped it'd be. This JK may eventually replace it, but for now it will share the stable. I will not be getting too radical for now with the Rubi. My intended purpose with it is that it get me 505 miles from Yorktown VA (where I do contract work for the .gov) to outside Knoxville TN, should a catastrophic event take place. My kids and family are there and I intend to be with them if things get hairy. I have been a prepper my entire life, since way before it became a national rave, and the people who used to think I am weird are now asking me for advice. I'm a retired soldier and former SWAT cop, who has been contracting stateside and overseas (war zones) since 2003. I teach all the tactical subjects that normally come to mind; Weapons, Driving, CQB, etc. I specialize in a few others, survival being one of them. I have traversed the war zones, urban and austere, in soft-skin and fully armored vehicles...Land Cruisers, Hi-Lux's, HMMWV's, Suburbans, even a heavily modded F-350 with welded-on hillbilly armor. I've spent many nights sleeping in or around these vehicles and have grown fond of it. My 4Runner even has all rear seats removed and a bed built into it. It works well for that. The JK is a bit small to sleep in on a regular basis and I will be looking at various sleep options for it...not 100% sold on an RTT yet. Maybe a simple tent, maybe a decent off-road trailer.

I knew I wanted a Rubicon but like the MOAB bumpers and rock rails. I did not like that the MOAB didn't have all the Rubicon off-road mechanicals. I was going to order a 10th Anniversary Rubicon, but found a brand-new 2012 Call of Duty MW3 2-Door with exactly what I wanted, namely a six-speed manual, 430N, 4.10, painted fenders, and hardtop. The sticker was $41,700. I offered $35,000 and eventually it was accepted. We later added $300 to deliver it the 220 miles to Knoxville from Columbia TN. I took delivery on 23 March.

This is a long thread so I'll get to posting pics, but I have far more to decide and do on this build.

Crusader and templar2 050213.jpgRear 050213.jpgLF3 050213.jpg

Goatdog

ENGO 9000S Winch Install

The Mopar/AEV bumper is "winch capable". I use a winch when one is needed, but don't make it a habit to need one. I wanted the peace of mind of "just in case" but wanted to not spend $1200 on a warn. Overseas I've used brands I've never even heard of and even off-roading for work here, I see a variety. Still I did some research and found the Engo did very well in a winch shootout in a popular off-road mag. It was actually the only one working at the end. So I bought the Engo 9000S (synthetic rope) from Jeep Add-Ons for $379. The winch mount and fairlead mount were another $249 from AEV. I wanted a hidden solenoid, so I had to buy additional cabling to make things reach. It was my first winch install, took me about 15 hours over a couple days and worked the very first time i hit the button. I had my doubts, since I had completely disassembled the solenoid for the wiring changes. I have already tested it under load and am happy with my choice and work.Winch Solenoid rewired.jpgWinch Solenoid ready to install.jpgWinch Solenoid mounted on battery.jpgWinch mounted.jpgWinch cables to motor.jpgWinch front view.jpg

Goatdog

Interior MOLLE Panels

I eventually will be getting the Trek Armor seatcovers, but I will combine those with the steel MOLLE panels that I ordered from Ebay. This guy, Alan Beacom (al.bumpers@gmail.com) will customize, within reason, for your Jeep. For instance, he had never made front seatback panels for a JK. Thru a flurry of emails I sent measurements (headrest posts, seatback length, etc) to him and less than five days later I had both seatback posts, two wheel well panels, and the tailgate table delivered. They are very strong and fit perfectly. By default the panels come with "Wrangler" or "Rubicon" or "Jeep" cut into them, but he will cut whatever you wish that fits. I had "Crusader" done for mine. I painted some plastic pieces to fit behind the cutouts and painted them red so they would stand out.

I added some of the MOLLE bags and pouches I had laying around from 33 years of doing this stuff. The tailgate table got my combat trauma kit, and a couple survival pouches. Inside on the seatbacks I put a variety of pouches. I have filled a few but am working on a detailed load plan for the entire Jeep. The shotgun and AR15 you see in the pics are just test-fitted and not normally stored there, so car burglars will have to slink away disappointed.:REOutShootinghunter

My main bugout bag is centered, for now, between the seatbacks and my bailout bag is shown in the passenger well. Not shown is all the recovery gear, straps, snatch block, etc that fit very well into the storage under the rear carpet. I have a lot more to figure out and mount, but this gives me a good start. Obviously, I have removed the rear seat, but it still mounts right back in there with no removing of anything so far. Don't know if I'll ever need it, but its nice to have options.

Cargo Area 2.jpgCargo Area Molle Bagged 2.jpgCargo and Tailgate Molle Bagged.jpgCombat Load closeup.jpgCombat Load Tailgate Table.jpgCombat Load.jpgMolle Bags Passenger Side (2).jpgDrivers Side Molle Bagged.jpg

Goatdog

Little Mods

Exhaust Unpainted 2.jpg
The muffler was big and ugly

Exhaust Painted 2.jpg
I painted it with Hi-Temp paint

CODMW3 1.jpg
The COD MW3 Badge was nice, but chrome...I avoid chrome.

Finished COD Emblem.jpg
Plasti-Dip to the rescue. I've had stuff Plast-Dipped for three years on the 4Runner. It sticks and protects, yet comes off easily if you want it to. Should have bought stock in it a few years ago before it became so popular.

Finished Jeep Emblem.jpg
Same treatment for the "Jeep" emblem. Not shown are the Plasti-Dipped "Trail rated" emblem and antenna.

Grill after from inside.jpg
I did the gutter mesh grille mod.

Grill after outside.jpg
It turned out nice.

Goatdog

More Little Mods

Stickers.jpg
Rugged Ridge Hitch. Went on easy. Came with a wiring harness and was only $55 on Amazon. I have a hitch rack and will be building an off-road capable trailer in the future.

Surefire 6P Mounted.jpg
Surefire 6P mounted next to drivers seat with quickfist. I actually have good flashlights stashed all over the Jeep.

Guinness Bottle Opener.jpg
The Guinness bottle opener is sort of my signature mod. I have mounted at least one in the past 5 or 6 builds.

ScanGauge II matching blue.jpg
The Scangauge II. Have had one in the 4Runner for years. Can't live without it. Pays for itself in one code or in gallons saved. Excellent customer service from the folks at Linear Logic also.

Levogage Installed.jpg
Lev-O-Gage. Self-explanatory. Works just fine.

Bug Out and Combat Pelicans.jpg
My ready to deploy combat and bugout kits. The combat kit has body armor, tactical gear, fighting clothes, etc. The bugout kit has long-term survival items otherwise known as a Tier 3 Kit. The Tier 1 Kit is the PSK on my tailgate, the Tier 2 Kit is the black bugout bag between my seatbacks. Thgese Pelicans fit nicely into the JK rear with room to spare.

Attachments

• Rugged Ridge Hitch Mounted.jpg
    Rugged Ridge Hitch Mounted.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 72

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Really like the work you have done inside to make more and organized storage. Looking forward to hearing about the engo winch under use. Considered one of these last year when looking but came across a good deal on a used superwinch. Do you have other mods in mind for the jeep... armor, suspension, etc?

John

Goatdog

Really like the work you have done inside to make more and organized storage. Looking forward to hearing about the engo winch under use. Considered one of these last year when looking but came across a good deal on a used superwinch. Do you have other mods in mind for the jeep... armor, suspension, etc?

John

I do have further plans. The lift will be mild, a 2.5" from Teraflex or AEV but willing to solicit advise when it gets to be time. Spidertrax, as I like how they looked on my 4R. 33" is likely as big as I'll go in the tire dept. I have a Yakima rack but no idea what/how to mount it to the hardtop. I have a set of PIAA 540 driving lights and am looking at 510 pencil-beams for the lower windshield mounts. A dual battery setup is coming, as I have an Edgestar that I ran continously for 3 years and got spoiled by it. A skid plate for the evap canister is needed. I have a Yaesu FT2900R Ham that needs to be mounted and I'm trying to decide which CB setup to get. I only have one fuel can and one water can. I worked on my toolbag today but wish I could find a list of JK specific tools and supplies to follow. Anyway, thanks for looking!

Septu

Explorer
Does the scanguage actually work? Specifically things like tranny temp, avg mpg, instant mpg, etc? I've been waiting for more companies to come out with something that I can keep plugged in and use to monitor things (used to have an aero gauge on my 07 jk).

Goatdog

Does the scanguage actually work? Specifically things like tranny temp, avg mpg, instant mpg, etc? I've been waiting for more companies to come out with something that I can keep plugged in and use to monitor things (used to have an aero gauge on my 07 jk).

It did tranny temp on my 04 4Runner, i have a six-speed manual in my JK, so I don't know for JK's. Yes, all other functions work very well. It pays for itself in gas mileage if you pay attention to it. I also used it to daignose and fix any codes that showed up on my 4R. Well worth it. The display colors can be modified to fit your preferences.

Goatdog

PIAA's, Tailgate Grill, and Spiderweb Shade

PIAA's installed 051513.jpg
Put the 540's on the front bumper with the AEV light brackets

Tailgate Grill Setup.jpg
Tailgating setup for NFL season

J-Kini.jpg
Red Spiderweb Shades J-Kini

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member