Cruise Moab 06. Who's going? What are you running?

blupaddler

Conspirator
I am thinking about it...Gotta check on time off.

Also, do you think White Rim can be done in one day? Comfortably that is.

:D

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Any chance you want to set up something semi-informally for approximately those dates? I'd be very willing/love to help if needed.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
blupaddler said:
Also, do you think White Rim can be done in one day? Comfortably that is.

You can do it, but it's a whole day affair and ya gotta start and get permits early. The problem is getting booked in the campgrounds on the trail, they book early and book often.

I will say it's much more enjoyable making it a 2-day trip, even if you camp on the trail right next to the national park border, there's so much to see from the old fort, to the confluence, to the many side canyonds that run about. Not to mention it's a non-trivially long drive from Moab out to the park office to get the permits, then back out of the park to start the trail.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Signed up for the trails below - staying at Spanish trails campground Wed-Sat I like to be in the thick of it - fun to talk with all the LC owners and place the names with the faces - If you have never been to the Rising Sun Moab event you are truly missing something. We will be riding in the 80 - taking the week before to cruise up the back way with the Norcal 80's group.

One cool thing about the Elephant hill run is you get to see the White rim and the confluence of the two rivers - and some great slot canyon hiking - very cool indeed

Thursday1: Kane Creek Canyon
Thursday2: Behind the Rocks
Thursday3: Moab Rim

Friday1: Behind the Rocks
Friday2: Moab Rim
Friday3: Metal Masher

Saturday1: Poison Spider Mesa
Saturday2: Hells Revenge
Saturday3: Metal Masher

kcowyo

ExPo Original
blupaddler said:
.... do you think White Rim can be done in one day? Comfortably that is.

Darren did it in his 4Runner

- so it can be done, but it took me two days and I wish I had allowed for three. I think Darren would tell you that he wishes he'd had more time. The first 2 miles took me 2 hours. Not because it's a hard trail, but you just can't stop gawking and taking pics!

Darren

Adventurer
Two to three days would be perfect, though ten would be awesome! It took me literally from sunrise to sunset when I ran it, which was fine. Still very enjoyable, but you have to keep pace to see it all under daylight.

Uh, where's your report already, K.C.?!

pskhaat said:
You can do it, but it's a whole day affair and ya gotta start and get permits early.

You don't need permits if you aren't going to camp.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Yeah, I'll echo what's been said in here previously. The camping spots are the things that really determine how much you'll see in a given day. The better spots are hard with reservations well in advance. 2-3 days would probably be a good way to see it by rig I'd assume. When we biked it last spring, we did it in 3 days. 115 miles if you do the full loop from the visitor's center and put in the miles on the road. There are people that bike the whole thing in a day, which is pretty sick.

bh4rnnr

Adventurer
I'll be there, so you guys will have to put up with me:) . Will be out the whole week. Always fun to check out the hotrod show:jumping: . Might be staying in condo this year with a few fellow members. Looking forward to riding along and being the photographer for the event this year:) See you all out there.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
There is an outside chance I might make it. May is pretty open for me right now.

Let's go to Moab on another W/E from Cruise Moab? ;)

Take our time....small group....bring the 100 again (unless the LX doesn't vibrate :D )

lowenbrau

Explorer
If you've never been there and you are looking for some expedition type terrain, I really enjoyed Elephant hill. I'd love to go back and do a multiday trail run sometime, maybe beginning or ending with Cruise Moab.

alia176

Explorer
pskhaat said:
Okay, we may be going (will take 2 days to get up there with the fam), but only on a Renegade basis. Question for everyone:

Would anyone like to do a non-sactioned trail? I know the area like the back of my hand I'd be happy to lead/participate. Options (more expedition-like than CM) are:

Longer Ones (full day+)
1. White Rim
2. Lockhardt Basic
3. The Green River Bottom
4. Dark Canyon

Short Fun Ones (1/2 - 3/4 day)
5. Sand Dunes
6. Gemini Bridges (Lower)
7. Happy Canyon (one of my favorites, very unknown)

Scott,

I'll be able to go to Moab for about two days before I need to head home! As always, I'd like to go on a trail that I've never been on. The plan is mark off every single trail in Charles Wells' book before I depart this planet :D

White Rim sounds like a great run. Can we run it w/o making reservations for the campground? If not, I'd like to consider it for Thursday and Friday and then head home on Saturday.

I hate to only spend two days in Moab but I need to fly out of Chicago on the following monday for New York for work! :mad:

Anyway, I'll keep checking this thread.

Cheers,

Ali

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior