Crossoverlanding Adventures - Death Valley, Hunter Mountains, and Saline Valley

LionZoo

Observer
Very cool, Subaru should us your photos for an advertisement. Beautiful pictures and write up!

We actually discussed that. We figured Subaru would either use our pictures for advertising or void our warranties. :D

Ironically, Subaru of North America has an office a floor above my office.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
There is a compressor at the Furnace Creek gas station , pretty quick one too. Bring your quarters...
Thanks!
Will put it in our notes.
I know this is sort of a hijack but if you're going to DVNP you might want to invest in a decent air compressor. I don't know about you but I don't like driving faster than about 30 - 40 mph on pavement when my tires are aired down because I don't want them to overheat. Now consider that the distance from Ubhebe Crater road to Furnace Creek is 52 miles, all paved, that's a LONG way to go with your tires aired down.
Even if it's just an inexpensive Harbor Freight compressor like this one, I would recommend carrying your own compressor.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks for the great writeup. We camped near the same spot as you near the Lost Burro mine in 2011 for DE-1. That was in late March and it was COLD, about 28 degrees and the wind was howling. I now wish we'd have gone over Hunter Mountain road instead of going back over that awful washboard to Ubehebe.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
LZ great share thanks! Fun read. Hey about your sleeping pad thing. I spotted a kid this summer in an old OB he was using a low profile backpacking cot in the back of the car. I thought it looked like an interesting idea. Gives you just enough height off the floor to level things out but keeps you low enough to still have head room. Worth a look. I did a double take when I saw his set up. Looked like a good idea.
We sleep on Nemo Cosmo insulated air pads. Never had a cold night even when temps drop I. The 20's. Works great in my e series Ford van.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

LionZoo

Observer
Thanks for the great writeup. We camped near the same spot as you near the Lost Burro mine in 2011 for DE-1. That was in late March and it was COLD, about 28 degrees and the wind was howling. I now wish we'd have gone over Hunter Mountain road instead of going back over that awful washboard to Ubehebe.

That washboard was the worst part of that trip. I wish we had time to check out Lost Burro mine though. Next time I guess.

And yes, an air pad is on my shopping list. I don't think the sleeping platform will become a reality for awhile yet. So many things to do for the Forester...

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Thanks for the report! Looks like you hit a lot of the biggies in DV. I'm trying to head out there in April, so the detail you provided was really helpful.

netllama

Observer
That washboard was the worst part of that trip. I wish we had time to check out Lost Burro mine though. Next time I guess.

If you thought the road out to the Racetrack was bad, never go to the Eureka Dunes. Absolutely the worst washboarding I've ever driven on anywhere in North America. 12 miles of torture.

NAD

Thank you for this thread, great pictures. I'm planning on heading to the Racetrack this weekend, and really really really don't want to go on that long washboard road again, hence my searching around for recent Hunter Mountain adventures. :)

The wife and I have a JK now, but we did our fair share of exploring Death Valley in a WRX some years back. I adore my Jeep, but still miss my Subaru.

netllama

Observer
Its absolutely doable in a Subaru. I've been up there with my Outback. People drive up there in BMW's, and all sorts of other ridiculous vehicles.

LionZoo

Observer
We didn't go to the hot springs (I still haven't been even though I'm now in a GX 460), but I'm 100% confident the Forester can make it there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles