Cross country trip rifle?

dusmw

Don’t travel or spend your money in NY, NJ, IL, HI, or CA, these states don’t care about your 2A rights.

There are a lot of states with great places to visit many with no traffic and great people and scenery. In the Midwest carry a gun or don’t, nobody gets worked up, concealed or open carry.

By the way, quit hijacking quality threads!

Modeler

W1DCS
Don’t travel or spend your money in NY, NJ, IL, HI, or CA, these states don’t care about your 2A rights.

There are a lot of states with great places to visit many with no traffic and great people and scenery. In the Midwest carry a gun or don’t, nobody gets worked up, concealed or open carry.

MA is another to avoid.

Dalko43

Explorer

Well your post is a good example of why these types of threads get derailed; it's full of misinformation:

A) It's ignorant on your part to suggest that you shouldn't visit certain states simply because of gun laws. A lot of states, to include NY, offer some very spectacular sights and places to visit, regardless of the legislative BS that may or may not exist. Same applies for Canada. If you're the type of person who is going to limit your travels based on where you can't bring a firearm, well I feel sorry for you because you're missing out. Also, if you stick to long guns (bolt-action, lever-action) or pump-action shotguns, you can bring firearms into pretty much any part of North America (providing that you fill out the proper paperwork). So it's a moot point.

B) There are a lot of people living in NY who actually do care about 2a rights, and in fact they're actively engaged in lawsuits to defend those rights....so maybe don't be so eager to broadstroke entire states, though I can't speak for the firearm communities in places like CA and HI.

C) Different states have different rules with regards to handguns and CCW. You should research a state's regulations before you presume its okay to bring in a CCW handgun. Don't just assume that all midwestern states are okay with you bringing in a CCW handgun...that's a good way to land in jail.

Bravo30

I’m pro gun and never leave home without something. What’s all the fuss about though? Bring what you like. Don’t speed, don’t text and drive and please use your turn signals.

I carry a Marlin 45-70 SBL and Ruger Alaskan .454 when I travel. And maybe a baby Glock 9mm for the rest areas. Whatever you are comfortable with. Bring it.

thats exactly what we did. Last year we took a 3 month road trip that covered roughly 20,000 miles. We avoided the left coast and Illinois altogether. before we left i ordered a current edition of ''Travelers guides to the firearms laws of the fifty states'' money well spent!! we also downloaded a few firearms law apps to cross reference with.

we ending up bringing

fn-fal
Yugo under folder
3 Glocks (10mm, G17, G19)
S&W .357
Bersa Thunder
Yugo M48 8mm
Keltec Sub2000 9mm (for when we took the mini bikes out in the s

Bravo30

a great resource for traveling with a firearm is the ''Travelers guide to the firearms laws of the fifty states''. just make sure you get a current issue.

NudeLobster

I keep a handgun on the nightstand when in a hotel (in the states of course). In Canada, my 45-70 or 12 gauge are most definitely up to the task. Probably better in a lot of ways than my AR (which I can't bring into Canada). And my 44 Mag carbine will hold a respectable number of rounds.

Now if I had an AR-10 firing 308 rounds... that would be sweet. Kinda the best of both worlds (big round and large capacity).

I'm trying to picture how I would fire a rifle while driving my Jeep - don't see how I could do it.

Carbine from the driver seat:

robert

Expedition Leader
The Jeep's design with the windshield location is pretty much going to preclude using a rifle inside of it unless it's really short. That or you're going to have to fire the first round then shove the muzzle out of the hole (generally preferable anyways). From the little bit of training I've had, if the driver is having to shoot then things have gone really badly; the driver's primary job is to drive, not shoot. Learn to use the vehicle.

That said, here's Kyle Lamb talking about it. Note his emphasis on safety equipment then watch the video and note the glass fragments, especially in the slow motion section.
This is a skill that definitely needs to be practiced if you think you may ever need it but it's expensive and hard to organize. Wear hearing protection (double is better or at least roll down the other windows if possible, and wear wrap around safety glasses- glass dust goes everywhere. As he mentions, a long sleeve shirt is a good idea and a particulate mask is another good idea. Realize that in the event you ever fire through a windshield in a bad situation that there is the possibility of getting glass dust in your eyes which could be a game changer. Get off the X.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Do you have a pistol with a brace? My SP1 Colt will fit in this no problem.

No one would suspect it that doesnt know what it is. You're just going to play ao.e tennis is all

Tentswhich

You will need a light rifle for this. And you won't have too many options for modifications to the rifle. Usually, when I know that I will have a cross-country hunting trip, I take my slightest rifle with the night vision scope. You never know what can happen at night, so that this modification can save you many nerves. Also hunting at night is very fun. I am using a scope with active illumination technology. It helps provide a clear and active night vision even in conditions with deficient lighting situations. Just try it, you won't regret it.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
if the driver is having to shoot then things have gone really badly; the driver's primary job is to drive, not shoot. Learn to use the vehicle.

Well put! Massive amount of repetitive/technical skill development/scenario based/problem solving training with first option of anticipating it and getting out of "box". Cheers.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I sometimes have to travel thru. NY, NJ, IL, HI, or CA,...but I do whatever I can to not spend a penny in the state to include filling up the gas cans in a different state. I will spend an extra few hours to avoid driving thru any of those states unless I absolutely have to. If I find myself traveling thru those states, and need to carry or have a long gun at my final destination, I will usually opt for a lever action in the appropriate caliber for whatever I am doing. Sometimes I'll take a shotgun since the different load options make it versatile. If I have to have a pistol I'll just take one of the single actions. I usually have some kind of semi auto in the truck and really don't pay too much attention to where I go etc.

But, I do when I am anywhere near those states and a few others. NY especially has a reputation of arrest first and figure out if they want to convict later, remember, just because the DA's are not generally prosecuting the laws, that does nothing to stop an arrest. Firearms arrests in NY are like catching a burgler in the act for the rest of the country...lol

Lever action rifles, Pump action shotguns and single action pistols, are pretty much ok almost everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles