Cross Country Skiing?

7wt

Expedition Leader
It's getting a little late in the season to consider this but I wouldn't mind trying next year. Anyone have any advice or suggestions in how to get into this heart popping sport? This winter I saw plenty of tracks shooting off into the woods off my favorite snow covered dirt roads. It looks like a great way of shedding a little weight and seeing the country side.

mcgovski

Adventurer
Its about as simple as you described. Get yourself some fish scale touring skis and some boots and poles and you are ready to go. The technique is everything, but you will quickly figure it out. It is a great workout and a great mode of transport to get off the beaten path.

have fun
oh, its not too late, there will be snow for a while...and in the high country even longer

Chris

7wt

Expedition Leader
What kind of outlay am I looking at? Can a decent beginner set up be had in the $500 range?

Desert Dan

Explorer
I'm not sure wher eyou live.

Rent a set and try a groomed trails/track first and then hit untracked roads and meadows before hills etc.

Maybe take some lessons too.

haven

Expedition Leader
I suggest renting equipment from a sporting goods store before buying. Some stores will apply part of the rental toward the purchase of new. Shops that rent cross country skis and boots sell their inventory for pennies at the end of the season.

There are skis for prepared tracks, for breaking your own trail (a little wider and longer so you float better in new snow), and for backcountry where you'll be skiing fast downhill (better edges for turns). The slightly wider models are best to start with.

Even if you know how to ski alpine style, take a lesson to get the basics of cross country down before you set out on your own.

You work up a sweat while skiing, so the clothes you wear are surprisingly light. But when you stop, or if the weather changes, you can get chilled very fast. Be sure to take along a jacket, food and drink, and a space blanket (one of those lightweight mylar emergency ground covers) when you travel away from the ski area.

Most cross country skis today have a pattern embossed in the area under the foot (the fish scales mentioned above) that provides traction when you press down and push yourself forward. Some skis depend on properly applied wax to stick when weighted, yet glide when unweighted. Differences of only a few degrees in the temperature of the snow require a different wax scheme. A well-waxed ski is magic!

7wt

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys, all good advice. I live in Connecticut with some decent state parks that seem ripe for crashing through the woods with nary a clue of what I am doing. I figured once I got in shape I could make the trip to VT where is really snows.

Bugspray

Adventurer
I've seen some decent setups at the local thrift store for around $20--$30 bucks. Not the fanciest gear, pretty basic. But if you just want to go out and poke around I'm sure it would be more than sufficient. Go out to a state park or golf course they are great places to learn.....dont forget to wear a camelback or bring water with you. Enjoy!

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I would get the best, most comfortable boots possible and then get bindings to match those boots. Then find a ski that is sized right and flexes enough for you to get grip when you kick for your stride. The skis don’t need to be top of the line. Fisher Outabounds, Alpina and Karhu Guides/10th Mt. all make a good ski for trails and bush whacking around parks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier