Cross Country In a Jeep... Sore back will certainly follow!

Judoka

Learning To Live
DSCF6027.jpg
It all started because my diesel had started to have some basic mechanical issues; not the least of which was that my expensive off road tires seemed to be picking up a lot of screws lately, and replacing 6 tires to the tune of $350.00 each was just not in the budget at that time! Add a brake job, new rotors, transmission service, differential service, and a new PMD for the Injector Pump, and I was looking at walking to work! Of course most of these things are just items which require normal maintenance and replacement, but the timing of this was less than convenient.

Last edited:

Judoka

Learning To Live
Fortunately, I was very blessed with fantastic family! I spoke with my dad about the situation and to my surprise he asked me if I wanted his Jeep. Just being awakened so early by his phone call, still nestled under the covers, I thanked him and declined the offer. Then…It hit me like a freight train! “What? Did he just offer me the Jeep? I said…no? …Get up man”! I called him back and apologized for misunderstanding him, and told him I would love to take that pretty red Jeep off of his hands.
So, grinning ear to ear I got up and began my search for a flight out to the East Coast for the following week. My adventure had begun!
Those four days waiting for the plane to depart seemed like months. I was so excited about getting my new toy that I could hardly contain myself. I spent countless hours planning different routes back cross country to Arizona. I was able to schedule time off from work and I was not going to waste the chance to explore and experience new things as I made my way westbound more than 2300 miles. So, armed with ambition and several exciting new destinations in mind I rolled out the door at 4:00am heading to the airport with my pack full of gear and dark circles under my eyes.

Judoka

Learning To Live
After arriving at my dad's and spending a couple of days enjoying his hospitality I set out for my first destination about 300 miles away near Chattanooga Tennessee. I spent several days catching up with family and taking in the beautiful East Tennessee Spring scenery. There are many lakes and beautiful rivers in the area, and as I was enjoying them with my family I realized that I had not brought one of my most important pieces of equipment…my camera! So, it is not until the mighty Mississippi River that I get a picture that is not taken from my crappy cell phone. (I will spare your eyes the agony of squinting just to see something.)

Judoka

Learning To Live
It amazes me how after more than 300 years barges are still being used to transport equipment and other goods up and down the Mississippi and many other major rivers.
DSCF5492.jpg
It amazes me how after more than 300 years barges are still being used to transport equipment and other goods up and down the Mississippi and many other major rivers.

Judoka

Learning To Live
Since I did not have long before I would need to return to work I decided to press on across Arkansas and Oklahoma. My plan was to camp out in Western Oklahoma at Black Kettle National Grassland, but as I came through Oklahoma City I heard warning of severe weather, and the last thing I wanted to do was to sleep on the ground in the middle of Tornado Alley with severe weather predicted. By the time I reached Clinton OK the wind was so strong that it was a challenge to stay in one lane. I passed the area where I intended to camp and pressed on even though I was very tired. I figured that mu best bet would be to push on through the storm system and once on the other side I would find a place to camp. As I pulled into Amarillo the sky was looking very ominous and the wind was insane, so after a stop for fuel and coffee I was out of there pressing on to New Mexico.
This storm system is the same system that spawned tornados in Dallas!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTjR91JC850

After a very long day of driving in less than perfect weather I was just exhausted. So I pulled into a truck stop in Santa Rosa New Mexico for fuel and a nice nap about 11:00pm. Here, along the Mother Road, Route 66 I planned to rest up, and then turn south toward Carrizozo and then west Up into the mountains toward Magdalena where I would camp at one of my favorite sites. But as I was fueling up I felt a chilly wind and caught the scent of snow in the air! I was exhausted so I just laid the seat back a bit and passed out right in the parking lot.
Santa Rosa is one of those gems of the Southwest that is not inundated with tourists, yet it is one of the most beautiful geographical treasures in the country. Check out the link and see why!
http://www.srnm.org/
After about 2 hours I started to get pretty cold and I woke up. Sure enough, the snow was coming down. Thinking about safety and considering time constraints, I decided not to take secondary roads and continued west on I-40 toward Albq. I figured I could just take I-25 south from there. The weather report said snow heavy at times, so I figured it would be fine to head into the mountains by daylight. “Heavy at times” apparently can mean BLIZZARD!
Still dark outside, I set westward once again. About 20 minutes on the road the interstate was starting to get covered by this blowing snow which was falling down pretty good. By the time I hit Moriarty NM it was a white out! One thing about a Jeep is that although they go right through snow quite easily, the flat grill and basically flat glass will accumulate snow really fast! This means no lights and poor visibility within minutes in heavy snowfall. (Also, in heavy snow it can accumulate on the radiator hindering airflow , causing the vehicle to overheat.) So now I am driving through the Sandia Mountains east of Albq. NM in the dark in a white out, and no exit to pull off of the hwy! Years of living in Colorado teach you how to deal with this. (Slow and shut off your lights briefly so you can tell if anyone is directly behind you. Pull off the hwy and quickly clear the lights and flip the wipers. Then jump back in the seat and get up to 20mph and maintain until safe to exit or better visibility.)
Once I descended the Sandia Mountains into Albuquerque the snow was gone. After seeing just how hard it snowed in the mountains I was not going to even attempt to go to Magdalena. I decided to just super-slab it til morning. Again…plans change as the situation changes! Snowfall was not nearly as heavy west of Albq. Fuel up, and away we go!

Judoka

Learning To Live
DSCF6070.jpg
I have always wondered what Malpais National Monument was! Although I had not considered this as a point of interest for this trip I had hoped to check it out sometime when I was exploring the Plains of San Agustin. This place was simply awesome! It is not just another pretty landscape. Volcanic activity has transformed this section of the Colorado Plateau into a geologic wonderland! There are lava flows, with lava “waterfalls”, cinder cones, caves, shield volcanoes and even a natural arch! I think that the monument is a must see for anyone who loves nature! I will be returning very soon!

http://www.nps.gov/elma/index.htm
DSCF6071.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF6071.jpg
    DSCF6071.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Judoka

Learning To Live
In Arizona I detoured from US Hwy 60 to US hwy 260 just to the south so I could climb into the White Mountains. From a ridge at about 9000' I was able to look out over the landscape I had just come from.

DSCF6073.jpg

If you look in the distance you can see the volcanic craters and the lava flows! (click picture to enlarge)
DSCF6074.jpg

Judoka

Learning To Live
Salt River Canyon

Closer to home just outside of Show Low Arizona, the Salt River has eroded though solid rock for millennia.
DSCF6077.jpg
She carved out this beautiful panorama.
DSCF6079.jpg
Salt River Canyon Arizona
DSCF5633.jpg
Beauty is in the details
DSCF5634.jpg

Judoka

Learning To Live
ARIZONA

I have a Jeep…Right? Being this close to home now I know many of the most scenic back roads.
DSCF6076.jpg

Arizona is a place of incredible beauty.
DSCF5588.jpg
DSCF5587.jpg
you are not careful though, she will hurt you! Often in the most beautiful places there is danger.

DSCF6087.jpg
I shot this picture from about 4 feet away. If you dont know, that is the Gila Monster! This guy is abour 18 inches long.
DSCF6051.jpg
DSCF6046.jpg
Welcome to the desert.

DSCF6041.jpg

Judoka

Learning To Live
Thanks for coming along! Hope the pictures can give a small sense of what I saw with my own eyes.

hikingff77

Adventurer
I love how it's a plain jeep, the way it was intended. As much as I love the built jeeps, it's nice to see one like I had do a fun trip.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Must be nice to get a free Jeep! Great pictures!

How long did it take you to do the drive? 3 days or so?

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Tsk, tsk. It had been that long since you visited the parents that they thought to bribe you with a free Jeep to get you to come visit? :Wow1:
Whatever works, I guess. ;)

Anyway, sounds and looks like a neat trip. Thanks for the share! That truly is beautiful country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles