Cross country expedition. Need input - CA, AZ, NV, TX, NM

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Hey guys, some of you have seen my trucks on here, I've currently got two montero's; a 95 SR on 35's and a 97 sport, solid axle swap project on 37's.

I've decided to buy another one. Last year I flew out to San Fransisco and bought a 73 Mitsubishi Galant wagon, then drove it back to michigan.

This Feb I'm going to fly out to LA and pick up a 95 SR that I put a deposit on. The plan is to pick it up, drive it the southern route across america, then straight north out of texas. Can anyone give me input on some places to wheel, camp, etc in the south west?

The montero I'm picking up seems to be in better shape, is the color I want (white) and has lower miles than my current one. I'm not sure if I want to replace my current one or give up on my 97 sport project, I had never driven an SR when I started the sport project and thus far an SR has provided everything I want on and off road, 3.5 liter quad cam, AWD and 4x4, locking rear diff, can fit 35's without fuss. I'm leaning towards scrapping the solid axle project, putting the 37's and a body lift on the white one and just keeping the SR's around. I have never been more happy with a mitsubishi than I have been with my SR and I've owned a crap ton of cars with diamond stars on the front.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
pics of the rigs if you've never seen them:

front bumper corners trimmed, torsion bars cranked, hella 7in lights, roof basket, 35's on 15x10's, otherwise stock

16091_10152324992020508_1454856901_n.jpg

high pinion dana 44 front, jeep xj 3in lift coils, ruff stuff coil perches and link brackets, ballistic fab joints, 3 link up front, chevy 1 ton steering parts, stock leafs with added xj leaf in the pack over a ford 9 inch, jeep NP231 t-case, dodge 17in ram truck wheels, 37 inch tires.
34493_10150208616980508_6514888_n.jpg

zukrider

Explorer
where do you live? what town? that will help with logistics. also, are you good with zig zgging, or is efficiency in route a must? fuel economy!

will be fun no matter how you go. i tend to want to incorporate National Parks for hiking. wheeling, i shoot for the scenic must haves! cant argue with the rubicon, though it is VERY out of the way. wish i could join you!

zukrider

Explorer
here is my 5 minute attempt!

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...=montrose&t=h&mra=dpe&mrsp=8&sz=7&via=2,8&z=9

View on Google Maps

being february, expect snow. but your good with the montero. wheeling is doable, but id do it with others. if you look deeper into the map, after RMNP, the town of Longmont has some stellar trails that are great with snow on them. i can probably put together a run if you would like to do some wheeling! just let me know. otherwise, these are all stops with driving tourist in mind. all the national parks should get at least a minor hike in them! from Moab into durango, then montrose, then gunnison is epic CO scenery. the map tried to default you up to I70 from montrose as a "faster" route, but i feel this route is far better in the eye!

east of denver, i have no help for suggestions im afraid. a great CO trail resource is www.traildamage.com all the trails are rated and organized very well. in my stock no locker SR with 33/10.50 KM2's, i did wheeler lake. just for a rating for instance!

zukrider

Explorer
i understand the try to be warm part, but ive done 2/3 of that route, and damn if it isnt boring and flat! only memorable part i could say is the big *** steak in Amarillo. which ever way you go, try to make it fun! maybe cross reference your chosen route with the Diners, Drive ins, and Dives database. stop at some killer food spots!

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
i understand the try to be warm part, but ive done 2/3 of that route, and damn if it isnt boring and flat! only memorable part i could say is the big *** steak in Amarillo. which ever way you go, try to make it fun! maybe cross reference your chosen route with the Diners, Drive ins, and Dives database. stop at some killer food spots!

I'm going to see what I can do to incorporate some of your route with the one i had drawn up, I've driven that south route 3 or 4 times now, you're not joking, boring and FLAT, reminds me of playing video games from the 90's, there's some scenery off in the distance but you never seem to reach it!

zukrider

Explorer
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA! perfect description. i have driven from Raliegh, NC to denver the southern route. Blah!

when i bought my montero, i flew to San Antonio and drove back. made a stop in Albequerque to see my son, and then went out of my way to take the exact Durango to Montrose to Gunnison part of that map. I had never been to that corner of CO and wanted to see it. 3 blizzards on a different mountain pass each, was an Awesome trip! you wont be let down!

the way winters have been around here lately, there may not be much snow, so wheeling could be an option. Engineer pass, as well as Imogene pass are great i hear. i wouldnt do Black Bear Pass if i were you. not alone, and not in winter.

man, i feel like im living vicariously through you!

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA! perfect description. i have driven from Raliegh, NC to denver the southern route. Blah!

when i bought my montero, i flew to San Antonio and drove back. made a stop in Albequerque to see my son, and then went out of my way to take the exact Durango to Montrose to Gunnison part of that map. I had never been to that corner of CO and wanted to see it. 3 blizzards on a different mountain pass each, was an Awesome trip! you wont be let down!

the way winters have been around here lately, there may not be much snow, so wheeling could be an option. Engineer pass, as well as Imogene pass are great i hear. i wouldnt do Black Bear Pass if i were you. not alone, and not in winter.

man, i feel like im living vicariously through you!

i feel like this year will be much more comfortable since last year I drove this from San Fransisco to here:

557972_10151965282345508_2137303564_n.jpg

But I definitely want to camp, I'm going to work on the route this week, thanks for the links! There's a ton of stuff listed on trail damage.

timtastik

I hope it is okay if I jump in here too, as I will be making a similar trek on Feb 17th 2014 (one week from today).

A little back ground...

Conducting a bit of a social experiment, I've decided to completely start my personal and professional life over and head back across the US to a new city, Atlanta, where I have a 1-2 year project to complete. I've just sold everything I own (including my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee) leaving me with less than 150 possessions to my name and only $300 in my pocket. Doing a lot of research around the adventures I have planned over the next 2 years, I could not resist the 95 Montero SR "Owens Edition" for $3k and am now just a week from working my way (literally not figuratively) across the the US, from West (LA) to East (GA).

I have two sets of questions around my journey 1.) my new vehicle purchase (reliability -tips/tricks) and 2.) my route (which is nearly identical to RaterX (above) and close in timing.

1.) I've done my due diligence; checking hoses, belts, fluids, breaks, tires, seals etc. and I am in relatively good shape, (tires not good for snow, hence the southern route) albeit this is a used SUV with 147k on it and no owner history.

Question: What are some of the things I should be aware of with such a new/old purchase and with making such a long drive, that is unique to the 1995 Montero?

2.) I will be heading to Denver to work for a month and then off to Kansas City (my home town), visit Mom in Iowa, and finally landing in Atlanta sometime mid April. I will be taking 2-4 days to get to CO using 40 East to 25 north, stopping in Flagstaff and possibly Albuquerque. I took both the north and south route less than six moths ago on a month long trip, and zig-zagged through Durango and Farmington some 5 years back when I moved from DC to LA.

Question: Leaving from Los Angeles, is this the best route when concerned with both, safety and funds, and... are there any hidden photo ops, trails, camping or other sites or things to plan for that I may have missed when searching online?

Thanks for your patience on my first post ~ I have big plans for the Montero and look forward to sharing the transformation process and hitting some good trails out south.

mapper

Explorer
Both of you might try to look at some lesser traveled, though less direct routes through S. Utah. You can connect from Vegas through Zion NP then head north passing Bryce Canyon NP, Capitol Reef NP, Henry Mts and San Rafael Swell to the North. Endless backcountry roads and camping options. From there you'll be near hwy 95 in Hanksville, for gas, and can head north and jump on I70 heading into Grand Junction (Burgers at Ray's in Green River) or go south toward/through Canyonlands NP, Natural Bridges, Grand Gulch and 4 corners area and head in toward Durango. Detour to Moab area and hit up Telluride on the way to Durango if you haven't already blown your whole schedule!! Moab is an easy detour and I highly recommend camping at Fischer Tower on the way back to I70.

Alternatively you cut through the AZ strip/Vermillion Cliffs like you are looking at then head South of Lake Powell into the Navajo Nation and bump north to catch up the Southern route I mentioned above. Just be aware that the road to the Grand Canyon North Rim from Jacobs Lake is closed at this time of year ALSO, very important, Hwy 89 is closed indefinitely south of Page, AZ due to a large landslide. If you want to travel West to East from Kanab/Fredonia you'll have to Use 89A to connect with Hwy 160 near Tuba City, AZ OR....better yet for some off pavement time take 89 East out of Kanab, UT and connect wtih Cottonwood Canyon road (should be dry but call Grand Staircase/Escalante rangers to confirm). Cottonwood Canyon will connect with HWY 12 and from there you can take the Burr Trail through Capitol Reef and connect up with HWY 95, gas up in Hanksville and head east as suggested above.

All these roads, if dry, can be done in loaded VW hippy camper van so the Montero will do fine. Muddy can cause LOTS of problems for any truck. Of course you'll be somewhat remote on the Cottonwood Canyon road and Burr Trail so if you have concerns about the reliability of the truck you may want to skip those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles