Crock Pot???

coronan

Is anyone useing a crockpot; either 12v or 110?

I would like to plan a dual battery setup around this. The application is to be out skiing and come back to a hot lunch or dinner.

How much battery do you have? How long can the crock pot cook for?

Would a 12V unit avoid inefficencies of an inverter?

Any recomendations?

Thanks!

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Is anyone using a crockpot; either 12v or 110?

I don't but brother-in-law uses 120 volt one in his Motor Home.

I would like to plan a dual battery setup around this. The application is to be out skiing and come back to a hot lunch or dinner.

How much battery do you have? How long can the crock pot cook for?

Assume 150 watt draw for 4 hours.... Watts = Volts X Amps... 150 watt draw at 12 volts = 12.5 amps per hour... 4 hour running = 60 amp hours.... would need a Deep cycle or AGM 120 amp hour battery full charged. (read up on 50% battery discharge rule and Peukert effect)

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I've had friends who do this - but they do the actual cooking while driving and then put it in a well insulated enclosure (like a foam box) and its still hot when they come back from hiking/snowshoeing etc. Most of the energy consumption is while cooking - so that comes from the engine not the battery this way.

bansil

Adventurer
We use a small one while driving (on an old 350w invertor) so the cheese,sausage and salsa dip is hott and ready when we get werever; and if you plan your driving you can get most cooking done while driving.

example you can cook two 5 lb chickens in the rotiseeri between winston salem and Arrowhead camp ground :sombrero:

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
I also recommend a Thermal Cooker. I posted a link to my blog, there is a post about cooking with a thermal cooker. It really is a great way to cook, you bring the contents of your meal to a rigorous boil in the inner pot and then place the inner pot into the outer pot and let cook.... no additional heat / power source needed. It is safe, consumes little energy and makes great meals!
-AK.
http://www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com/2012/01/cooking-on-deadwood-stove-and-thermal.html

Pabloa3

AK - your blog and travels are cool. I've been sitting here reading through it - very interesting. thanks.

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz