Croc Hunter '92 MJ

Gaucho919

Adventurer
It's gonna be a while before my tires roll on Ocala soil again, it really is beautiful country if you slow down and see all the wildlife and springs etc.

Well I found a Warn M8000 FINALLY after months of waiting for a good deal. Got it without winchline/fairlead for one bill, not bad considering all it needs is drum bushings, and some paint/grease. Here it is all taken apart. I'm planning on Viking 3/8" winchline and delrin rollers for the ARB.

DSC_0128.jpg

So I pulled the ARB bullbar off to build some brackets that go deeper down the frame and since the bumper would be off for a couple weeks until the winch parts and line came in I had to put something in it's place. I pieced together a factory bumper set-up from some parts cherokees I got. It ended up surprising me quite a bit how good and sturdy it looked and was. I added some factory tow hook brackets and moved the aux lights over to it, I really like it.

DSC_0124.jpg

Also when I installed the aux fuel tank I had to cut off the exhaust right at the rear axle in order to fit the tank, I finally got around to rerouting it through a really tight curvy fit. You can see it in the pic going by a shock, over a spring, under a frame, etc. etc. The exhaust tip is a piece of an old driveshaft, I love recycling.

DSC_0126.jpg

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Well I am proud to say that the Comanche is now overland ready as far as I'm concerned. Now it is time to start saving for a trip, hopefully to my native lands in Argentina.
I just finished the winch install, a used Warn M8000 rebuilt my me sporting Viking Offroad 3/8" x 80' winchline. Some things I'll be adding in the near future are an awning and solar panels. Any suggestions on additional modifications would be greatly appreciated.

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0138.jpg
    DSC_0138.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 63

Gaucho919

Adventurer
I love the soft topper.

I just noticed your comment MCObray, skipped right over it. Thanks, the softopper actually is really nice and useful. I can take it down in a matter of seconds and it does a great job of keeping snow out of the bed. I was lucky to find it used.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Thanks Billy, I have a tire repair kit, nothing fancy just some plugs and the plug insertion tool, they've never let me down. As for on-board air, the MJ is non-ac so I've been collecting the parts to go off a factory compressor, and a small 2.5 gallon tank under the bed.

Easternshoreman

Here we go Duva haha...
Alright I've done some work to the truck, it's taking forever to update bc I broke my laptop so I gotta use my friends computer..

I installed the ARB snorkel
View attachment 79342
the airbox, kindda hard to see the connection, here you can also see the new HD 3 row radiator
View attachment 79344

All new exhaust, head pipe, oxygen sensor, catalytic converter, 40 series flowmaster.
View attachment 79343

my old cat and muffler were so clogged, the new exhaust combined with the cold air from the snorkel opened it up and the truck had a significant power increase

I still have to work on those nasty rockers
here's another pic..
View attachment 79345

Thanks a lot for the comments, helps lift the motivation levels.

soon, I'll be installing my new rust-free bed and looking into a rack and roof top tent set up

What wheels are those and where can I find them

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The info is in this thread in five or six different posts, but since I'm such a nice guy, I'll help:sombrero: They are Ford Crown Vic wheels. The hub centres are a bit small on the wheels, so you either have to machine them, or run a small spacer (I think gaucho used a 1/4"?).

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Love to See more info on your 92 Love the Truck! I'm starting a new Job in the summer and will need a truck. I am leaning this way.

Nate

FKreider

Observer
I have to say that good MJ builds are few and far between. This is problably one of the best and clean looking MJ's I've seen to date. I bought a 2wd one a few years ago that I planned on making an overland/adventure rig out of but life got in the way and I sold it.

How is your OM617 swap going?

I swapped a OM617 into my 88 CJ/YJ wheeling rig a couple years ago, I run an AX-15 trans with a Dana 300 with 4 to 1, 4.88 gears in Dana 44 axles on 35" tires. The diesel engine is one of the best things I have ever done to the Jeep.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Thank you! I really enjoy driving this '92. I just recently started working in Montana again and living out of hotels for the past 4 months. So not much working on Jeeps. I am a traveling mechanic now though and have a ************ mechanics truck that I can take home! When I find a home.

The OM617 Jeep is just sitting in Libby waiting for me to get back on it. It's about 95% done. But like you said life gets in the way. Haven't sold it though, just holding off till I can finish it. For now I'm just taking this '92 out camping/exploring every chance I get.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
u7umymeh.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles