Croc Hunter '92 MJ

Gaucho919

Adventurer
You say that bc of the power output of the motor? I was looking at a build where a guy put a OM606 in a cherokee and he had to extend the whole front, fenders frame and all, to fit the motor. I figured the inline 5 would be a better fit than the 6.

Concur, Gaucho.

I can't post the link now, as I am on my phone, but there's a couple folks on 4btswaps.com documenting install of a 617 in an XJ. It didn't seem too terribly difficult. One thing I would recommend, though, would be to plate the "framerails" up front, inner and outer at a minimum. In my build I will be carrying that through the entire pseudo-frame, nose to tail.

Honestly you can probably get away with not doing it with the Mercedes diesels, but I am fond of durability and upgrades to prevent problems down the line. If you were to use a 4BT I would say those reinforcements would be mandatory

Sent from my MB886 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

88Xj

Banned
You say that bc of the power output of the motor? I was looking at a build where a guy put a OM606 in a cherokee and he had to extend the whole front, fenders frame and all, to fit the motor. I figured the inline 5 would be a better fit than the 6.

They actually weigh slightly less than a dressed 4.0. The 617 being slightly lighter. Also I think the 4.0 would be more of a strain as far as how the power comes on but thats just my opinion.
I would love to plate the inside of the engine bay rails with 1/8" all the way back to the firewall like most jeepspeeds but thats time & money I don't have.
I believe you were running rubber bushings on this right Gaucho?

Gaucho919

Adventurer
I have been looking for a 242 myself. There is one at a local yard but he wants way too much for it. I have 231's in all my jeeps so far except for the Grand Wagoneer. It would be a great t-case for the winter here in MT. I had the diesel running in the truck a few days ago, it's really making me want to put one in the '92.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Oh and I now drive an XJ daily, a 1990 with the 4.0/AX-15. It is wrecked in back/passenger side, I have it tarped for now. I just recently bought a sewing machine locally and will be making a custom soft-top for it.

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Thanks! I'm actually from Florida, used to wheel all the time when I first got my TJ. Had a few friends, they had a ZJ, XJ, and a Samurai. We used to go all over with pretty stock rigs, it was like off-roading was like going for a walk. Now we all got older and the fun doesn't come as often. Definitely miss Florida already, Cheers

billyzj

Observer
yeah i relly enjoy the type of wheeling that onf has to offer its been awile since ive been out once i get my mj going hoping too get back out riding again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles