Crisis in our national parks: how tourists are loving nature to death

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
@JaSAn , well I suspect that why you saw way too many bears :) there are many more people in YNOP but the bears are more scattered now, due to using natural sources for food.
I think it was in the '70s when they started shipping problem bears out, attempting to educate the public and fining those caught.

And yes, we have expanded refuges/etc, they however, at least in part, don't get as many people because of a multitude of issues.
I don't go to most refuges near me due to hunting being allowed on them and the wildlife being scared of humans. (This isn't saying "hunting bad", it's just pointing out that wildlife behaves differently due to such).
I would recommend you try some. I saw way more elk in the Charles M Russell National Wildlife Refuge in Montana than I have ever seen in Yellowstone, and that includes the winter. I even had a small herd wander through my camp with a beagle going nuts in the camper.

I say expand more. Science has been pushing that to just keep current level of biodiversity, we need much more land protected from development, we need to fight fragmentation of habitat.
The problem is that the amount of wild land is fixed and the demand for use said lands keep expanding: hunting, fishing, timber, mining, oil & gas, ATVs, snowmobiles, et.al. Not to mention overlanding and dispersed camping so important to this crowd.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to tackle the most significant issue, human population. As long as more people want to go "out" into diminishing space, well, ya know...
I see the problem differently: people in this country have more disposable wealth, so more can afford to visit 'nature' without forgoing the comforts of home. Combine that with facebook, instagram, twitter, et.al. and natural wonders are getting a lot more press than they used to. So more people can visit without inconveniencing themselves too much.

I don't have a good answer. I am blessed to be living at a time when it is within my means to seek adventure and yet uncomfortable enough that most don't attempt it.

Maybe the answer is to go the direction that my beloved BWCAW went and restrict the number of visitors to wild places to minimize impact. I like keeping wild places wild but IMO our National Parks are very far from my definition of wild.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
@JaSAn , well I suspect that why you saw way too many bears :) there are many more people in YNOP but the bears are more scattered now, due to using natural sources for food.

And yes, we have expanded refuges/etc, they however, at least in part, don't get as many people because of a multitude of issues.

I don't go to most refuges near me due to hunting being allowed on them and the wildlife being scared of humans. (This isn't saying "hunting bad", it's just pointing out that wildlife behaves differently due to such).

I say expand more. Science has been pushing that to just keep current level of biodiversity, we need much more land protected from development, we need to fight fragmentation of habitat.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to tackle the most significant issue, human population. As long as more people want to go "out" into diminishing space, well, ya know...
Do you feel we have too many people on Earth, or too many to inhibit peoples enjoyment of leisure? How would you solve that issue if it is one?

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I am blessed to be living at a time when it is within my means to seek adventure and yet uncomfortable enough that most don't attempt it.

As am I. People are lazy. I aim to be just slightly less lazy, which has worked out pretty well and I find my favorite spots are usually just a short hike away.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
As am I. People are lazy. I aim to be just slightly less lazy, which has worked out pretty well and I find my favorite spots are usually just a short hike away.

That's all overlanding is to me anymore.

I don't have to drive through a jungle, just drive a few more miles off road than everyone else to find a spot to myself.

dcoy

Adventurer
A potential solution. Let California become it's own country. Then we can "build a wall" so Californians (Expo members get a special pass through the wall though;they're not the problem) don't come and overpopulate what's left of the beautiful West. :)

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I blame it on roads! They are too good. Let the mud, rocks, and pot holes sort 'em out.

Exactly my experience with my beloved BWCA. When Minnesota paved the Gunflint Trail, usage exploded and we started seeing large, motorized watercraft on the lakes bordering the trail. Not nearly the traffic on the (still dirt) Sawbill Trail.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Go North. It is epic on an un-describable level. For the most part it is void of weekend picture-snapping warriors, it takes a little effort and work to Get North, but the payoff is so very worth it.
The Yukon (well, Nothern BC, The Yukon, the NWT) are just out of this world beautiful on a grand scale. The travelers you do run into are usually of a similar mindset and interesting to chat with, and the locals you meet along the way are the friendliest and most accommodating people you'll ever meet.

20180704_135649.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
Went to Machu Picchu two years ago with a tour. Morning can be a bit misty and foggy. You can wear the thin disposable plastic poncho you can buy there. Still, a breath taking visit.

MOguy

Explorer
I linked up with a small group (maybe a dozen or so) a few years back (on Facebook), now there are almost 900 members. I was talking with the person who started it yesterday and he was commenting on how he has seen many of the places we travel start to erode more quickly. We travel all legal areas that is open to the public but our concern is the forestry won't be able to keep up with the maintenance and start to close off areas.

People come on the page from everywhere and want suggestions and for us to "share" our routes. I just as soon people stay away. Sunday I am linking up with the founder and after thinking about his concerns and reading this post I am going to suggest shutting down the site and opening a closed group web or facebook page and only allowing the a few to be members.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles