Cricket Camper Trailers

khronus79

Adventurer
For anyone in the Denver area there's one at REI's main store that you can take a look at. For those that already have it, what are their prices???

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I saw one of these trailers at REI in Seattle a couple months ago.

It's a cool trailer but it's pretty funky looking.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
For anyone in the Denver area there's one at REI's main store that you can take a look at. For those that already have it, what are their prices???

I thought they were around 16k. But after looking at a dealer linked from their site, they're around 24k.

khronus79

Adventurer
I thought they were around 16k. But after looking at a dealer linked from their site, they're around 24k.
Right, at first I saw them for $9k+ for just the shell and I thought $13k for a loaded one, then I read somewhere(maybe here) $13k for a basic one and $17k for a loaded one. But there's a dealer here in CO that has 2 of them going for $24k. I thought it was a typo. That's why I asked.

For 24K one can a get real travel trailer .
Same here, for $13k I could make a case for it. But for $24k, I think there are better options.

500spot

Fills the need for small car towing

Hello,I am new to this forum and came across it because of your Cricket Posts. I am not new to camping but I drive a Fiat 500L Trekking with a 1400cc turbo-charged 4 cylinder engine (160 HP-180 Tq) As you might emagine, my car is not optimized for towing. I am 71 years old and don't feel like messing with our tent anymore and teardrops require outdoor camping all the time except for sleepy time-ie: preparing meals, reading, chilling and etc. so I still want a stand up to get dressed trailer and pull it with my current ride. There doesn't seem to be any other trailer out there with a 1500lb weight & 120lb tgn weight. I also like the pop up top so no pull a barn door action to further drag my car down. I haven't bought one yet because I'm waiting for my case against a guy that T-boned me to get settled before I pull the trigger. We have looked at these at the dealer and I know it will serve my wife & I well. We are kayakers & the rack will work nicely. I have already pulled a 2200lb/220lb full height trailer with our car and it pulled it just fine so this one will be even better. There are many many choices of trailers for vehicles with more beef and more power but this one is one in a million that will work for us folks married to our minimal cars. Once we get it and put some camping time on it, I'll post some results.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Does somebody not like 90deg angles or parallel lines or something?

It really doesn't look very well thought-out and a bunch of the interior parts seem like after thoughts.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I recently saw one these campers out in West Texas. While looking "cool" "funky" etc it is just a very expensive cargo trailer you can camp in.

500spot

That's why they call it camping. If it had all the amenities from home it wouldn't be camping, you might as well stay in a hotel room. That would be cheaper than any travel trailer. I used to like tent camping which had no amenities at all. Along the way I got old and don't enjoy all the physical involvement that goes along with tents any more so pulling a trailer that reminds me a little of the yachts I used to sail appeals to me a great deal. If the trailer contains too many home items we tend to stay in the trailer more than enjoying the outdoors. Just a thought. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Munchmeister

Observer
That's why they call it camping. If it had all the amenities from home it wouldn't be camping, you might as well stay in a hotel room. That would be cheaper than any travel trailer. I used to like tent camping which had no amenities at all. Along the way I got old and don't enjoy all the physical involvement that goes along with tents any more so pulling a trailer that reminds me a little of the yachts I used to sail appeals to me a great deal. If the trailer contains too many home items we tend to stay in the trailer more than enjoying the outdoors. Just a thought. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
Reviving this thread as I agree completely about getting old along the way, which changes what you look for in a "vehicle" that allows you to keep recreating, whatever that means to you. I really dig the design, the "NASA inspired" design. The ribs with holes, bungees so you can be very flexible in storage, putting the sink, stove, cabinet storage, etc up front where you have the most headroom... You can tell the designer did indeed incorporate NASA design. Why it costs so much is something that baffles me about any RV. There seemes to be a floor of about $10,000 for just about any RV, whether a pickup pop top (E.g. Four Wheel Campers), a lightweight toy hauler (e.g. Micro-Lite extreme) etc. must be labor and you do have to pay for clever design. They are newish, so not many available used from what I can see online. Still, I like it and sometimes I think it all relates to that "time=money" thing. Spend the money so you can make the best of your time enjoying life. While you have it.

BLU60

and now they have the tigermothtrailer.com going into production today. Really neat design and materials. Not affiliated but built in my hometown Houston, TX.

Munchmeister

Observer
I've checked with a couple of dealers who are now selling the Cricket in its current incarnations, and Taxa seems to be making a push into dealer networks, maybe ramping up production and trying to get them out there and into the marketplace. The Tigermoth is an interesting concept, seems to be designed for the teardrop type buyer, especially with that roll out kitchen and an interior suitable only for being horizontal (sleeping) or maybe the "sitting in bed" position. The nice wide door is, well, nice I guess. I still like the Cricket and the fact that you can stand in it and also that the highest part is at the "kitchen" counter which is where you'd spend the most time standing, if cooking inside. But washing at the sink, prepping food, making coffee in the morning with your jammies on, is going to be done standing at that counter, which is what appeals to me. Just MHO. :chef:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles