Cricket Camper Trailers

07 Elephant

Adventurer
From their faq.

How far off road do you have in mind?

The ground clearance of the Cricket Trailer is 10.5 inches. We designed the Cricket with a car like Subaru Outback in mind as the ideal tow vehicle and consider the Cricket to be dirt road tough, but not yet off–road tough. People take the cars to crazy places.

We are thinking, though, of an off–road package for you off$ndash;roadJeep enthusiasts. Send us your ideas!

Neat little trailer. And a Texas company!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey anyone here in Houston and want to go check it out in person?
I like the sloped floor/drain idea, the use of space and the design is funky enough to be cool.
At least we are in an expanding market segment and not a dead one.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I am impressed with the "story" behind the inspiration.
I particularly like the engineering of the infrastructure.

I also am keen on the fact that you can custom design the inside. I would surely NOT put the bathroom by the kitchen.

D

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Interesting, but how many folks would actually be able to take a shower in that thing...doesn't look to be much room to manuever....

haven

Expedition Leader
The Cricket website now has a PDF with dimensions: http://crickettrailer.com/crickettrailer.pdf

overall length 15 ft
width 6 ft 6 in
height (roof raised) 6ft 10 in
interior headroom (roof raised) 6 ft 2 in
unloaded weight of basic model 1284 lbs
unloaded weight of fully optioned model 1485 lbs
GVWR of trailer 2500 lbs (so cargo can weigh 1000 to 1200 lbs)
Fresh water tank 12 gallons
grey water tank 12 gallons
ground clearance 10.5 in

price for the Cricket trailer as an empty shell $9980
price with basic outfitting $13,770
fully outfitted $17,485

For comparison, these prices are similar to more conventional Casita or Scamp fiberglass trailers, and less than models like the Oliver travel trailer and Escape trailer. A well equipped Adventure Trailers model with rooftop tent can cost $17,000. The smallest Bigfoot trailer costs about $25,000. A fully equipped Adventure Trailers Teardrop can cost $18,000, An Airstream Sport 16 costs more than $35,000.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I am raising this thread again.

I saw this trailer which is US built and to US spec on a recent episode of Travel Channel's Extreme RV. I was watching the episode because they also were featuring our friends at Global Expedition Vehicles with their trucks.

I was rather impressed that it is much like the Conqueror Commander, only smaller- but way more lightweight and much more access to the areas. Missing is a slide out kitchen but the option to cook outside or inside exists.
It also has a portable toilet and an indoor and outdoor shower option. While I don't personally like the blue or grey version, I did like the green very much. I would imagine that it could be ordered in any color.

http://crickettrailer.com/video-gal.html

http://crickettrailer.com/

As you can see on the home page, it is being easily pulled by a Subaru! Looks like it is priced from $10K- to $18K depending on options you choose- which is very reasonable as pointed out in the post above.

Might be an option. For folks that want the comforts of a teardrop, but like to have a place to stand up and move around.

D

lesliedgordon

Saw one in person!

I got to see this in person at the Sunset Home show in Menlo Park, CA this weekend. I also met the designer. My husband is an engineer and discussed converting this for off-road use. He seems to think that it is doable, but showed me some spots underneath that would need to be beefed up. Specifically, the onboard tanks would need to be upgraded.

I really liked the build quality, but could definitely see bring along some rivets just in case. The best thing is that just about everything is modular, so it would be easily replaced down the road. Also liked how much of the innards - plumbing, lighting, etc. is easily accessible for upgrades or repairs.

The shower area did look a bit small and is right next to the sink. But it looks like that area could be customized as well, as it looked like a custom cabinet that was bolted in. My husband said that he could probably mod the other side so that you have 2 doors and move the fridge to the modular unit.

I think you could fit 5 people in a pinch (2 in the bed, 2 kids in the bunks, and possibly 1 on a cot a mattress running horizontally.

We are definitely going to buy one next year for overlanding with the cruiser and will upgrade as necessary. Please feel free to ask any questions. I got really excited to see this in person. I think it will work out well for my family.

Cheers!

Leslie

TomH

Adventurer
I saw this on Travel Channel's Extreme RVs show on 6-9-12. Owner/designer is former NASA aeronautical engineer who made it "spacecraft" lightweight & efficient. It looks to handle off pavement, but not off road.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles