Crew Cab Diesel Tiger 4x4 in Colorado

sourdoughben

FYI, Check the wiring for under sized cables with high amp loads. Also for lack of high amp cables having fuses. My rig melted all the high amp cables due to these two issues. I've heard of a couple Tigers burning to the ground and I think I experienced why. I was very lucky no fire but I had to replace 35 ft. of melted 6 AWG with 2 AWG and added six- 150 amp ANL fuses, where there was one, to make it right. My rig has 4- 220amp 6v AGM batteries and the wiring of them was a disaster waiting to happen and almost did. Wiring is fixable but expensive. These are unique rigs and I love mine despite the many issues I've experienced. Cheers !

Last edited:

Rockey709

Hate to say, but the 6.4 is simply a disaster. $20k to replace correctly and all you have is an engine that will let out again in the worst possible place. Cummins swap or bust!
Or earthroamer 6.7... ?

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Yes. Bummer 6.4. But hey. You could always drive it till it craps out and do a swap. But def follow up on sourdough above about wiring. I just wired up my rig. Def have fuses or proper circuit breakers and wiring. Mike@ Battery-cables USA helped me a lot.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
FYI, Check the wiring for under sized cables with high amp loads. Also for lack of high amp cables having fuses. My rig melted all the high amp cables due to these two issues. I've heard of a couple Tigers burning to the ground and I think I experienced why. I was very lucky no fire but I had to replace 35 ft. of melted 6 AWG with 2 AWG and added six- 150 amp ANL fuses, where there was one, to make it right. My rig has 4- 220amp 6v AGM batteries and the wiring of them was a disaster waiting to happen and almost did. Wiring is fixable but expensive. These are unique rigs and I love mine despite the many issues I've experienced. Cheers !

Wow. Kinda scary. But Im glad you saved your rig.

oaklandfunk

Hate to say, but the 6.4 is simply a disaster. $20k to replace correctly and all you have is an engine that will let out again in the worst possible place. Cummins swap or bust!
Or earthroamer 6.7... ?
off topic kinda but do you know anything about the 2004 f250 6.0L engine? is it less of a disaster?

danneskjold

off topic kinda but do you know anything about the 2004 f250 6.0L engine? is it less of a disaster?

Yes, it's a solid engine once you dump $10k into it. You can still find low mileage trucks with that engine for cheapish, and 05+ ones are coil sprung front end and no DEF.

Reactions: zip

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

Yep....during my Tiger restoration found several wires with staples through them with burn marks against the wood paneling!

yfarm

Observer
For reference contacted a well known Cummins-6.4 swap company for pricing. For complete package done was 50k of which 19k was the power package which was a complete reman 6.7. This was for a 2008 f450 with blown 6.4. Could probably knock 10k off using a low miles used 6.7

D

Deleted member 9101

Just "bullet proof" the 6.4 once it starts giving you trouble...problem solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles