Creature Comforts

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Creature Comforts - Gadgets

I read and have learned about all the gear one can get for ones rig. Thank you to all on this forum and many others.

I read and have learned about places to go, how to get there and what to see. Thank you, again, to all on this forum and many others.

However, now having built "the just for me" rig and have gone to many places and seen many things, and more on my agenda in the future, how about creature comforts? Things that make life easier or more comfortable on the trail. Some call them gadgets. OK, I like gadgets too! I have friends that like gadgets, some who like them so much that they have tons. I have even nick-named them Mr. Gadget (sorry Mark)

Sometime ago, I asked moderators, admin, etc. for a section just for these gadgets. I am will to moderate this section and organize it as well.

Gadget: A gadget is a small technological object (such as a device or an appliance) that has a particular function, but is often thought of as a novelty. Gadgets are invariably considered to be more unusually or cleverly designed than normal technological objects at the time of their invention. Gadgets are sometimes also referred to as gizmos. They make life easier, more comfortable and fun!

So, with that in mind, I encourage you to post up any gadgets you find or have bought with pros/cons, info, usage, data, URL (website), price, etc. Put the name of it in the subject/title area so we can find it easier.

I will post up one for now and see how it goes...please don't let me down. I know there are other Mr. gadgets out there!

Last edited:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Campfire Back Warmer

Have you ever sat in front of a campfire on a cold evening, only to have your front bake while your back froze? This ingenious device is the answer to this problem.

It is a reflective sheet that clips onto almost any chair (especially good with folding chairs) and, curved down behind and partly under the chair, reflects the radiant energy from the fire toward your bottom and back.

Made of a durable reflective laminate material for long life. Great for campers and cottagers. Also good in front of wood stoves or heaters in ice fishing huts. Measures 22" x 45".

Made in Kanukistan. Available @ Lee Valley USA or Lee Valley Kanukistan Photos at each website.

Campfire Back Warmer
GB110 $19.95 CDN $18.50 USA

Maker of the gadget: BakGlo

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice. Do they offer a version that works with these kind of chairs?

1132518.jpg

DaveM

Explorer
Is scotch considered a "gadget"? Because it's certainly a comfort!

Ok, ok... rigth now I'd have to say my favorite gadget is my tent, the Oztent RV3. It's a mini canvas cabin with a built in awning. And once I complete the purchase of the extra panels it will have two rooms! http://us.oztent.com/

I also very much like quick fists for attaching things like highlifts, axes and shovels to my rig. http://www.endroad.com/page/page/711712.htm

And I love my roll up sheppards table: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25914

James86004

Expedition Leader
When we were absolutely freezing in the snow around the hot fire one time, an old timer got up, grabbed the shovel, and put 2 or 3 hot coals on the ground under each of our chairs. The difference those coals made was amazing, even through the chair, outergarmets, and long johns.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Nice. Do they offer a version that works with these kind of chairs?
1132518.jpg
It works with all kinds of chairs. Read links above.

Is scotch considered a "gadget"? Because it's certainly a comfort!

Ok, ok... rigth now I'd have to say my favorite gadget is my tent, the Oztent RV3. It's a mini canvas cabin with a built in awning. And once I complete the purchase of the extra panels it will have two rooms! http://us.oztent.com/

I also very much like quick fists for attaching things like highlifts, axes and shovels to my rig. http://www.endroad.com/page/page/711712.htm Excellent!

And I love my roll up sheppards table: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25914
Tents are not really gadgets. Gadgets are usually smaller and can fit inside one's rig---but the table is excellent!

When we were absolutely freezing in the snow around the hot fire one time, an old timer got up, grabbed the shovel, and put 2 or 3 hot coals on the ground under each of our chairs. The difference those coals made was amazing, even through the chair, outergarmets, and long johns.

I too have used this but my back doesn't get warm and when anyone passes by behind you they tend to step on the handle and then start as fire under your butt! or trip over it. Sparks too can burn holes in your chair.

More gadgets please! Oh...and lets stay on topic, OK.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Mr Heater Portable Buddy

MH9B.jpg

We paid something like $60 for it, and it is great for heating the interior of the tent trailer and the Dormobile. It shuts off automatically if you bump it (we have tested this a couple of times), so the tip over protection works. We bought an adapter hose so we can hook it to a rear propane tank.

We have had it for 3 or 4 years now and it still works perfectly. My two complaints with it are, I wish it had a lower heat setting than the two it has, and it can be a fire hazard if you are not careful.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Harbor Freight/Walmart

Some really inexpensive (read cheap) gadgets can be had at Harbor Freight and similar stores. I got a collapsing bucket for 4.99 their once. Similar collapsing garbage buckets are also available in various sizes. However, as much as I like the store, it does carry the same things once they sold out. So once you found it buy it or it will be gone. Similarly for Costco.

Wal-Mart - I got a Micro Stove Max made by Coleman which uses the fuel canisters sold almost everywhere (best deal at Altrec.com) for $15 on sale which does the same as a jet Boil ($100 plus). They also sell Fire-Starters for $0.88/ea or $10 for 12 which are like log ones but rectangular (pack easier), smaller (~2x1x12") and can start a wet wood fire quite easily.

Wal-Mart on line (only) also has a LED Lantern, 12V, 2 settings, rechargeable by 12V or piezo for under $25. Reliance folding toilet (like the PETT -$75 plus)

CanuckMariner/Nomad

MH9B.jpg

We paid something like $60 for it, and it is great for heating the interior of the tent trailer and the Dormobile. It shuts off automatically if you bump it (we have tested this a couple of times), so the tip over protection works. We bought an adapter hose so we can hook it to a rear propane tank.

We have had it for 3 or 4 years now and it still works perfectly. My two complaints with it are, I wish it had a lower heat setting than the two it has, and it can be a fire hazard if you are not careful.

Too bad about the fire hazard and using gases. Maybe a leak while you sleep could turn to a serious accident.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
It works with all kinds of chairs. Read links above.

I did read the link. Based on their diagram/picture you'd have to modify the chair or add something to make it work with that chair since it's designed to wrap around the bottom cross members which aren't used in the chair above. The manufacturers does describe the setup noting possibly adding a weight to the part at your feet but the site doesn't really show a good illustration of how it sets up with this kind of chair. They should have simply taken a picture of it set up.
gb110d1c.jpg

gb110s1.jpg

Last edited:

Explorer
You could use a small piece of metal rod bent into a [ shape and push into the ground to grab the lower handle.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
You could use a small piece of metal rod bent into a [ shape and push into the ground to grab the lower handle.

I'd rather just buy a chair like the one they use if I were to get this item. Seems too much like a duct tape / band aid fix.

I prefer purpose built solutions, not band aided ones if I can avoid them.

That said, it's a really cool or more appropriately 'warm' idea.:)

Explorer
I'd rather just buy a chair like the one they use if I were to get this item. Seems too much like a duct tape / band aid fix.

I prefer purpose built solutions, not band aided ones if I can avoid them.

That said, it's a really cool or more appropriately 'warm' idea.:)

Very true, plus it wouldn't wrap underneath a chair with the X brace in back.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

I did read the link. Based on their diagram/picture you'd have to modify the chair or add something to make it work with that chair since it's designed to wrap around the bottom cross members which aren't used in the chair above. The manufacturers does describe the setup noting possibly adding a weight to the part at your feet but the site doesn't really show a good illustration of how it sets up with this kind of chair. They should have simply taken a picture of it set up.
gb110d1c.jpg

gb110s1.jpg

The LV site is showing the older version of this gadget, I spoke to the manufacturer and they assure that it now has green handles and can accommodate different chairs.

It was 007 (Clint) that put me on to this gadget which I hope to test soon.

mudbutt

Explorer
I bought 3 of these little flashlghts at H/F.... Alas, once they sold out, no more.

They are super bright for their size. I can illuminate a tree in my front yard from about 25'-30' away.

The charge seems to last forever. I ocassionally leave them on overnight to condition the battery, and they are almost as bright when I get up as they were the night before.

The fact that they live in your dash makes them very hard to misplace.

http://www.essentialgear.com/store/p/106-Spotlight-Rechargeable-LED-Vehicle-Light.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles