Creative ways of washing roof under roof rack??? Looking for suggestions....

Chris21700

Observer
I always find it to be a PITA to wash my roof, can't seem to find the right tool to do it. I've tried several different types of brushes, sponges, ect, and none fits easily between the roof and the rack. I always have to resort to using a large sponge from above and washing between each and every little cross bar. Anyone come up with a quick way, that does a decent job?

mires

Adventurer
How much room is between the roof and the rack? Could try an extendable squeegee with a microfiber wrapped around it. May have to cut the rubber squeegee part off but may work.

tatanka48

old fashioned cotton string MOP w/ a wooden handle

they're made w/ round heads and flat heads

the round has a larger cross section than the flat

just a lazy man's 2¢ worth this morning

T

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have given up trying to wash the roof under my roof rack. The clever designers at LR made a glass roof to allow the light to shine through the slide open inside sky view areas. Since I don't use the views the glass roof is a real pain for me to clean.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You think that's frustrating, imagine having to see dirty glass on the windows you can't reach when you have camper shell on your pickup. Maddening!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
When I had an ARE (brand) camper on my Ram, it had a fold down front window.. crawl inside, release two latches and hinge down. Full access to clean both windows. I figured that would be standard for that very purpose..
Ha, yup! My second truck I owned I got one with a sliding back window specifically because the first one was a solid rear window. You live and learn. At least if you can get your arm in there you can wipe off most of the crud.

Whether it bugs me enough to go to the complexity of a tilting window (which sounds expensive and prone to eventual issues), I doubt that. But then again I'm dubious of power rear windows so I'm not the best judge of consumer taste.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I use a hose-connected car-/RV-washing brush generally, but my solid roof deck it too low to fit the brush. I just spray a lot of water down the roof channels and call it done. And thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I'm not screwed up with OCD or Autism.

Chris21700

Observer
How much room is between the roof and the rack? Could try an extendable squeegee with a microfiber wrapped around it. May have to cut the rubber squeegee part off but may work.

Not much...probably less than a couple inches in some spots due to the slight curve of the roof. Thanks for the ideas those that posted, I'll have to take some precise measurements to see exactly what the requirement will be and make some visits to local businesses. I tried the squeegee, and a couple different attachments for a telescoping pole. Simple mop might be best solution!

doug720

Expedition Leader
If you have help - 2 pieces of small rope tied to an old towel. Quick, easy, cheap, and makes physical contact, so it cleans well. You can go side to side, and front to rear to.

I used this wash tight places on our ocean boats, and works great!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz