Cream of the Cra.... inexpensive TIRES! Let's get this on the table.

If you were buying budget tires today they'd be:

• Total voters

lowrider1

I have 285x16 General Grabbers on my Frontier. There are a road M&S tread and surprised me to see them pull thru knee deep snow in 2 wheel drive. I may have used 4WD a dozen times for 30' then back to 2 WD all last winter. I have about 38K now and should do 50K with no problem. I think they were $460 or so at WalMart for 4 mounted and balanced and they rotate while you shop for free. May put them on my wife's X car next.

southofantarctica

Brush Dawg
Also gotta pimp the Grabber AT2s, threw a set of 27s on a old diesel Mercedes with 400k about 5 years back as a daily driver and that thing straight killed it. Those tires would get you places you had no business being in a 2wd sedan. Also, they were pretty cheap at the time. Great traction even at the beach where I most often took it. 2019-08-20_01-26-32.jpg
2019-08-20_01-26-37.jpg
2019-08-20_01-26-43.jpg
2019-08-20_01-31-55.jpg

Last edited:

smokeysevin

Observer
Something else to consider, lots of the "Budget" tires recycle older high end tread patterns. The name escapes me but when goodyear switched from the original mtr to the new one, some second, third or fourth tier brand started making that pattern with slightly different sidewalls.

https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter/265+75+16 (BFG)

https://www.greenballtires.com/brands/kanati/mud-hog-mt (OG MTR)

As a side note, I always get a kick out of the oilfield trucks with huge polished or chrome wheels riding on cheap tires. When the truck is financed for 100 months who cares right?

Sean

Recommended books for Overlanding

Dreaming of Jupiter
by Ted Simon
From $16.02
We Will Be Free: Overlanding In Africa and Around South A...
by Mr Graeme Robert Bell
From $20
The Total Approach of Getting Unstuck Off Road: 4WD Self-...
by Robert Wohlers
From $59.95
Adventure Motorcycling Handbook: A Route & Planning Guide
by Chris Scott
From $10.09

dougrz

Lionhart Lionclaw
Americus Ranger
Achilles Desert Hawk
Sigma Trail Guide
Lexani Terrain Beast
Landsail Rangeblazer AT
Groundspeed Voyager AT
Radar Renegade A/T
We're going strictly by the equivalent of how we pick women? Women=looks, tires=names. Then those above.

MobyDenmark

Dang!
Two pages about budget all terrains and no one has mentioned the General Grabber AT2.
I have used these on vans, trucks and two Subarus and have zero complaints.
Even some of Generals new tire designs are still priced pretty good compared to the competition.

I have also had good luck with the Hankook Dynapro AT-M
I have a set on a 5th gen 4Runner with 15,000 miles on them and they have tons of life left in them.
Also have a set of the Dynapros ready to go on my new (to me) van.
Ive just mounted General Grapper AT3 255/55-20 on HAWKE wheels on my L322.

So far i am very pleased. Almost no Road noice.

Next step is an roof rack and tent. Thinking of the frontrunner roofrack. Any experience with this?

Attachments

Shovel

Dreaming Ape
What I'm getting from this is that apparently the best "no-name" brand all terrain tire is General, which also happens to be the preeminent off-highway tire brand of Continental AG, a $44bn blue chip juggernaut decades older than & and twice the size of Michelin.

That's an interesting result :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Triplesnake

Adventurer
I wanted a set of cheap tires to run on my S10 blazer I use as a hunting truck. I ended up putting on a set of Nankang mudstar tires. I've actually been impressed with the traction and handling. They are noisy on the road like I'd expect a M/T tire to be, but not overly so. Last year, the 4wd stopped working on that truck, but I was still able to go pretty much everywhere I wanted thanks to those tires. I'm pretty happy with them

pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Think any of these companies would entertain a 275/75r18 or 275/85r16 kind of sizing?

85_Ranger4x4

What I'm getting from this is that apparently the best "no-name" brand all terrain tire is General, which also happens to be the preeminent off-highway tire brand of Continental AG, a $44bn blue chip juggernaut decades older than & and twice the size of Michelin.

That's an interesting result :ROFLMAO:
I don't know if General is really a no name tire or really a super bargain priced. For my size (31x10.50-15) on Amazon they are $7 cheaper than a Cooper AT3, $11 more than a Firestone AT, $13 cheaper than a Goodyear and $18 cheaper than a KO. Slightly better than average price, not really super bargain priced.

Binksman

Observer
Some people might not be comfortable ordering tires online for various reasons. Your local shop might still have an older pattern in stock, or they might have some off-brand tire. That's how I ended up with General AT2 at a significant difference from the BFG ATs.

I usually buy tires from a local shop because its supporting a local business and they include mounting, valve stems, and balancing in the price. I went with Treadwrights in part on the shop's recommendation and from seeing their shop trucks running them. Buying online isn't always cheapest, but your choice often depends on where you are and what is available IRL.

85_Ranger4x4

Some people might not be comfortable ordering tires online for various reasons. Your local shop might still have an older pattern in stock, or they might have some off-brand tire. That's how I ended up with General AT2 at a significant difference from the BFG ATs.

I usually buy tires from a local shop because its supporting a local business and they include mounting, valve stems, and balancing in the price. I went with Treadwrights in part on the shop's recommendation and from seeing their shop trucks running them. Buying online isn't always cheapest, but your choice often depends on where you are and what is available IRL.
I have never bought them online but for interweb conversation it is easier to price there than to call around town pricing tires to see if they are really that much cheaper.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Anybody have a favorite tire that is durable in lava rocks and quiet on the highway?

I don't need something with especially fantastic off-road traction, i just want it to be durable enough that i'm not overly worried about shredding a tire on a sharp rock and that is quiet for the highway driving that accounts for 90% of my time in the vehicle (GMC Yukon). I just put on a set of KO2s and am really disappointed at how loud they are, granted, they're a fairly worn down set that i picked up super cheap to give a try. New ones with more tread depth would be a little quieter i'm sure, but these aren't totally worn out. I can mount and balance my own tires so I don't mind picking up used/worn ones if they're a good deal and will last me a little while at least.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Overlanding the Americas: La Lucha
by Mr Graeme Robert Bell
From $20
The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United Stat...
by TeriAnn Wakeman
From $64.95
The Total Approach of Getting Unstuck Off Road: 4WD Self-...
by Robert Wohlers
From $59.95
Overlanders' Handbook: Worldwide Route & Planning Guide: ...
by Chris Scott
From $29.95
Motorcycle Messengers: Tales from the Road by Writers who...
by Lois Pryce, Mark Richardson, Carla King, Sam Manic...
From $9.99

pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
i just want it to be durable enough that i'm not .
Two of the stupidest-strong LT tires I've ever known are Firestone MTs and Dunlop Mud Rovers. Both are just overbuilt to a fault, like they were built to drive on Europa. Your mileage will absolutely vary. Might be worth a try?

Jorwood

This was my choice last week
Yokohame 7.50R16s on my Jeep TJR
View attachment 530785

I've run 33" BFG KM2s, KO2s for years. I get 45K miles out of them. I like skinny and nothing is skinnier than a 7.50.
The plusses

$40 less per tire
8# lighter per tire
The ribbed version is rated for 70K miles, they figure I'll get 90% of that with the traction version on a Wrangler
They ride better, smoother than any other tire I've had on my 15 year old TJ.
My TJ will be 8" narrower once I trim the flares

Only negative, they are the loudest tire I have ever had but hey I'll live with that, I just cut my tire expenses in half.
View attachment 530786

Pretty sure I'll be buying 2 more for my teardrop trailer.
What are those rims off of?