Crazy ideas that just might work.. Shower in a can!

trailscape

Explorer
Well, an ammo can! I didn't like making holes in a perfectly good ammo can, but I felt I needed to attempt this idea. Everything went together rather well I think.

There's an RV pump in there with a toggle switch. Two lines, one for the water source which just has some pex tubing and a cut-off that you can place into whatever you like. The other end is just a simple kitchen sprayer.

IMG_20131003_164756.jpg

13" bar sink with drain and stopper sitting in a home depot bucket. Perfect fit!
IMG_20131003_165013.jpgIMG_20131003_164739.jpg

Part B: Still finishing this up. But, another ammo can containing a 35ah battery, solar controller, usb output and even a 400w inverter. Need to add the 12v output below the usb and tidy up a bit but so far so good.
IMG_20131003_164809.jpgIMG_20131003_164948.jpgIMG_20131003_164748.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20131003_164959.jpg
    IMG_20131003_164959.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 38

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Nice. How do you heat the water? I have a Zodi, but I hate that you have to leave it running when heating, and the D cell pump is not so reliable been thinking about converting it into a batch heater with a 12 volt pump and sprayer like you did.

My old method was a 5 gallon H2O fire extinguisher, a bicycle pump, and one of those sink sprayers like you used. I would leave it in the sun and it held enough water for two excellent hi pressure showers.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

trailscape

Explorer
Nice. How do you heat the water? I have a Zodi, but I hate that you have to leave it running when heating, and the D cell pump is not so reliable been thinking about converting it into a batch heater with a 12 volt pump and sprayer like you did.

My old method was a 5 gallon H2O fire extinguisher, a bicycle pump, and one of those sink sprayers like you used. I would leave it in the sun and it held enough water for two excellent hi pressure showers.

I also use the Zodi hot tap and had cycled the water through one container until the right temp. I haven't set this one up for that yet, but I previously used a 3-way valve on the sprayer side that plugged into the zodi. I think the cleanest way to do this here would be to have the pump output connected to a valve on the side of the ammo can and just swap between sprayer, zodi or some other attachment.

trailscape

Explorer
Ah, gotcha! Very clever setup.

Thanks. I'm hoping to streamline it some and make the Zodi more convenient to use. I need some new hose all around to standardize the setup and get rid of the lower pressure zodi tubing. I'd like to add a means of monitoring the water temp and a plug for a 12v socket. So far I threw it together from random parts in the garage. I was aiming for a lightweight portable system that I didn't really have to worry about winterizing.

trailscape

Explorer
IMG_20131005_144259.jpg

Here's the current Zodi setup in use. I used a quick fitting that makes it easy to swap lines to the pump output. The pump runs to the Zodi and out to the tank. The water recycles through the Zodi and pump until it's good and hot. Shut it off and swap the sprayer hose back in. I'm going to add a water temp gauge and replace the hoses as the Zodi lines tend to kink easily.

Looks like the Zodi works from the same bulk propane adapter that my Coleman stove uses. So I can leave the 1lb cylinder and base behind and make it even more compact by simply hanging it when needed. It also fits perfect into an ammo can as well. Kind of amusing how thus far everything fits so well into these cans. They don't take up much room at all.

IMG_20131005_174649.jpg

I now have three ammo cans set up for modular use. One for the shower/sprayer, one for the Zodi and another as a portable battery pack. The original Zodi storage bag works great for my dishes and kitchen utensils.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94