Crap, I got sealed beams on my E350, anything I can do to make my lights much better..

Numbchux

They are so freaking many companies selling the exact same things rebranded or with a better package..

I'm hoping having my light bar at the bumper will bring less unwanted attention, but I'm going to install a switch just in case..

Absolutely true, but there are a ton of clearly-different designs. The ones that are DOT or ECE approved cost a lot more, and certainly are better. And there are unnacceptably cheap ones, trying to walk the line between that....

Yes, if you're running a light bar, put it on a switch, and turn it off when other cars are around.

Those Sylvanias are the ones I've used for 20 years. So I take it you like ultra bright LEDs which don't suck but blind the oncoming traffic. Personally I prefer to drive within the ability of my lights and pay attention rather than blind the oncoming traffic and watch them cross the center line.

Off the shelf sealed beams leave plenty to be desired. A light housing with good optics will illuminate more of the road and ditch, AND cast less light above the cutoff (and therefore into the eyes of oncoming traffic).

I’ve converted almost all my lights to LED for one reason or another. Headlights and driving are still Halogen... not too worried about amps in a 9k+ rig with a 215amp alternator. I’m not 100% confident in the durability and longevity of LEDs. If one or two of four brake lights get dim it’s not the end of the world... two headlights going dark while rounding a corner could be deadly.

Yes, LEDs do fail, but not any more frequently than halogen/incandescents. The chances of having them both fail simultaneously isn't any higher than with halogens.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Absolutely true, but there are a ton of clearly-different designs. The ones that are DOT or ECE approved cost a lot more, and certainly are better. And there are unnacceptably cheap ones, trying to walk the line between that....

Yes, if you're running a light bar, put it on a switch, and turn it off when other cars are around.

Off the shelf sealed beams leave plenty to be desired. A light housing with good optics will illuminate more of the road and ditch, AND cast less light above the cutoff (and therefore into the eyes of oncoming traffic).

Yes, LEDs do fail, but not any more frequently than halogen/incandescents. The chances of having them both fail simultaneously isn't any higher than with halogens.
True... however it’s cheap and easy to carry a spare H4... truck lite and other LEDs not so easy... and not as easy to find in the middle of nowhere.

So far my incandescent smaller bulbs have lasted longer than the LED ones. I’ve got incandescent bulbs I’ve been using for 20 years, and have LEDs that have died within 2 years.

ricardo

Observer

Dohhh on the DOT, so if they have it on the lense, they will be LEGAL...??? (same with ECE...??)

That is a factor I'm willing to pay money for, i hate getting stop by the cops..

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Oddly enough, on my 4x4 I’ve been running uncovered 130w ******** Cipek off road lights and European Hella headlights since the early ‘90s and have never been hassled by the police. I’ve not used the 7.5” Super Off-roaders on the street... but driver attitude and behaviour play a large part.

ricardo

Observer
Oddly enough, on my 4x4 I’ve been running uncovered 130w ******** Cipek off road lights and European Hella headlights since the early ‘90s and have never been hassled by the police. I’ve not used the 7.5” Super Off-roaders on the street... but driver attitude and behaviour play a large part.
Like this..?

or on top..
Cara%20%26%20Lauren%20at%20the%20beach%20014-L.jpg

A big applause to the person that figure out what are the mounts for the Borg Wagner lights (Best lights ever by the way, low/high beam, the whole thing..

Last edited:

ricardo

Observer
Ricky it's nice to see your name pop up here.
I enjoyed reading many of your post's back on ADV
Identified your self (I always want to say that...)
I also switched my van to the Hella housings with Halogen bulbs. At one time I was running ADV monster LED bulbs but they didn't last.
Theses are the housings
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M9QRE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Well Cages finally cut me, I learn how to drive at 49 do to a move to salt lake city and making babies..

Sadly I suffer a stupid fall (On Black ice walking) and to save my girl I spin my self around so hard I tear six of my disc, miracle I'm not on a wheel chair..

So no more skateboards, or motorcycles, I'm still trying bicycles but so far I get electric shocks on my butt..

will cars I'm using my typical strategy, make them fun, make them funky and make them perform so I really feel like riding them..

Steve_P

Many years ago I swapped the sealed beams on my Jeep with a PIAA conversion kit, just a reflector bucket and lens, snap in the desired bulb. I picked PIAA because it was the only one with a glass lens.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Like this..?

or on top..
Cara%20%26%20Lauren%20at%20the%20beach%20014-L.jpg

A big applause to the person that figure out what are the mounts for the Borg Wagner lights (Best lights ever by the way, low/high beam, the whole thing..
Like the ones in the middle... only without any plastic covers over them. One mounted on the top of each frame rail.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
5x7 projectors with JDM led lights.

$50 for the lights

42in led bar I had on previous rig

Plenty of light!!
94ae3b8f6f63440bb2f69f5a6fc932f5.jpg
f9c239adf2b7730e60375baa4d2d6c1e.jpg
720d7975f04ab35e7684a1d861d7d806.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I have a set of similar LED headlights... I do have to say they throw a lot of light. So far I’ve not been overly impressed by the light pattern... but I’d hope Truck-Lite would be better than mine. Ideally I’d like to replace my off-road lights with LED headlights. They’re mounted lower which would help keep it out oncoming drivers eyes. Four carefully aimed headlights would sure light up the road.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Like the ones in the middle... only without any plastic covers over them. One mounted on the top of each frame rail.
View attachment 511356View attachment 511357

Dunno about other states, but unless the rules have changed, those would be legal in Cali as "driving lights". They have to be within the same min/max height as headlights and switched so they turn off when the headlights are switched from high beam to low beam.

Back in the 70's, before I knew much about electricity, but was a flying freak, I mounted a pair of 250w landing lights from an aircraft junkyard to the front of my Mini. Perfectly legal and insanely bright...for about a week until the mini's 20a generator melted into a solid lump...

Replaced them with KC Hilites. Had the occasional cop object to them being uncovered, but I had a Xerox of the page from the vehicle code in the glovebox, so once I showed them that, and that they were switched with the high beams, never got a ticket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles