Crankshaft pulley bolt

CJREX

I recently updated mine with the bolt and washer.

I didn't see a lot of difference between the original and the replacement washer, but decided I'd gladly spend the devil out of the $8 for the new washer to not have to do it again.

Reactions: plh

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The washers are nearly identical, I don't see any issue with reusing it. As to the comment about them being convex, um, I think yours might be bent. I have had about 6 crank bolt assemblies on the bench at one time or another, and they were all dead flat.

PaydayGabe

?‍♂️was at the Stealer earlier this month for parts. Asked about the "updated crankshaft bolt" and got the Deer in the headlights look.
Parts guy brought up the schematic and had no reference for the upgrade.
Just the original.
Anyone have a Part number so I can rub it in their face next visit.
Thanks, G.

it's a well known replacement. must be a fresh counter person there. I recall, if I'm not confusing my engines, that the center hole has a bevel to it and must be installed a certain wsy, I think with the bevel toward that bolt shank?

if this is true, please confirm. I might be very wrong on this. if I'm right , it's worth mentioning.

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
I'm holding a brand new ADD sourced genuine MMA bolt and washer and my washer is dead nuts flat. There's a chamfer on the inside of only one side but other than that it is flat. There's no corresponding chamfer on the bolt head as it is flat where the neck meets the head.IMG_20190919_130443.jpgIMG_20190919_130443.jpgIMG_20190919_130439.jpgIMG_20190919_130542.jpgIMG_20190919_130452.jpgIMG_20190919_130554.jpg

PaydayGabe

I'm holding a brand new ADD sourced genuine MMA bolt and washer and my washer is dead nuts flat. There's a chamfer on the inside of only one side but other than that it is flat. There's no corresponding chamfer on the bolt head as it is flat where the neck meets the head.View attachment 539934View attachment 539934View attachment 539935View attachment 539936View attachment 539937View attachment 539938
There ya go.? By chance do you have a part number. Please. G.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
?‍♂️was at the Stealer earlier this month for parts. Asked about the "updated crankshaft bolt" and got the Deer in the headlights look.
Parts guy brought up the schematic and had no reference for the upgrade.
Just the original.
Anyone have a Part number so I can rub it in their face next visit.
Thanks, G.
To be fair, its not like its a "current" issue. I am not sure when it came out, but I think the new bolt was from 2001 or something like that. That's nearly 20 years ago.

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
I'll do you one better...

Gen 2 & 3 Revised Crank bolt and washer - Part numbers: 1100A141 MR994412
If haven't heard yet; the factory bolt had issues with backing out, breaking off and ruining almost everything. including your day or worse, your trip into the back-country... But lets not even worry about that, cause there's a solution. If you check the the bolt holding your crankshaft pulley on and find it to stick out from the pulley more than an inch, it's the old unit and needs to be replaced, if it hasn't flown off yet, it's only a matter of time. Some of them only lasted 60,000 miles, some of them have lasted 160,000 miles, but eventually they all fail leaving you with a damaged crankshaft and possibly much more,
You can go to the local dealer to buy this part, part number: MR994412 and 1100A141
Do you need the bolt? Yup. Do you need the washer? Yup.

Do we sell you both in one cute little package with a sticker? Yup.

But for those of you without a local dealer, we've got you covered. We're such hardcore mitsu enthusiasts that we bought a house next to the mitsu dealer. That means we have easy access to dealer parts and we're passing that access on to you guys.

Photo of the old style on a gen 2:

25443034_10213905936509955_8250646000712318278_n.jpg

Revised Crankshaft bolt and washer kit Gen 2 & 3 Part numbers: 1100A141 MR994412
  • Product Code: 1100A141 MR994412 G2

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
What years and which engines were impacted?
I’ve read this a hundred times:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES: MIRAGE MODEL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 1.5L ENGINES; MONTERO SPORT MODELS EQUIPPED WITH 3.0L ENGINES; AND MONTERO MODELS EQUIPPED WITH 3.0L ENGINES. THE BOLT SECURING THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY CAN BECOME LOOSE AND THE PULLEY COULD FALL OFF THE VEHICLE.
Corrective Action:
“ON THE MIRAGE VEHICLES, THE DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW, IMPROVED CRANKSHAFT PULLEY BOLT ON THE OLDER ENGINES. ON NEW ENGINES WHICH ALREADY HAVE THE IMPROVED BOLT, THE DEALER WILL TIGHTEN THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY BOLT TO THE CORRECT TORQUE SPECIFICATION. ON THE MONTERO MODELS, DEALERS WILL TIGHTEN THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY BOLT TO THE CORRECT TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. IF THE BOLT IS DAMAGED, IT WILL BE REPLACED.”

So it has always seemed to me to be a torque issue really and makes sense that a longer bolt will have more spring to it and be harder to properly torque, but not impossible, which is probably why they switched to a shorter bolt. Maybe there was more than one official recall because I have a 98 3.5 and this happened to me. I’ve never been able to find an actual NHTSA recall for this past 1996 model year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles