Cracks on tyre

Bris31

Adventurer
One of the tyre has developed hair thin cracks on the side - about 2-4 cm long (photos).
From experience, how serious it is? Is it time to change?
Tyre is 3+ years old, have done about 35k, BFG LT315/75R16 127R.
Thanks in advance.

Tyre1.jpgTyre2.jpg

Aussie Iron

Explorer
They look like cuts from rocks. Use something very thin and prob them for depth as they may only be shallow. You can normally feel if they are down to the cord by moving your prob around a bit. My belief if not down to cords they are still right. I would run them on the rears if you are concerned about them.

Usually splits in tyres run out at 90° to rim edge and would be more in the sidewall ( say from centre of BFGOODRICH outwards to tread) and straight.

My thoughts on it,
Dan.

Bris31

Adventurer
Thanks all for your input and thoughts. Forgot to mention, it is the rear passenger side tyre and cracks are only outside.

The first thing that I would do is contact BFGoodrich.
Very good suggestion Owen, I contacted BFG and they advised to get it inspected at nearest BFG dealer. So going there at next opportunity.

They look like cuts from rocks. Use something very thin and prob them for depth as they may only be shallow. You can normally feel if they are down to the cord by moving your prob around a bit. My belief if not down to cords they are still right. I would run them on the rears if you are concerned about them. Dan.
Thanks Dan. there are about 6 cracks all around on this tyre and I couldn't prob much deeper. Tyre is on rear (passenger side).

Agree, appears to be cuts from Rocks.
There are about 6 of them, now I think chipped from rocks but couple of them looks straight cracks (or my wishful thinking so can get some pro-rata refund! :) )

move vehicle forward a bit and see if they "open".
Tried this, only one would open a little bit, but not much.

Definitely cuts from rocks. Very common. Not generally of concern.
Allan
Thanks Allan, hope it is not any concern.

Since it is one rear tyre and cuts are only outside, as everyone mentioned, can be flying rocks. I should be fixing passenger side front tyre's mudflap (bit worn off).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne