Cracks on James Baroud Evasion

threplogle

Hello all, I just noticed some cracks on my new James Baroud Evasion and was wondering if anybody else has experienced the same thing. I’ve had it for about a month now and it has had light use so far (4 nights in it) so I’m surprised it is cracking like it is. It appears to be in the gel coat but not for sure. Other than the cracks I’m very happy with it.
44F4ED82-7996-4FE3-88C1-BC4EADAEB2A9.jpeg

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Authome cracks just the same. I had one, and it had these little cracks on the side, only tent fibreglass tent I ever owned that didn't crack was a Hannibal Impi, that was an old (10+ years) model and was built like a tank.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Two tortured Autohome fiberglass RTTs in 14-years without any cracks. Gel coat or otherwise. If the OP's issue truly is from no-impact and just a couple months old...

ebrabaek

Adventurer
You should not normally see the spider cracking in gel coat except over time.
As this is fairly new I would say that it should not be.
If the gel coat is too thin is could crack premature.
Thermal coeficiant of expansion can also crack the gel coat as the main layup expands at a different rate than the gel coat.
A third suspect could be too brittle gel coat. This can happen if the manufacture uses to much catalyst in the mix. You can achieve a harder more abrasive resistant top by doing so.
These are off course suspects, and it might be a combination.
I do find it interesting how the pattern originates from one point on the top.
Is there any vibration created in that area from air loads while under way?

Wallygator

Adventurer
Nope, just dirt. It hasn’t been hit by anything....but thanks for playing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find it so strange how people ask for help and then wise "crack" ;) on those that try to help. Hope you find an answer bud. You got a nice camper that cost a lot of money and I hope Baroud takes care of you.

threplogle

I find it so strange how people ask for help and then wise "crack" ;) on those that try to help. Hope you find an answer bud. You got a nice camper that cost a lot of money and I hope Baroud takes care of you.

Thanks for your reply Wallygator. I'm not trying to be a smart ******....my original post was wanting feedback from owners of the tent to see if they had experienced similar cracking. The other guy implied that I had hit something which caused it.....which obviously if I had done something like that I wouldn't be posting. If I break it, I fix it.

The tent had a few cracks underneath it when I unboxed it and when I queried the dealer he said JB said it was "normal". If it's "normal" then I'll get a gel coat repair kit from West Marine and fix it myself (plenty of experience doing that on my 30 year old sailboats)....but if it's a defect, I'd rather have JB repair/replace since I spent so much $$ on it.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Thanks for your reply Wallygator. I'm not trying to be a smart ******....my original post was wanting feedback from owners of the tent to see if they had experienced similar cracking. The other guy implied that I had hit something which caused it.....which obviously if I had done something like that I wouldn't be posting. If I break it, I fix it.

The tent had a few cracks underneath it when I unboxed it and when I queried the dealer he said JB said it was "normal". If it's "normal" then I'll get a gel coat repair kit from West Marine and fix it myself (plenty of experience doing that on my 30 year old sailboats)....but if it's a defect, I'd rather have JB repair/replace since I spent so much $$ on it.

Good to know. Have you contacted JB? If not you should immediately. I have heard of the Autohomes gel coat cracking being normal but yeah it would be hard to look at those cracks on such an expensive piece of kit. I hope they take care of you. Please post back with their reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles