Cracks on James Baroud Evasion

Nathansharkey80

Actually there is significantly more than just that. Aside from the fact that the tents are all completely hand-made in a family-owned factory in Portugal, the shells are all reinforced three-layer fiberglass (far more rigid and strong than any other product in the world), they each have an integrated solar-charged ventilation fan in the roof, the fabric is a polyester-aluminum synthetic with superior (and permanent) waterproofing, mold/mildew-resistance, and weight savings over the rip-stop coated poly-cotton all other manufacturers use. They also have the longest warranty and are uniquely innovative in both design and construction of every part of the tent.

For example, the lead seamstress at the factory has been sewing tent fabric for over 25 years and seamstresses must apprentice at the factory for 6 years before being allowed to sew on their own. The specialty sewing machines used are custom-designed specifically for James Baroud by a German company and take 6 months to produce. They have the only tent fabric that is not riveted onto the tent, making it more water-tight but also completely replaceable. The 360-degree/panoramic window design is unique to their line and cannot be replicated effectively by a Chinese knock-off company due to complexity and cost.

I could go on!

I would disagree with some of your claims and I am not saying that they don’t deliver a decent product but let’s be honest. The James Baroud tents have their fair share of major issues. The number one being the amount of cracks in their fiber glass shells. There are other companies who make a fiberglass shell tent and they have not had the same level of issues with their fiberglass cracking. To hear you say that theirs is better is just your opinion. There are other opinions that contradict yours for valid reasons. Each tent manufacturer has their own challenges and their own good points and downfalls. What separates them all is customer service and standing behind their customers and the products that they make. Chinese tents can compete with any tent made today on the market. But they can’t compete with customer service. That was my point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathansharkey80

Actually there is significantly more than just that. Aside from the fact that the tents are all completely hand-made in a family-owned factory in Portugal, the shells are all reinforced three-layer fiberglass (far more rigid and strong than any other product in the world), they each have an integrated solar-charged ventilation fan in the roof, the fabric is a polyester-aluminum synthetic with superior (and permanent) waterproofing, mold/mildew-resistance, and weight savings over the rip-stop coated poly-cotton all other manufacturers use. They also have the longest warranty and are uniquely innovative in both design and construction of every part of the tent.

For example, the lead seamstress at the factory has been sewing tent fabric for over 25 years and seamstresses must apprentice at the factory for 6 years before being allowed to sew on their own. The specialty sewing machines used are custom-designed specifically for James Baroud by a German company and take 6 months to produce. They have the only tent fabric that is not riveted onto the tent, making it more water-tight but also completely replaceable. The 360-degree/panoramic window design is unique to their line and cannot be replicated effectively by a Chinese knock-off company due to complexity and cost.

I could go on!

Any design can be copied. Even quality can be duplicated. Customer service can not be though.

Nathansharkey80

And to be clear. I am not endorsing Chinese copy products at all. In fact, I think that the Chinese products in a lot of cases shouldn’t even be allowed to be imported in to North America. Not because of trade issues. But mostly because most Chinese products just end up filling our landfills when they break. That being said, I have seen some pretty decently made products from China lately and that is good for the market for consumers. Because it forces others to compete for business by upping their game and being more innovative and providing better customer service.

Any design can be copied. Even quality can be duplicated. Customer service can not be though.

Can be copied yes. But cost effectively or well, no. The current James Baroud models have been on the market for years. Yet all of the Chinese knock-offs are of a competitors product. Interesting, no?

Nathansharkey80

Can be copied yes. But cost effectively or well, no. The current James Baroud models have been on the market for years. Yet all of the Chinese knock-offs are of a competitors product. Interesting, no?

You can’t tell me that a tent is more difficult to copy than an iphone. They have copied the iPhone for years. But you are right. I have not found a James baroud copied yet. Mind you, I haven’t looked for one though. I won’t buy a Chinese one because they have no customer service. If they had customer service, I would look for one from them.

threplogle

Sorry guys! I had written a lengthy post originally, after having just opened the box of my replacement warranty tent only to find a damaged used tent in its place....I decided to delete that post as it wouldn’t have been very helpful in the grand scheme of things. Apparently, the tent that was sent was from the old JB US distributor and the new guys (adventure-ready) thought it was new. I’ve been dealing with this warranty issue for approximately 8 months now and my patience is wearing thin. I completely understand that mistakes happen. I initially just wanted a refund and Adventure-Ready was willing to make that happen, however, after reviewing my other rtt options out there right now the JB is still at the top of my list based on features and design.

So what’s next? Well, a new shipment of tents is on its way from Portugal and should be arriving in two weeks or so. Once in, at my request, Adventure-Ready is going to open the box, snap some pics and email to me, inspect it, close it up, put it on a pallet (the first replacement tent was shipped without a pallet and was damaged by a forklift), and then shipped to me. Crossing fingers! Third times a charm, RIGHT???

I’ll update later....

ttengineer

Adventurer
Wasn’t OK4WD the JB US site owner and distributor?

I think there has been a little drama with them and Adventure ready in the past too. Something about Adventure ready dropping Alucab. I think all those posts ended up being deleted though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Wasn’t OK4WD the JB US site owner and distributor?

I think there has been a little drama with them and Adventure ready in the past too. Something about Adventure ready dropping Alucab. I think all those posts ended up being deleted though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are correct, we had quite a falling out with Adventure Ready and James Baroud for various reasons. The tent in question was one sent to Adventure Ready a bit back as a demo for a customer in Canada but after the fall out were sold to Adventure Ready. Sorry it made its way to you and added to the inconvenience.

Sorry guys! I had written a lengthy post originally, after having just opened the box of my replacement warranty tent only to find a damaged used tent in its place....I decided to delete that post as it wouldn’t have been very helpful in the grand scheme of things. Apparently, the tent that was sent was from the old JB US distributor and the new guys (adventure-ready) thought it was new. I’ve been dealing with this warranty issue for approximately 8 months now and my patience is wearing thin. I completely understand that mistakes happen. I initially just wanted a refund and Adventure-Ready was willing to make that happen, however, after reviewing my other rtt options out there right now the JB is still at the top of my list based on features and design.

So what’s next? Well, a new shipment of tents is on its way from Portugal and should be arriving in two weeks or so. Once in, at my request, Adventure-Ready is going to open the box, snap some pics and email to me, inspect it, close it up, put it on a pallet (the first replacement tent was shipped without a pallet and was damaged by a forklift), and then shipped to me. Crossing fingers! Third times a charm, RIGHT???

I’ll update later....

We’re really sorry. The tents were sold to us as new by the previous distributor as well with no understanding that we should expect otherwise. I accept complete responsibility for not opening the box before sending to you, Tom. We are in a holding pattern for your (second) replacement tent as we do not have any more of that model/color in stock. We will open it, take photos, and get it out to you ASAP when it hits our loading dock. You may or may not believe it but we have actually had a smaller rate of transport damage to tents when shipped upright without a pallet. We have done quite a bit of A/B testing on this.

Again, the tent in question was sold to us as new. This is simply in addition to the other questionable decisions (like purposefully spreading misleading information about James Baroud product and presence in the USA) after James Baroud’s decision to change distributors. I sincerely hope that the James Baroud reputation for being the best rooftop tent in the world has not been tarnished by these unfortunate shenanigans. We do have some pretty cool new things to show off at Expo West!

Last edited:

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
We’re really sorry. The tents were sold to us as new by the previous distributor as well with no understanding that we should expect otherwise. I accept complete responsibility for not opening the box before sending to you, Tom. We are in a holding pattern for your (second) replacement tent as we do not have any more of that model/color in stock. We will open it, take photos, and get it out to you ASAP when it hits our loading dock. You may or may not believe it but we have actually had a smaller rate of transport damage to tents when shipped upright without a pallet. We have done quite a bit of A/B testing on this.

Again, the tent in question was sold to us as new. This is simply in addition to the other questionable decisions (like purposefully spreading misleading information about James Baroud product and presence in the USA) after James Baroud’s decision to change distributors. I sincerely hope that the James Baroud reputation for being the best rooftop tent in the world has not been tarnished by these unfortunate shenanigans. We do have some pretty cool new things to show off at Expo West!

I literally forwarded you an email again this week where we told you they were demo tents for a Canadian customer and when we tried to get them picked up you refused. They also sat at your warehouse for nearly a year where you could have easily checked the condition or asked about them. You paid us pennies on the dollar for them and now are blaming us for this mishap?

Can we cut the drama and move on? I would appreciate it.

I literally forwarded you an email again this week where we told you they were demo tents for a Canadian customer and when we tried to get them picked up you refused. They also sat at your warehouse for nearly a year where you could have easily checked the condition or asked about them. You paid us pennies on the dollar for them and now are blaming us for this mishap?

Can we cut the drama and move on? I would appreciate it.

I’d appreciate adult, truthful, and professional behavior from you. Appears impossible. You sent the tents to us for a Canadian company to use as demos at their shop, not bought as used demo tents. Give me a break Rin. They sat at our warehouse waiting for that Canadian company to come pick them up (which I offered to coordinate for you as a favor) and only when they decided they no longer wanted them, and only after OK4WD lost their distributor rights, did you then try to sell them to three other shops in our area who are not authorized in dealers, at wholesale. When one of those shops called me about it because it seemed shady, I attempted to just purchase them from you instead to have it be done. And after weeks of ridiculous back and forth with you I got someone there with more authority to step in and resolve the problem with me.

You’re more than welcome to “stop the drama.” Just stop it then. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94