CPAP Power Questions

Oka 374

Resmed machines run on 24v DC and the Resmed supplied converter steps the 12v power from the battery up to the required voltage. Other brands of machine such as Devilbiss and Phillips machines run on 12v direct so only need a simple power lead direct from 12v to the machine. 12v direct machines are also likely to use less power as there is no voltage change required with the consequent losses.
If running either machines from an AC inverter supplying either 110/240v you need a Pure Sine Wave inverter as electronics do not like anything except clean power.
I have a Devilbiss Intellipap II in my Oka 4wd motorhome and a Phillips DS560 at home, both run on 12v direct.

Last edited:

Shadow503

I use the Transcend Auto miniCPAP Machine with their portable battery:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/transcend-ezex-cpap-machine-somnetics.html#power-tab

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Transcend-Multi-Night-Battery.html

Very small and light which is especially useful for carrying stuff up to the RTT.

That's amazing! I always assumed that I was just cursed to not be able to use my CPAP while backpacking. How do you like it? 28 hours on a charge (according to my 10cmh2o setting) would last me for most short excursions.

rayra

Expedition Leader
another option for compact batteries is space is limited or you are building a custom containment / power box anyway.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Po...5172047&sr=1-1&keywords=Replacement+UB12100-S

Those are common batteries for wheelchairs, mobility carts etc. Akin to most motorcycle batteries, but sealed. You could create an array of them to create sufficient amphour capacity, coupled with a solar panel / charge controller, to prevent a drawdown of greater than 50% for your typical trip. You could further couple the array to your vehicle charging system and also isolate it from any vehicle-connected drains, so you arrive at your camp destination fully charged and ready to use. And likewise charge them up as you move about in the vehicle between locations. And augment with the solar panel when parked.

Mgyver1

Observer
My dad uses a Philips Repironics REMstar CPAP. The power sticker on it shows it runs on 12v and uses 6.67 amps, however I believe that is at full power with the heated humidifier. After being in a position where the tent was too far from the truck, I got him an Antigravity XP10, which is Antigravity's biggest model. He tested out using the jump pack at home with the CPAP and found with the humidifier it would run less than 6 hours, however running it without the humidifier it ran 14 hours. It's a good setup as it gets used over a night or two and then can charge in the car while driving to the next destination. The jump pack is also small and portable so consider it in your many choices.

SidecarFlip

Myself, I have an S8 and I carry 2 Li-Ion packs, each one is good for a night and a half and recharge from a vehicle power port or solar panel. My 'excursions' if you will are remote area hunts from a spike camp with no power, usually accessed via horseback.

I've never had issue one using the packs on a hunt. Twin packs give me 3 days of use (without humidification) but I do have a passive humidifier if the ambient humidity is low.

All in weight of the packs and the adapters is 5 pounds, easily packable. Add in another 4 pounds for the machine and mask and I have about the weight of a hunting rifle in total.

The packs are available at CPAP.com or the CPAP store. Not cheap at 200 bucks a toss but worth every penny as I turn into a zombie without my machine.

When we are in our TC/RV, I use a AIMS Power 1500 watt PSW remote switching inverter direct wired to my 2 6 volt Trojan batteries (with appropriate sized cables) and the Inverter is hard wired to a 110 volt dedicated outlet near the bed so I can plug the machine (with heated humidifier) in at night and 8 hours of continuous use drops my total charge on the Trojans about 15% (according to my Trimetric readout).

Because we camp in the woods, solar is of no use so I recharge my batteries with a Champion 2000 watt Inverter Genny, 3 hours on 'economy' mode in the afternoon and let the on board converter charge the batteries.

Good sleep, don't come cheap....:clapsmile

KE7JFF

Adventurer
I recently got a CPAP machine, a Nice ResMed AirSense 10 which also requires 24V. However, I recently found out that the power adapter it uses is also used by HP laptops which are 24V; which somewhere I do have a DC adapter from such a laptop. Once I find it, I'll report to see how it is.

DLTooley

Observer
They should have a direct cable for about $30. 3 amps is about right, but that is at max pressure. I use a Walmart deep cycle marine in a trooping motor battery box and a 50 watt Panel. If it rains for three days I'll drive into town on the third to charge. Total cost around $200. It's a great project for a DIYer. The newer lithium combos in the 400 watt hour range are an option. Anker has there's on sale for $329.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have a Devilbiss Intellipap, which runs off of 110v or 12v. I was told it uses 1.6 amps without humidification, which I can live without. For camping I either sleep in the vehicle with the CPAP plugged into a 12v outlet, or sleep in a tent with a 25 foot 12v extension cord connected to clamps on the battery. I have a 100 ah group 31 AGM battery in the rig, so I can run the fridge and CPAP for a couple of nights without starting the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles