Coyote Flat area

Ed B

Adventurer
Heading up to the Coyote Flat area outside of Bishop later this month. I would like to try some fishing but don't fly fish. Any hope of catching anything on a spin rod in the area? In looking at the map I am thinking of trying Baker and Hidden lakes as well as Baker Creek. Coyote Lake is also close, any fish in it? Suggestions or tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Lakes and fishing

I was there last month and will be there again over the 4th. In May, spring was just arriving, water levels looked good. I'm not much of a fisherman but what little I do know and have seen bait and lures seem to do fine.

As for Coyote Lake, it drys up on years of low snowfal so don't expect to catch anything other than maybe a few frogs. The two Rocky Bottom lakes have trout and I have seen some fishermen pulling some out in both.

Mayl2007028.jpg

CoyoteLakeGHFCJuly2007044.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

KG6BWS

Explorer
small spinners and salmon eggs and a bobber might work. or you could try a "fly and bubble: rig.

wanting to head up there again myself. gettin a hankerin to go soon.

ECVMatt

Observer
Heading up there in July....

all those lakes are good. I stop in Bishop and pick up some crickets at Culver's on Main St.

No fish in coyote lake. It is seasonal, but has been full year round for the past few years.

Power bait works fine too. The fish are generally small so bring the lightest tackle you are comfortable fishing with.

There were bears at the cabins last time we went, so camp clean up there or you might have visitors.

Have fun,

Matt

matt marquardt

Adventurer
I was wondering if you were hiking or driving up into the coyote flat area?

As for fly-fishing, give it a try. I taught mysellf many years ago and rarely pick up a spinning rig. First of the season is rough because the fish are lethargic. No dry flys

Was fishing the Owens the other week and it was GOOD! The mtn.s still had alot of snow and my kid ice-fished for the first time.

Ed B

Adventurer
Driving up and setting up a base camp. I have a fly fishing club that meets in town but had a scheduling conflict when they had their last meeting. Certainly going to try it in the future but it won't be until after this trip. I got a few more cricket suggestions from guys at work so it looks like powerbait, salmon eggs and crickets appear to be the consensus. Still have some small spinners to hold in reserve. Thanks everyone for the advice, hope to have a few pictures of our success when we get back.

Later

Ed B

Adventurer
According to the ranger station some small pockets of residual snow in shaded areas but other than that they say the area is open.

Ed B

Adventurer
Reading your trip report was what convinced me I needed to get up there. Some private messages with other members as far as different spots and fishing techniques and I am good to go. Can't wait.

Later

luk4mud

Explorer
I had a trip planned for next week end up there untill the boss decided togo. Now we are headed for her girlfirend's cabin in Mammoth instead. My trip has been hijacked and domesticated!

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
The fishing at Coyote Flats is pretty good:sombrero:

Attachments

• coyote2007 114.jpg
    coyote2007 114.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 109
  • coyote2007 116.jpg
    coyote2007 116.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 101

Forum statistics

Threads